Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 25-11-2009, 06:30 PM
jase (Jason)

Peter, I think you'll agree there are too many variables to base such an assessment on total integrated exposure time alone. Though, doubling the integration time philosophy you present sounds plausible. If you haven't already done so, take a look at Tony Hallas' presentation. The presentation doesn't read well in an offline state as there are slides with no explanation - you had to have been there...but you'll get an ideal of what he's indicating. Everyone has different concepts and ideas to the quantity of data and I seriously don't believe there is a straight answer. Most would struggle to identify the difference between 8 and 12 or 16 hrs of data, given careful processing and noise reduction.

For the benefit of others, Tony suggests removing black pixels using the colour range and median (filter) tools. This process is a slight deviation from "Tony's Green Pixel Gun" technique. By first removing black pixels, the noise reduction algorithm doesn't need to work as hard. Logical and effective.
Old 25-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Ive certainly found precisely that. Doubling exposure time produces visible improvement. When it gets to 8 hrs and above though, its not the raw stacked image that improves that much, but the extra deconvolution filtering and sharpening that can be applied without artifacts and noise appearing (with the extra flux density). Not that this is everyones cup of tea, but I have applied up to 200 itterations of deconvolution with 16hrs and above of Ha exposure (particularly 3nm Ha) and the extra detail that can be extracted is extraordinary with little noise or artifacts.

Last edited by Bassnut; 25-11-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 26-11-2009, 09:22 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Officina Stellare appeared to be new comers to the field, however they have similar look as A&M so think its simply a spin off company. If there was a bit of gear that did impress me most was their rendition of the Riccardi Honders. As you'll note in the Astrophyics post, they too have produced an RH. The Officina Stellare kit is pictured below - Veloce RH300

300mm (12") F/3 astrograph. Flat 60mm image circle size. 900mm F/L in a very compact tube.
They are the same company but changed their name to stop confusion with Astrotech cheaper end scopes.

Greg.
Old 27-11-2009, 10:13 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
They are the same company but changed their name to stop confusion with Astrotech cheaper end scopes.

Greg.

Indeed, this is true.. I was looking at the A&M website just the other day... felt like drooling over the 152 F/8 TMB lens scope they have and the site was all but gone, its still got the general site layout, and a bit of text mentioning the change to "Officina Stellare" naming, and a link to the new URL... When I had a look at the Officina Stellare site, it was full of all the wonderful looking A&M scopes, just re-branded..
Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Phil Hart

great reports jase.. and thanks for the heads up that we can get the presentations.. might actually have time to look at them say by around.. maybe march?