Old 15-03-2012, 10:27 AM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

CCD camera recommendations

I am looking for some advice on where to go with my astrophotography.

I am currently using a QHY9 mono with my GSO 10" RC but was thinking of moving on. Maybe one shot colour.

What would be a good fit for the GSO?

Thanks

Frank
Old 15-03-2012, 11:03 AM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Doug has done some very nice work with the QHY10 OSC.
I myself would like one.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=106561
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=102329
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=101057
Old 15-03-2012, 11:25 AM
cventer

Depends why you want to move on?

Qhy9 used 8300 chip set which is one of the better more affordable large chips around. Plus with this you can do narrowband imaging as well.

Qhy10 is nice but don't expect it to be a lot less work than mono as you typically end up splitting the osc into rgb anyway and processing as such. Qhy10 does have very low noise though so slitly less work with darks.

I find I get much better color from my light polluted suburb using a mono camera with lrgb filters than with my qhy10? Dark sky though I would use my qhy10 so I can image more targets in same amount of time.
Old 15-03-2012, 01:12 PM
gregbradley

Hard to beat Leo's setup.

He is using 10 inch GSO RC and a 4022 chipped camera with a Starlight Express AO unit.

His images are sensational. I would get exactly the same as his.

Greg.
Old 15-03-2012, 02:18 PM
cventer

ST-4000 with Kai-4022 chip is nice. 7.4 micron pixels is a good balance of pixel size vs 8300 based QHY9.

I still think you need to be clear what you will use it for and intended main scope to help this decision to change cameras or not.
Old 15-03-2012, 05:24 PM
allan gould

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=87467
The above shows my GSO 10" RC with just over an hours worth of 5 min subs with a qhy10 camera, taken with a near full moon from the near CBD of Brisvegas.
To be honest I don't know of a more severe test than this. I'd love a dark site but mine is heavily light polluted but this is what can be done when imaging time is at a premium.
Allan
Old 15-03-2012, 05:32 PM
cventer

Wow. Well there is proof. It is missing some of the color in core etc... But considering conditions pretty darn good.

Maybe I need to break out my qhy10 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=87467
The above shows my GSO 10" RC with just over an hours worth of 5 min subs with a qhy10 camera, taken with a near full moon from the near CBD of Brisvegas.
To be honest I don't know of a more severe test than this. I'd love a dark site but mine is heavily light polluted but this is what can be done when imaging time is at a premium.
Allan
Old 15-03-2012, 07:23 PM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

The QHY10 looks very interesting. Why not the QHY8 with larger pixels. Any ideas on the QSI600 series cameras?

It would also be nice to have a dual chip for guiding. I will be using the camera for straight forward imaging.

Frank

Last edited by telecasterguru; 15-03-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 15-03-2012, 08:20 PM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasterguru View Post
The QHY10 looks very interesting. Why not the QHY8 with larger pixels. Any ideas on the QSI600 series cameras?

It would also be nice to have a dual chip for guiding. I will be using the camera for straight forward imaging.

Frank
Frank
I used to have a qhy8 and to be honest I loved it. The slightly bigger pixels gobbled light, didn't need dark frames and the format was great. You had to move the IR filter out about 40mm to reduce internal reflections from really bright stars and use the internal heater that Theo sells but it was really good in a light polluted environment.
I regretted selling it as soon as I did it but then went out and got the QHY10 as I wanted slightly smaller pixels as I was influenced by my QSI 583 with its small pixels and that really sucks in details on both my GSO and Meade 10" scopes. I must say I prefer the QHY8 layout rather than the coke can format of the QHY10 as it does stick out the back of the scope and you must take care not to knock it in the observatory. But you get used to it.
I would buy a QHY10 again without hesitation especially if used with the GSO 10" RC.
Allan
Old 15-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Poita (Peter)

I am the owner of Allan's regret, and I'm glad he sold it

I won't be making the same mistake.

I really love it, it seems to laugh at light pollution, and I don't bother with dark frames any more, and it is as sensitive as all get-out.

I am experimenting now with a big-arse mono quantix, but won't be parting with the QHY8, it really is the bees knees as they say.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:25 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Frank many people (including myself) image without a self guide chip, totally not necessary. If you have even an inkling of doing NB work then once you insert the filters the guide chip will be essentially useless and you will have to get a guide camera and OAG unit or guide scope anyway.

The QSI units look good with their integrated off axis guiders but after market OAG units are plentiful these days too.

So, I would recommend a good mono camera, good filter wheel and some good filters.

I agree with Greg and the FLI ML4022 with CFW-2-7 would be the best available and a great match for your equipment, no question in my mind. Add an OAG unit (or guide scope) and cheap guide camera and you are away I have used only Astronomik filters for almost 10 years now so I guess I am happy enough with them.

Good luck with yoru quest, what ever you decide on I am sure you will move nicely into the next phase of your imaging journey

Mike