Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 02-03-2015, 06:29 PM
Stickboy (Phil)

Angry Very disappointed newbie

I am heading out west of Tamworth for my yearly holiday. Very dark sky, the nights are unbelievable. I thought this year I would get the VX8 SCT and enjoy the night sky. I ordered the scope from Optic Central with just over a month to go and I told them I was going away at the end of the month. They also had it on ebay and took it off when I ordered the scope. They told me it would be 2 week. Web sit said 1 week? I called them at 3 week still waiting on tripod. 4 week I don't know I will have to check for you. Reply was should be in on Thursday or Friday? no good for me as leaving Monday morning. I can't delay as going to Thunder Down Under before Tamworth. I guess as they know they now have a mouth to get the tripod in. Had to pay up front $3500.00 for a scope and accessories they didn't have. Buyer be where

Sorry for the rant on my first post
Old 02-03-2015, 06:40 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I don't as a rule join in vendor bashing, but one of the reasons I only deal with Bintel is that when I have rung them about what they have in stock I have had an honest answer.
As I work in retail these days, I know how hard it is to maintain an inventory, you just physically cannot hold everything in stock, but at least your answers should be honest.

Malcolm
Old 02-03-2015, 07:09 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

said company needs to improve their customer service.. told the guy from gippsland he cold see the horsehead with celestron 4se

i am really sick of companies advertising items for sale on ebay - only to learn they are not in stock..if you dont have it -dont put it for sale
Old 09-03-2015, 01:23 PM
athua (Gus)

Sorry to hear about the issues that you are having with getting your new scope.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon and you will have your new scope to observe with.

I have the same scope, the Celestron C8-XLT on a Advanced VX mount and it is a great scope. There is a little learning required to get good polar alignments but once done, the goto tracking is very good and I'm sure you will enjoy the views it will give you.

I ordered mine from the US last year when the dollar was on parity with the US dollar so I managed to score a great price for mine.
Old 14-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Stickboy (Phil)

athua things are not looking so good. I was able to give them an address in Tamworth to send the scope to. I have been hear for a week which now makes 5 and a half weeks. If its not hear this week I am going to have to ask for my money back
Old 15-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Not sure if you used paypal to purchase, if you did, you would have a very good case for getting your money back. They do not muck around with this sort of thing, if the seller turns out to be a shonk, you get your money back and they give the seller hell.
Old 15-03-2015, 10:17 AM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Not sure if you used paypal to purchase, if you did, you would have a very good case for getting your money back. They do not muck around with this sort of thing, if the seller turns out to be a shonk, you get your money back and they give the seller hell.
Agree,

Not as described in respect of delivery.

Best of luck
Old 15-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Akwestland (Andrew and Kim)
Andrew and Kim

Phil,

I really really feel for you. This company is certainly trading below par.

I am "the guy from East Gippsland". They told me, and yes, I was naive, that I would see the Horsehead Nebulae with a 4" Mak. Very very displeased here. As you have spent so much more than we did I would seriously consider pursuing this through the Office of Fair Trading, and/or a name and shame if you can get a word in somewhere with the media. These companys really do need to be held responsible for the promises that they cannot deliver on. Be aware also that the contract has expired and even if they say they have it here now then you are still entitled to a refund.

I really do hope that you get this sorted and don't lose sight of the target, even if it means a refund and going to a more reputable supplier.

Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 15-03-2015, 09:25 PM
killswitch (Edison)

When i was shopping around for a C8 edge, a different vendor quoted me 3 months to get it in.

Must take them a while to import it.
Old 16-03-2015, 02:07 PM
athua (Gus)

If they cannot confirm that it has been shipped yet then I would be cancelling the order.

Check out Andrews Communication (http://www.andrewscom.com.au).
Their website says they have the Celestron C8 AVX in stock and when I have contacted them in the past they are pretty good with the stock status and I have heard other people have had great experiences when purchasing from them.
Old 16-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Poita (Peter)

Abo****ely cancel the order. Then look at the classifieds here and buy from a member. You will get a lot more scope for that money, most likely a lot of extras thrown in that will be useful, and actual advice from someone who has used the gear. You will save a ton of money and get better 'service'.
Old 16-03-2015, 05:55 PM
gbeal

I fully echo Peter's comment, buy from the Buy/Sell, plenty of gear available, or put a wanted, stuff turns over often.

You have the patience of a saint, I'd have bailed after the second excuse. Maybe I am impatient, but if they promise and fail to deliver, regardless of whether it's private or a business, I walk. You should too.
Gary
Old 16-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Stickboy (Phil)

Thanks everyone for your advice I will be calling them tomorrow and I will let everyone know how I go

Phil
Old 17-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Stickboy (Phil)

Called Optics central and was told that the scope was going today and I would receive a tracking number. Called them back at 5.15pm as no tracking number supplied. They said they were sending 3 different boxes with 2 different transport companies? I have 2 tracking number so we will see how I go

Phil
Old 24-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Stickboy (Phil)

Picked up the scope today after 7 weeks of waiting at least I have nearly a week before I go home. But tried to set the scope up and found that the counter weight is missing. tried to tape hammers, trailer hub to counter weight bar but gave up in frustration. maybe I try tomorrow.
Old 24-03-2015, 09:15 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

thats painful, just taunting you now
Old 25-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Stickboy (Phil)

Click image for larger version

Name:	mount.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	179515

I have gotten around the missing counter weight. Carved up a T piece from timber and attached a gear from a landcruiser the farmer had in his shed. add insulation tape to the counter weight bar to protect it. not pretty but I am in business
Old 25-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Julian

It's not vendor bashing, it's keeping them honest!!

Last edited by RB; 25-03-2015 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Profanity Filter Bypass Deleted
Old 26-03-2015, 12:07 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I like you style ! well done and I think after you get to know this set up's in's and out's you will be very happy with it .

I have enjoyed reading this thread and good luck , it is a beautiful bit of gear .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickboy View Post
Attachment 179515

I have gotten around the missing counter weight. Carved up a T piece from timber and attached a gear from a landcruiser the farmer had in his shed. add insulation tape to the counter weight bar to protect it. not pretty but I am in business
Old 26-03-2015, 12:19 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

to true .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
It's not vendor bashing, it's keeping them honest!!