ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-09-2015, 09:24 PM
gigglebottom (Gavin)
Rocket Rider

A short intro

Hi,

This feels a bit like a blind date.... especially with the clouds that have just rolled in here in Katoomba, NSW.

This is my first post to simply say "hello". Been browsing this fine forum a while. Lots of great info and shared knowledge. Thanks to all.

I picked up a Celestron 130SLT real cheap a few weeks ago and after several nights of sheer wonder, even with the mag 5 shakes this thing possesses, I am hooked! Now I am looking to fit an ethos to this rig , light the fuse and wave to the ISS as I pass it by. Yes, I know..., but I am star struck and the sky is the limit.

I have heard a rumour of star parties that happen on occasion at the old airfield in Katoomba and these may be organized by a member of this fine forum. Can anyone share some insight into these? I am a complete newb, but hey I have to ask questions of someone right?

Again thanks for all the great info. Looking forward to sharing some more wonder in the bright star lit future.

Gav
Old 18-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

welcome to the hobby and the boards. it certainly sounds like you have been bitten by the astronomy bug. I look forward to seeing you post your progress and observations
Old 18-09-2015, 10:44 PM
raymo

Hi Gavin, and welcome from me. You can improve the stability of
your 130 SLT by suspending a weight [say 4 or 5kg] under the tripod.
raymo
Old 19-09-2015, 08:25 AM
gigglebottom (Gavin)
Rocket Rider

Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks Aidan and Raymo.

And thanks for the tip Raymo. I will add some weight to below decks. I have read of a few other things I can do to help with the shaking of this scope too, but I will limit these mods to the cheapest possible as I don't think the scope is worth investing too much money into. Of course adding the weight is cheap cheap. Setting it up the lawn (weeds?) helps a little too.

I will use this scope to learn my way through the sky, then upgrade once I know my Vega from my Omega.

Clouds predicted for the next week....not much to do except window shop and spend some virtual money.

Gav
Old 20-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Wavytone

Hi Gavin,

You're correct in thinking some of us used to gather at the Katoomba airfield. We have ceased for the time being as the owner is n poor health and its not clear whether we can go there again and we are looking for another site. The other aspect is the weather has been very poor for the past 18 months with clouds wiping out most of the observing nights, to the extent some of us have resorted to setting up at home on weeknights when its clear.

There are a few other dark sky sites I've used over the years, if you are interested:

- there's a good rock shelf a few hundred metres down NarrowNeck Road, big enough for 1-2 cars and a couple of large scopes, though the proximity to Katoomba means its not particularly dark.
- Cahill's lookout is good, if you have a small scope you can carry to the marker down the path.
- Hargraves Lookout, at the south end of Shipley plateau a few minutes out of Blackheath, quite good.
- Mount Blackheath, northwest end of Shipley plateau, also quite good and there are fireplaces and picnic benches;
- Hassans Walls (above Lithgow);
- Disused airstrip on Bells Line of Road, its between Clarence and Lithgow. You'll need GPS to find this as its not easy to spot from the road;
- Mt Banks upper carpark, off Bells Line of Rd.

Leura oval is also dark, though the dew is terrible there.

There are no locations at Mt Wilson that I can recommend.

Last edited by Wavytone; 20-09-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 20-09-2015, 02:02 PM
gigglebottom (Gavin)
Rocket Rider

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the suggestions, Wavytone. We can't help the weather, especially in the mountains!

I will give a couple of these sites a try in the coming weeks. I was also thinking Kings Tablelands at Wentworth Falls may be ok too.

More than the dark sites, I am interested in catching up with some local observers to chew the fat with, ask lots of questions of, learn from, share mistakes with, tell exaggerated stories too etc...all that old fashioned face-to-face stuff.

I have also heard that WSAAG (Western Sydney Astronomers) meet at Linden observatory sometimes, so I will get in touch with them soon.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Feel free to PM me if you know of any local observing nights in the Katoomba area that I could tag-along too.

Gav