Old 20-07-2016, 09:25 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Experimental Star removal technique

Regarding stars, fwiw I have been experimenting with a new technique for NB imaging to retain "Natural" RGB star colours.
Maybe it's just me but I think magenta stars look very un-natural on NB images.

Instead of completely removing the stars from the Ha/O3 & S2 stacks with Straton or a PS action and potentially degrading the image quality, I've been using several iterations of Annies' Astro Actions "Reduce Star Size" to simply make them a LOT smaller.

Then after the image files are stacked/aligned/hue/saturation etc. I'm using PS>Filter> Noise>remove colour noise to remove the offending star colours. see http://bf-astro.com/hubblep.htm

Then I place my aligned RGB stars as a layer over the top using "Lighter colour" blend mode and viola, happy natural coloured stars and a sharp image.

The remaining tiny stars are basically white and dim so they don't bother me, as long as the main larger ones are a natural colour.

Has anyone else tried something like this?
Old 20-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It's the basic premise behind what I tried doing last night with my Prawn but I went a little too heavy with the star reduction.
Old 20-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Would love to see an example of this posted, maybe with a before/after if you have the time. :-)
Old 20-07-2016, 12:33 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Likewise please.

Paul
Old 20-07-2016, 12:43 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I remove stars from the NB colour and leave them in the NB luminance. That produces an image with mostly white stars. Then, if I feel like adding colour to the stars I blend chrominance data through a star mask, either from a RGB combine or a NB colour mix.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 21-07-2016, 10:11 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Agree Andy, magenta stars suck. Some good ideas there, we all seem to have our own approaches.

If you develop a Cloud Removal technique, let us know!
Old 21-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Stonius (Markus)

I always find a Vogon constructor fleet gets the job done. :-)
Old 22-07-2016, 07:44 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I use parts of Geralds video tutorials for enhancing nebulosity in pixinsight. His process basically reduces bright stars down to smaller and its a process you can run a couple of times to remove all the stars, so nebulosity can be brought out then the stars put back later. But following the tutorial I find often the star reduction process gives me sharper rounder more colour looking stars. For you PixInsight I can't recommend Geralds videos enough and for everyone else give them a watch and you might find the same sort of tools in your package of choice. He has some great approaches to universal problems and I never would have thought of using some of the tools in PixInsight for other purposes.