Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 24-08-2020, 07:56 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Sky safari 5 plus stopped working?

Hi, a bit of a disaster for myself tonight in a few different ways.
The main one is the app called Sky safari 5 plus.

Now i am not the best with technology especially when it comes to phones, but can normally work things through to find out what is going on.

So, I have a android phone that i installed Sky safari 5 plus about a year or maybe 2 ago.
Has been working a few days ago but not so much now.

So by this i mean the compass part of it is the one not working now, I use the program to find stars to do my alignment with as i still haven't learned the main ones.

The program now just basically runs like it would if there was no GPS connection, so you can move up and down and the screen moves up and down, but if you say turn 180 degrees around, you still get the same screen and it still moves up and down.

I have tried tapping on the compass, but that just either turns it off or on.

I don't run data on my phone, i just use wifi from the house and have the location turned on.

It has worked fine since i have been using it, just stopped this week, the same exact time as i git my new AZ-EQ6 mount to try out funny enough.

Definately not related, as i have come back inside to have a play around to see if i can get sky safari working as it use to, but no luck.

The location on the phone seems to be working ok as when you go into Sky Safari settings, i can definitely see my correct locations, as i also have another app that tells me the information to put in the handset every time i turn it on, this app is also working fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on, or do i have to somehow delete this app and get the latter Sky safari 6 version?
Or move over to stellarium?

Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Granada
The truth is out there

Might be worth just reinstalling the app Peter, I've had issues with Sky Safari in past but a reinstall resets all the settings to factory defaults. Failing that you may wish to check that your phone compass is working as it should - try to use an app that uses the compass and see how you go.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:35 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

All good, just went ahead and updated to Skysafari 6 Plus, works a treat now.