Old 20-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Bendy (Ben)

Saturn!

Hi All

It might be a very newbie thing to do, but I have to share my excitement in seeing Saturns rings for the first time last night - I'm stoked!

The dodgy binos I'd been using for months revealed nothing but with my new (old) 114/900 they stand out clear as day.

Also got a good look at Jupiter and Omega Centauri last night.

Loving the hobby

Bendy

P.S. are there any objects currently visible that people would recommend for a 114/900? I love glob. clusters and would like to see some galaxies if at all possible.
Old 20-05-2015, 03:04 PM
tileys

Maybe try M10 - that looked great the other night.

Also try M4 - also looked impressive.

M10 and M4 are both globs.

I also looked at M12, M9 and M23 (open cluster) and the jewel box - all looked good but M10 and 4 were the pick.

Also try Eta Carinae (neb) and maybe the Orion Neb (M42) - will look grey through the scope - the colours can't easily be picked up apart from with a long exposure sadly.

For galaxies maybe M83 ?

Good to see your enthusiasm
Old 20-05-2015, 04:25 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

As above, M4 in Scorpius is pretty easy to see. There are a couple of nice open clusters C76, M6 and M7 also in Scorpius.

Galaxies are going to require really good seeing conditions and dark adaptation. Again, as recommended above M83 and maybe M104 and Centaurus A. It's going to be tough!
Old 20-05-2015, 05:04 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

I first saw the "Leo Trio" in a scope like yours, all in the same field of view, so if you can find a relatively dark northern sky they are well worth a look too. (M65, M66 and NGC3628)
The Lagoon (M8), Triffid (M20) and Swan/Omega (M17) can all look really nice in that scope too.
Basically anything in the Messier and Caldwell catalogues are worth chasing in your scope, and once you have mastered them, start on the NGC catalogue!
Any galaxy brighter than around 9th magnitude should be relatively easy to see- but don't expect Hubble images!
It is amazing what you can see in a 114mm scope if you can get away from the town lights...
Have fun!

- Dean
Old 20-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Chif (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendy View Post
Hi All

It might be a very newbie thing to do, but I have to share my excitement in seeing Saturns rings for the first time last night - I'm stoked!

The dodgy binos I'd been using for months revealed nothing but with my new (old) 114/900 they stand out clear as day.

Also got a good look at Jupiter and Omega Centauri last night.

Loving the hobby

Bendy

P.S. are there any objects currently visible that people would recommend for a 114/900? I love glob. clusters and would like to see some galaxies if at all possible.

Saturn is still one of the most exciting things in the sky to see I rekon. Such a strange sight to see.
Old 20-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Nice one mate,

Saturn is my most favourite thing in the night sky. One of the first few objects I saw for the first time through my (very very very average) cheap telescope as a kid. I still remember the orientation of the rings - and every year since watch the rings change position much better than that big blob of a planet called Jupiter
Old 20-05-2015, 06:10 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chif View Post
Saturn is still one of the most exciting things in the sky to see I rekon. Such a strange sight to see.
I agree! I'm only a newbie but I think it's the one thing that I will always go back to. It walks all over Jupiter (sorry Jupiter!)

Last edited by BilliGoatsGruff; 20-05-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 20-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Rod771 (Rod)
Turn the lights off!

Very cool, Ben!

I first saw Saturn through my Tasco TR-11 114mm. I'll never forget the experience either, so exciting seeing it for the first time.

Enjoy your astronomical journey!

Cheers

Rod
Old 20-05-2015, 09:08 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

if you have dark skies, go for another impressive Saturn like object, the ghost of Saturn. ... http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenu...es/000585.html

matt
Old 21-05-2015, 06:35 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeyedeer View Post
if you have dark skies, go for another impressive Saturn like object, the ghost of Saturn. ... www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000585.html

matt
Hey Matt thanks for the tip. I'll be giving that a go too next time conditions allow.
And yes, few things in the sky are better than Saturn.

Ben, here is my recommendation: The Moon! Look at it tonight if you can. perfect phase for epic views.
Old 21-05-2015, 08:45 AM
tileys

If you have a smart phone then the Sky Safari app has a good 'tonight's best' option which will give you a list of things worth checking out.
Old 21-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Bendy (Ben)

Thanks everyone, that list will keep me going for a bit!

Ben