Old 24-12-2016, 10:33 AM
skiff238 (Carl)

Skiff238

I've purchased a Meade LX90 1 year ago and still can't get it to work. Won't find anything including north following the directions. Makes noise moves all over the place but nothing. Won't even find the moon. HELP!
Old 24-12-2016, 07:38 PM
StuTodd

Hi Skiff.

Your LX90 is a great scope so please don't be disheartened by this. You need to set up the scope and mount by correct orientation/balance etc. Google is your friend here.

Try "Jan's LX90 pages" at http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/, seems to have all the set up info you could ever need!

There are Youtube videos demonstrating setting up too, hope this helps you?

Clear skies and merry christmas,

Stu
Old 25-12-2016, 10:14 AM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Skiff

Did you buy the scope new or used?

I ask because you say "Won't find anything including north following the directions"

If your scope has Level North Technology (LNT) that may be your problem.

I have read that it is not good.

Also, inside your house, just plonk it on the floor, point it roughly north, turn on.

Go through the Easy two star alignment procedure.

This should test that the scope works.

There are a few other things you could also check in the handset.

In the menus are settings telling the controller what type and size of scope it is etc. I suggest checking these.

You may also need to train the drives.

For most of this, you will need a copy of the manual. Do you have one?
It can be downloaded.

Good luck
Old 25-12-2016, 06:56 PM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiff238 View Post
I've purchased a Meade LX90 1 year ago and still can't get it to work. Won't find anything including north following the directions. Makes noise moves all over the place but nothing. Won't even find the moon. HELP!
I presume you bought this used because if you bought it new Meade would have fixed or replaced a defective scope.

the LX90 uses the Autostar or the Audiostar system which is similar or the same as my Meade ETX 80. I can tell you the system works but that does not help you.

LX90 is the designation for the mount. It is available with a number of different optical tube assemblies. Which do you have?
http://www.meade.com/products/telescopes/lx90.html

Manual
http://www.meade.com/downloads/dl/fi..._sc_manual.pdf

On Page 16 it tells you how to use the scope manually. Have you done this successfully?

OBSERVING Observing By Moving the Telescope Manually If you wish to observe a distant land object, such as a mountain top or a bird, you can observe by merely pointing the telescope and looking through the eyepiece.
  • 1. Loosen the telescope’s R.A. lock (Pg. 7, Fig. 1, 9) and Dec. lock (Pg. 7, Fig. 1, 6).
  • 2. Move your telescope to observe distant street signs, mountains, trees, and other structures. Use the viewfinder to to help site-in on an object.
  • 3. Center the object with viewfinder’s cross hairs and then in the telescope eyepiece. When the object is centered in your eyepiece, remember to re-tighten the R.A. and Dec. locks.
  • 4. Practice focusing objects with the focus knob (Fig. 1, 8). 5. Once you get a feel for how your telescope moves and focuses, try to view something more challenging, like a bird or a distant moving train.
The LOCKS

Note that in order for the Goto system to move the scope you have to lock the RA and Dec clutches or the motors will not be able to properly move the scope. The scope may move but the motors will be slipping.

Initialization

On page 18 is the initialization procedure. If this is not done properly the scope will not find anything.

On page 19 is the 2 star alignment procedure. Have you tried this. When nothing else work, this normally works.