Old 30-03-2018, 10:55 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Batch Preprocess with an SX CCD

OK, trying to run Batch Preprocess in PI with images captured with an Starlight Xpress Sony chip CCD - which means Darks and Bias are NOT used, only flats.

BatchPreproces script crashes because it claims no master calibration files (yes, I UNCHECKED used Masters) or no overscan selected (still got NO idea how to do the overscan).

Is there a way to trick BatchPreprocess to run WITHOUT darks and bias? Can I create empty dark/bias files so it will run? OR maybe just take ONE dark file and ONE bias, and let it go?

Yes, I know I can do individual processes in the process tabs, but I am lazy...
Old 30-03-2018, 11:30 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Lewis,

I've never seen BPP crash when you don't have bias or darks. It normally just displays a warning which you can ignore. I've never seen complaints about overscan either unless you've been messing with the related parameters.

First I'd try clicking on the Reset button and starting from scratch. The second thing I'd try is doing a separate BPP run with just the flats to create a master before using it to calibrate the lights.

BTW, the use master boxes don't do what you seem to think. They just tell BPP that the first bias, dark or flat in each group is a master, not a single calibration file.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 30-03-2018, 12:29 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Rick, it shows the warning, and then when it starts (pulls up the working tab on the left), it kicks out the Fail message. I'll get a screenshot of it shortly - trying a rerun after reading a few things on the PI forum (seems I am not alone in this crash)
Old 30-03-2018, 12:41 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

OK it works if I select use master flat (even WITHOUT checking master dark/bias).

Problem solved...until nest time...

Now assessing how STUPID it was imaging RGB in a near full moon last night...not looking good
Old 30-03-2018, 12:55 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I'd be interested to see what error you were getting, Lewis. Shame about the data
Old 30-03-2018, 01:02 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Interesting - histogram shows ALL channels mis-aligned and DARK centre to the image with seemingly normally exposed edges etc - is that pure moon light issue?
Old 30-03-2018, 01:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Here is the end result, flat subtracted.

Is this caused by near full moon light, a dodgy sensor, or bad flats? (flats were all circa 26000 ADU). 10 min exposures, so I am thinking VERY well past sky-limited exposure....

Both targets of the night show similar results. This is screentransfer

Probably typical moon issue - I've never been stupid enough to try full moon RGB before LOLOLOLOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Untitled-1.jpg)
176.9 KB24 views
Old 30-03-2018, 01:33 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Could be issues other than moonage but I don't think you'll be able to tell until you take some more subs under dark skies.
Old 30-03-2018, 02:14 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The FSQ-85 definitely wasn't meant for this size sensor (3900x2616) natively, so yes, there is absoutely field curvature (equally) in all 4 corners. I may just get the new FSQ85 flattener (for larger sensors) to rectify that.

I am concerned though there may be a camera issue. Cooling was running -20°steady all night, and individual non-debayered frames appear fairly evenly illuminated. It doesn't matter in PI or CCDStack if I specify a particular bayer mosaic or if I let the program decide.
Old 30-03-2018, 03:35 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Could be flats overcorrecting or just strong gradients.
Old 31-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I feel this could be corrected with a dynamic background extraction script. Correction may require a few iterations of the script and a careful selection of multiple data points, but should be doable. A nice tutorial on how to use the script: http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/...lattening.html
Old 31-03-2018, 08:42 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Been there, done that. Nope.

DBE, ABE, BackgroundExtraction...nada