Old 07-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Russj (Russ)

PI Integration

I have a question for the PI guru's, I'm a relatively new PI'er.

I have a set of HOS fully processed and integrated masters, I also have another 5hrs of subframes ready to be processed, what is the better method of integrating the masters & subframes.

Should I process the subframes and integrate to masters and then, integrate both sets of masters, or is there another method.

cheers Russ
Old 07-04-2019, 02:48 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hi Russ,

I'm no guru, but when I manage to collect additional subs, I always integrate anew all calibrated and star-aligned subs (old+new) into new masters, selecting the best sub from the lot as a reference and tweaking rejection parameters. As far as I know, this method is best when it comes to getting the highest SNR out of your data.

You can also compare new masters that include additional data with the old ones to see how much did you gain by the additional exposure, and whether it might be worthwhile to add even more subs.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:27 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I do exactly what Suavi does
Old 08-04-2019, 08:10 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Agreed. Although it’s more time consuming you’ll get a better SNR if you integrate all of the subs together to create a NEW master.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:37 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

You'll get optimal rejection using a single large stack.

The only times when I combine integrations are when building synthetic lum from multiple filters or combining data from multiple scopes.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Russj (Russ)

Thankyou everyone for ur contributions, it makes sense to integrate a full stack.

cheers Russ
Old 09-04-2019, 10:44 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I agree, chuck everything in at once, let PI sort it out you can do integrate separate masters and may need to due to processing resources limits. regardless I find an integrated mini-master makes for a better target frame for more accurate registration and a better end result down the line. For example I work dslr so have noisey subs, if i grab a dozen subs and manually register (dynamic alignment) them then integrate them to a 64bit file, this file works much better for automated star alignment of the entire set as well as dynamic alignment of the entire set. there much less problems of noise and hot pixels getting registered as stars.

doing this you could also crop this mini-master to close to what you want and registration then results in smaller precropped files, saving drive space and processing time.

for seasonal imagers you may have no choice but you use multiple integrated masters to build a deep signal for a faint region especially when gear may have changed and automatic processing of various file formats and sizes can comlicate matters.