ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-12-2015, 09:36 PM
caj1311 (Cindi)

Lunar Libration

I have been reading my Astronomy 2016 Australia book, and have come across the term lunar libration. I have googled it and think I understand the different types of lunar libration, but in the book they talk about maximum and minimum. From the context I assume that "maximum libration" is a good time to view the moon (obviously depending on other things like moon phase etc) but I don't actually understand what the maximum and minimum are referring to? Google has not been helpful in this regard. Can anyone explain it to me?
Old 30-12-2015, 02:47 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Cindi,

Lunar libration refers to the wobble that the Moon has. This wobble allows features on the far side of the Moon to become fleetingly visible to us along the limb of the Moon.

This little clip gives an idea of what libration looks like over the course of a lunar 'day':

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...2007_450px.gif

From the clip, you will see two things: One, the Moon appears to get bigger and smaller - this is because of the elliptical nature of the Moon's orbit; two, along the limb, you will see that features along it come and go from view - this is libration.

Libration is not constant over the lunar cycle. It is cyclical, but its period is much longer than the lunar 'day'. So for instance, to catch a glimpse of Mare Orinetale, the timing to view it is for a few successive months and only for very specific periods of the phase for those months, then the libration cycle takes it out of view for the next few months. Libration has a cycle, and this is what I believe you may be asking about in reference to maximum and minimum libration.

Libration actually allows us to see something like 60% to 65% of the total lunar surface, not just 50% if there was no wobble in the Moon's orbit.

There are special charts to give the timing of when certain far side lunar features can be viewed. Looking at these charts is when the longer period of the whole libration cycle can be noticed. The better quality lunar map apps for smart phones will also show this libration period for far side features.

I hope this answers your question,

Mental.

Last edited by mental4astro; 30-12-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 30-12-2015, 04:27 PM
caj1311 (Cindi)

That is an awesome reply Alexander - totally answered my question - thanks!
Old 31-12-2015, 12:43 AM
csb (Craig)

Thanks Alex, very easy to understand.

I've certainly learned something useful - I am just starting to get into lunar observing and chasing the features.