Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 28-06-2009, 03:48 PM
leon

Homemade Gimbal Mount Head

Hi Guys, well for the past few weeks I have been toying with the idea of buying a Gimble Mount Head for my Manfrotto Tripod, to carry a very large and heavy Canon Lens.

However after much research I found them much to expensive, with the one that I was looking at being $699.00, US and that is mid range for these things, so I decided to make one.

Although it may not look that professional it dose the job perfectly, and was tested with a 25kg load on the mounting plate, so I'm sure it will carry a large Lens.

It was built from scrap steel that I had in the shed, and the purchase of 4 Lawnmower wheel bearings, all up it cost $27.50 in bought parts, and some deep thought, and a bit of welding.

Anyway I reckon it come up pretty well.

The first pic is of the Gimble Mount Head that I was considering buying, and the next ones speak for themselves.

Leon
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (BWG-Pro1-web.jpg)
41.3 KB538 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0023.jpg)
90.3 KB794 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0022.jpg)
93.4 KB595 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0015.jpg)
94.2 KB602 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0026.jpg)
188.1 KB725 views

Last edited by leon; 30-06-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 28-06-2009, 03:52 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Leon - looks great, you should sell them yourself...are you going to put a 300mm prime on it?
Old 28-06-2009, 06:21 PM
scopemankit (Chris)
just build it!

Great stuff Leon.
A true TM style! Running on a ZImbabwe (non existant) pension, I must make everything except my eyepieces and DSLR. It gives you a great sense of achievement.
Super job!
Old 28-06-2009, 07:43 PM
leon

Thanks guys, no Daniel I don't intend to make and sell, I usually make my own stuff other than the optical/electronic side of the imaging trail, as obviously Chris dose as well.

As long as it dose the job and looks half decent, I'm happy.

Leon
Old 28-06-2009, 08:21 PM
mercedes_sl1970

Hi Leon

That looks like an impressive mount. Well done.

Just curious about the bearings and the housings you used - could you expand a little on them and especially how they are attached at the bottom?

Thanks

Andrew
Old 28-06-2009, 09:18 PM
leon

Andrew, the bearings have a small lip on them and the actual bearings are about 2 mm less in diameter than the outside diameter of the whole bearing which includes this small lip.

I inserted these bearing into a housing (two small sections of steel pipe) which was a snug fit for the inside diameter of the bearings, about 25mm.

These housings were slipped over a solid small length of steel rod which was attached to the main arm, exactly the same diameter as the inside of the bearings.

This rod was drilled through the center and tapped with a quarter inch thread, and a short 1/4 inch bold was screwed in to push up to the bearing, which in turn would fit snug and firm againt the main arm.

Both housing are the same, but the bottom one is attached as well to two round bits of steel plate and then drilled and tapped from the bottom up with a 3/8 thread which will screw to the existing tripod screw once the head has been removed.

Hope this helps a bit, maybe I should take it a part and photograph the procedure showing the construction, if I do I will post it here in a day or two.

Leon

Last edited by leon; 29-06-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added info
Old 29-06-2009, 08:59 AM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Nice bit of engineering, very impressive
Old 29-06-2009, 09:48 AM
BerrieK

Looks good Leon, good on you. Nice end product, even better price.I really admire you clever folks who can engineer / manufacture / build your own gear.

Kerrie

Last edited by BerrieK; 29-06-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling gumby
Old 29-06-2009, 03:52 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Hi Leon - Beautiful job - I think you have redefined the meaning of
"home made"! Cheers Peter
Old 29-06-2009, 06:16 PM
mercedes_sl1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Andrew, the bearings have a small lip on them and the actual bearings are about 2 mm less in diameter than the outside diameter of the whole bearing which includes this small lip.

I inserted these bearing into a housing (two small sections of steel pipe) which was a snug fit for the inside diameter of the bearings, about 25mm.

These housings were slipped over a solid small length of steel rod which was attached to the main arm, exactly the same diameter as the inside of the bearings.

This rod was drilled through the center and tapped with a quarter inch thread, and a short 1/4 inch bold was screwed in to push up to the bearing, which in turn would fit snug and firm againt the main arm.

Both housing are the same, but the bottom one is attached as well to two round bits of steel plate and then drilled and tapped from the bottom up with a 3/8 thread which will screw to the existing tripod screw once the head has been removed.

Hope this helps a bit, maybe I should take it a part and photograph the procedure showing the construction, if I do I will post it here in a day or two.

Leon
Leon - thank you, I appreciate the explanation. And if you do get the chance to take a couple of photos, even better!

All the best

Andrew
Old 29-06-2009, 06:32 PM
leon

Kerrie, Adam, and others, many thanks for your kind words, it is great to be able to fiddle around in the shed and come up with something half decent and workable.
I get a great sense of satisfaction, especially when it works.

Leon