Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

3D Printing Jobs.

Hi.

Anyone on here that can do 3D printing jobs for others? I have a bracket for my camera that I want to modify as the current design is terrible and is now broken. I have someone who can draw it in a CAD program if required. I am happy to pay for materials and time.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I know Meru was doing it for a while but I haven’t seen him on these boards for quite some time. Married life
Old 05-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Aaah...yes....I think he did my Bahtinov mask. I'll PM him but if anyone else can do it, please chime in.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:33 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

I can do prints up to 100 mm cube. I need a 3D CAD model (or accurate measurements) to be able to print such a part. You can sometimes find ready-made files for free download at Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/

I charge only for the cost of the part, plus postage, and round up a couple of bucks for my time (and the beer consumed while printing ) - about $10 - $12 for most typical parts if the 3D file is provided or easy enough to generate, maybe a bit more if I need to spend a bit of time to create the CAD model.

PM me if interested.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Pepper (Steve)

My printer should be here tomorrow. Once I get it up and going I’ll offer it’s services.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:19 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Hello Julian and Steve.

Thank you for the replies, I will get it drawn up over the next week or so(my son is a fitter, machinist, CNC programmer and CNC machinist and always busy) as soon as I can and forward it on.

Please do not be upset if I choose one or the other, it is not personal reflection (said in your best Kosh voice).

Cheers and clears.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:55 PM
snowyskiesau

I'd be willing give it a go on the same basis as julianh72, except in my case, paying for coffee :-).
I can do up to 235x235x250 in PLA, most colours (black preferred as I buy that in 3Kg reels)
Just need a suitable CAD file or STL.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Sezme
Fledgling

I can also look at this for coffee! Perhaps a little closer geographically also if it saves some postage.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

I've recently had a couple of things 3D printed for me by IIS members.
Julian printed a mount adapter for a Rigel Quikfinder, thanks again Julian!
Another member printed a Bahtinov mask for me, I won't identify him as he hasn't put his hand up on this thread yet.
As Julian mentioned, www.thingiverse.com has a host of 'things' people have printed together with the necessary files.
That's where I got the file for the Quikfinder adapter.
Definitely worth checking out, you may just find the file you need.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:50 AM
snowyskiesau

I'm currently building an OnStep controller and I've found stepper mounts and case designs for this on Thingiverse. A lot easier than designing your own!
Old 06-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Stefan Buda

Most of the designs I published on Thingiverse are astro related:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...85dc21d298ee09
Old 06-11-2019, 12:37 PM
snowyskiesau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Buda View Post
Most of the designs I published on Thingiverse are astro related:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...85dc21d298ee09

I like the glow handle for the mount. I must print one of those while the luminous filament is still in the printer :-)
EDIT: They look great!

Last edited by snowyskiesau; 07-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:59 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

What I need is a new cable retainer for a QHY9. The original is broken and the screws to hold it together are in the wrong spot. I wish to have a new one made with a modification for the screw positions being outside of the screws that retain it to the camera, not in front of them. Thinking that will probably not be on Thingiverse.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:56 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
What I need is a new cable retainer for a QHY9.
General principles for creating a 3D model file for a custom part:

If it's based on an existing design, take accurate measurements of the original part (digital calipers are invaluable for this!), and create a sketch. Make a note of which dimensions are critical (e.g. has to be an exact fit to or inside another part), and which are non-critical (it wouldn't matter if the dimension increased or decreased by a few mm).

Think if there's a "better way" of ensuring good functionality and fit up - e.g. if the part has to be screw-fixed to another part, rather than trying to place precision holes at exact locations, could we use slightly oversized holes, and use screws and washers to join the parts? If the original injection-moulded part uses some sort of snap-fit, can we achieve the same precision of fit with a 3D-printed part? Mechanical hinges can often be replaced with a one-piece 3D-print with a hinge incorporated into the design.

Think about the limitations of the manufacturing technology - e.g. 3D printed parts shrink a bit after printing; you may want to print it slightly over-size if it has to fit over another part, or slightly under-size if it has to fit inside another part. "Precision fits" are often best achieved by printing with a bit of over-size "wastage", and then grinding or sanding down to fit after the print is finished. Overhangs can be difficult to print cleanly; very thin walls can be a problem; parts can be printed truly hollow, or with a honeycomb core of variable "density", or truly solid (rarely needed); etc. Modify the design if necessary to optimise the print.

I create my model files using a proper professional MCAD package, but amateurs without 3D CAD skills may be limited in what they can create using low-cost or free tools such as TinkerCAD or Sketch-Up. With professional MCAD, you can create very complex shapes, with variable fillets and blends, etc, but with basic tools, you may be limited to using simpler graphical "primitives" such as cubes, cylinders, wedges, etc.

Do a quick trial print to see how accurately the part prints, whether it can be improved for printability and / or functionality, and whether it is robust enough to survive the intended duty.

Modify the design if necessary, and run a slower, higher-precision print.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 PM
dikman (Richard)

One of the biggest issues is designing something that doesn't need supports. It's almost impossible to get a good finish on parts that need supports.

Bart, where are you in Adelaide?
Old 06-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Thanks Julian, good advice although my son is likely aware of all this. I will pass it along though.

Hi Richard, I'm near Ingle Farm although my scope and camera is in Tanunda. Would not be hard to get the part if needed.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:06 PM
dikman (Richard)

I'm up at Crafers, if that's any help with getting the part. All I'll need is the .stl file, as long as it fits on a 200x200 mm bed it's no problem to print it.
Just another option for you.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

It is quite a small part, less than 100 mm long, about 20 mm wide and thick, sounds like it will fit.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 AM
dikman (Richard)

No worries, if you want me to print it let me know.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:11 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I rarely do prints for others, often turns into a headache due to poor information and understanding of the person. if you can get a good design made I can highly recommend Shapeways to get it printed. more pricey than typical fdm printing but fit and finish are superb and you have better options for print material which can be vital on the use of the part. I started 3D modelling in the mid 80s and its laughably easy to get into these days with many powerful free tools.