Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
milkyway_dingo (Simon)

Question Noob Power; Nexstar 8SE, batteries & supplies?

Good Day Everybody!

So I have just put down my final deposit for my Celestron Nexstar 8SE, which after much deliberation, I have decided to be my first telescope.

The main issue I need to address right now is that of power for the base.

I am aware of the potential frustration with trying to deal with only the 8X AA batteries which the unit is designed to take; However I do want (maybe two sets) of good batteries to go in there, at the very least so I have *some* power to get started, but moreso as redundancy, incase the main power connector comes undone & the scope loses track.

I would like to have about 3 power options, & I really have hit a wall at the moment with figuring out just what I will need.

1) What are some AA batteries, preferrably rechargable, that will do the job?
I have looked at the Eneloops; I already have 8 of them, & they seem like decent batteries, however will they be enough power? Would it be better to get the eneloop pros (the black ones)?

2) Are these kinds of jump packs *safe* for our scopes? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/POWERTECH...item35e86d8a03

Are the 12V outputs on this properly regulated? Will they provide 'clean' power to the scope, or will I need to stick another inverter or something between the 12V ciggy-out plugs & the scope?

3) Are these suitable to supply power from the mains to the scope on its own?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100W-Univ...item488118ffef

Our front deck is not tooo bad for viewing the sky, & there is a 240V GPO right there, so I would like to be able to power straight off the mains when I'm setup.

Also, I am assuming that my 8SE will *not* come with the 12V-ciggy-plug-to-scope cable, like these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Celestron...item41561c9976

Anybody know where I can get one (besides these eBay ones which I think are too expensive, too far away, & will take too long to ship to me)?

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I will have more questions as things progress closer to first light.

I would just like to say that I am pretty much a complete beginner at this. There has been an absolute mountain to climb with just trying to even *buy* a scope; It's going to be even more fun with everything I have to learn to *use* the thing! xD
But one thing at a time, I need to get power requirements organized next.

Dew Shield is paid for & will be on its way from QLD soon enough
Old 04-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Weird1 (Keith)

8SE Power

G'day Simon,
Welcome to the forum, congrats on your purchase of 8SE, in answer to your power questions

1. Alkaline batteries are the best value. Rechargeable batteries don't have the power, they are good for 1.2 volts each (8 x 1.2 = 9.6v)

2. Powerpacks are fine, I use a SCA 1900 Amp Jump Starter and it gives me a couple of nights of power without problems.

3. The computer power pack you show the link to WILL KILL your scope, its lowest power output is 15V.

You can get a power cord at Jaycar or similar places just make sure that centre pin is 2.1 mm not 2.5, it should not cost you more than $15.

On this forum there are many helpful people and a great deal of info, do not be afraid of asking even the most basic of question there will be someone who will help. .

Cheers Keith.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:20 AM
milkyway_dingo (Simon)

Thanks Keith (that's my middle name, haha!),

Really prompt & helpful advice =)

I might actually duck down to Jaycar in a little while & see what they have on the floor, & possibly Supercheap aswell & look for a pack.

I've tried to make it as far as I possibly could before asking for help. Telescopes seem like a huge thing to get into; There's just sooo much to know, & that's okay, but it is rather daunting for a beginner.

However, I bet the reward is definitely worth it!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:29 AM
rrussell1962

I would also seriously consider buying or making a dew shield. In fact I would say it is necessary for the 8SE. Another option you could consider for power is one of the Lithium Ion jumpstarter packs that have been around for a while now. I use one which has a 12V output and a USB output. Weighs around 400g and is about half the size of a paperback book. It is good for a nights use powering the mount. A bit pricey though. Although it is good for mount power it does not have enough storage to be of any use for dew heaters etc. I think from memory it holds 17 amp hours fully charged.

I am sure you will enjoy the Nexstar 8SE. I bought mine in 2010 and have been using it quite a bit recently. In my opinion it really is a very nice practical telescope, easy to set up, portable and gives decent views.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:45 AM
milkyway_dingo (Simon)

Hi russel,

Thanks for the advice =)

I've seen those little jump packs; Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_pzljtJapE

Yes, I came to the conclusion after abit of reading on here & on other websites over the past few weeks, that a dew shield would be pretty necessary.
So I found one from a place in Queensland. It will be shipped this afternoon, an Astrozap heated dew shield.
If I hadn't found that, then I would have just done what a lot of people seem to do & cut up some camping mats
Old 04-08-2015, 10:58 AM
rrussell1962

Yep, that is very similar to the one I use. If you do buy one just make sure it has the 12v and USB outputs. Some I looked at don't. The torch on the end is easy to turn on by accident so I put some black duct tape over it and over the bright blue power status lights. I have the Astrozap dew shield and it works nicely, I don't usually need to use the heater on it. If you do want to use the heater you will need a separate controller for the heater which is terminated with an RCA phono plug.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Welcome to IIS and congrats on your new scope!

I would suggest an AGM type battery. You should be able to get one with plenty of capacity for scope and dew heater for less than that jump start pack.

Then just connect up with crocodile clips to a ciggy socket. Jaycar usually carry the ciggy to 2.1mm cables for less than $5. Ask them to check that it is centre positive before you buy.

I've never had problems with the cable falling out of the scope. Batteries don't last very long, so focus on a small lithium or AGM battery and invest in a good charger to keep it topped up.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 PM
raymo

Scopes don't need clean power, any 12v power source is fine. I have
been using old car batteries on a number of different mounts for
almost 40 years. A motor cycle battery powers an SE8 nicely, but not
other accessories such as dew heaters. Very occasionally, if my battery is not available, I run my HEQ5 directly off a 2.5 amp battery
charger.
raymo
Old 04-08-2015, 02:09 PM
rrussell1962

So that you don't spend money that could better be spent on eyepieces I feel obliged to say that I have the Lithium Ion starter as a convenient grab and go power source that just stays attached to the tripod with some hook and loop tape. As a cost effective solution all of the other ideas presented here are certainly better. But I was seduced by the convenience!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:54 PM
milkyway_dingo (Simon)

So a big Thank You too you all for making me feel welcome

Also I must express a great deal of appreciation for the advice given; I was hitting a wall & you all helped put me back on track

Soo now... For my portable power supply, I took Keiths advice & picked up the 1900 Jumpstarter (38Ah battery) from Supercheap, about $200.
I went with this over the 6in1 Powertech from eBay because it's like twice the capacity for only about 50% more cost; & if I am going to lug around so much weight, I don't want that to include dead weight from something irrelevant like an air compressor

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400967479...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Powertech 6in1 - 18Ah SLA

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations
SCA Jumppack - 38Ah SLA

The lithium jump-packs are certainly seductive. I think that might be something added to the kit later on; I guess there will be some instances where a small & light power source will be preferrable.

I did go down to Jaycar as well, & had a chat with them. They had these on the shelf, but I didn't like the cable length (50cm).
He did recommend to me that I try this cable instead, because of the better cable, & getting another connector to go on the end so that it is 2.1mm. They didn't have that 'better' cable in stock, so I will go back down in the next day or two when they should have them. Get the right connector, make that up so it's all neat & tip positive, & that should be good to go.

Also, the Dew Shield has arrived today. Going to go unbox in a minute & take a look, & see what i need to do in regards to making up connections for that.

Aaaaand in other news.... OpticsCentral emailed me earlier, saying that they received the final payment. They are getting it ready to ship out, & should be on it's way about now.

Shiny new Celestron Nexstar 8SE...... Very soon now...