Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 22-07-2020, 09:47 AM
MountainGoat

This is not what it said on the tin ....

Hi Everyone,

I have very recently upgraded from my son's 70mil entry level scope, to something a bit more capable. So far, it's not been the smooth transition I had hoped for!

I picked up a Celestron Astro Fi-6, which includes goto technology, and from the reviews that I have read, pretty good optics. So the idea is get to grips with this scope, and engage whats out there with a better viewing experience than on the budget 70 mil that we have been using.

Now although I am still a complete and utter noob, and maybe I've upgraded in haste, the whole upgrade "thing" is also about trying to inspire my kids. There is plenty of brain-food involved in astronomy, no doubt about it, and kids get to use their favourite technology, so it has win-win potential written all over it.

Unfortunately, and maybe some if this is down to my "noobness", but the goto is proving to be a major challenge, which is a shame, as the technology that it hooks into should be providing a huge amount of inspiration. Ipads, tablets, phones, casting images to the telly ... this is all the ingredients to really get the kids hooked in. Not to mention Jupiter and Saturn popping up every night.

The bottom line, is that the goto drops out of alignment fairly easily, and at other times, I seem to receive varying errors through the alignment technology.

Having researched a bit, I can see that goto alignment is a bit of a nightmare, and I'm actually wondering if it will ever work correctly.

One of the things I definitely need to improve is power supply, and I also believe that I need to finish up with an Up and a Right as the last two movements (something to do with slack in the gears).

I will definitely be persisting, but if anyone has a more definitive guide for Astro Fi-6 goto setup, then please throw it out there!

(Oh yeah ... and then there is condensation appearing after an hour of wrestling with the goto, and loads of it too.)

Thanks in advance
Old 22-07-2020, 10:01 AM
Tasaurora (Si)

Mate - I’ve just gone through your same experience...very frustrating but there is star light at the tunnel.

I bought a goto dob and it pained me for hours whilst kids ran around bored.
Here’s what I’ve learned (help also from great ppl on here);

Get the finda scope absolutely spot on in day light - using goto in manual. I use a mountain tree about 30klms away. I cannot emphasise how important it is to get this correct. I allow scope to be about an inch higher due to differences in distance.
Then - make sure your scope is dead level and on a hard surface - I found soft ground added to movement so I now use a board to help with gear lash.
I bought a battery pack from SC for $60 and it works for - it’s never run out.
Enter into goto basic details, your gps can be found from compass on iPhone.
I use two star method for alignment - and this can be challenging for a newbie like me. I downloaded a 3D star map to help.
This is why you HAVE to get finda scope dead on - because when scope slews automatically to second star, it is hard to work out wtf it’s pointing at - as 1000 stars suddenly appear and you are choosing the right one in eye piece? Yeah...it’s not easy. Choose another star that’s easier to isolate.
But - once it IS dialled - it’s worth it. Just for the tracking alone it is worth it - looking at the planets without auto tracking is mind bending frustrating.
Old 22-07-2020, 11:21 AM
MountainGoat

Ok, thanks for that.
A few things for me to think about:-

1 - My unit is on grass. Need to find a way to get level.

2 - Power - I have so far only been on batteries, but I will be dropping into Jaycar (what is SC that you refer to - SuperCheap?)

3 - I'm not sure I can do two-star alignment on the Astro-Fi.
The software it advises to use is SkyPortal and I haven't yet seen a two-star align option (I can further research that)

4 - 3D star map. I might take a look. What would you recommend

5 - Up and Right as final movements. Did you need to do this? Or were your other adjustments enough (flat surface, 30K alignment etc).

Thanks
Old 22-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi there & welcome to the forum...

I'm not familiar with the Astrofi units but, a quick google turned up some interesting info.

I understand it defaults to 'Skyalign' for alignments & unless you have the Skyalign equipment it will not align properly. What I read & saw in a Youtube clip was that you select 'Manual Align' & then select a star, hit enter.. line it up properly & hit align. Then select another star & same process...

Not sure how many it allows you to choose but, I got the impression that you could choose at least 3 if not more..

Hope this helps...
Old 22-07-2020, 11:48 AM
Tasaurora (Si)

Sorry - when you said goto, I thought you were referencing synscan - but they are all similar. Same steps apply and YouTube has some great videos.

Sc - Supercheap, yes. Deep cycle batteries are cheaper than ever.
I just use a cement sheeting board to help level - Bunnings $5 and some small wedges to prop points on board.

I think up/right as final movements is becAuse if you use up then down - your system cannot a blunt for the lash on gears. Remember - .5mm in gear lash at a billion klms = a long bloody way lol.

I use star chart app on iPhone - it’s free and easy but there are heaps out there and I’m looking at stellar view for laptop soon.

I’m like you / I thought, hey - but this scope, point it up and check stuff out...yeah...more in it than that but the more you use it, easier it will become.
Old 22-07-2020, 01:38 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I've used various GoTo systems but not this one. However ...

• the scope must be on a hard, reasonably level, surface. If the grass allows the mount to move the system cannot compensate.
  • centre each alignment star in the main scope. Use the highest magnification you have. If you put the star well out of focus, so it is a large donut, it is easier to judge when it is in the centre of the field of view
  • I use at least 5 alignment stars to help average out errors, except with the Geminii II where I use 5 for the the east alignment and 5 on the west.
  • therefore you can't avoid learning the brighter stars and constellations. I can align my dobs (5 stars) in about 2 minutes
  • on a dobs I expect that your GoTo pointing error will be >10', so locate the object with your low power ep and then increase mag as necessary
  • don't rely on small internal batteries. The cold will kill them. Even with the Argo Navis (push to - no motors) I can't get more than about 4hrs from brand new batteries at my dark sky site in winter. With the Geminii a dying battery won't kill the scope but it will behave 'screwy'. I've spent some frustrating hours calling myself names before I found that the problem was the battery
  • it's easier to learn and practice this stuff by yourself rather than with an expectant audience looking over your shoulder
enjoy the journey
David
Old 28-07-2020, 09:53 PM
MountainGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
I've used various GoTo systems but not this one. However ...

• the scope must be on a hard, reasonably level, surface. If the grass allows the mount to move the system cannot compensate.
  • centre each alignment star in the main scope. Use the highest magnification you have. If you put the star well out of focus, so it is a large donut, it is easier to judge when it is in the centre of the field of view
  • I use at least 5 alignment stars to help average out errors, except with the Geminii II where I use 5 for the the east alignment and 5 on the west.
  • therefore you can't avoid learning the brighter stars and constellations. I can align my dobs (5 stars) in about 2 minutes
  • on a dobs I expect that your GoTo pointing error will be >10', so locate the object with your low power ep and then increase mag as necessary
  • don't rely on small internal batteries. The cold will kill them. Even with the Argo Navis (push to - no motors) I can't get more than about 4hrs from brand new batteries at my dark sky site in winter. With the Geminii a dying battery won't kill the scope but it will behave 'screwy'. I've spent some frustrating hours calling myself names before I found that the problem was the battery
  • it's easier to learn and practice this stuff by yourself rather than with an expectant audience looking over your shoulder
enjoy the journey
David
Thanks David,

I am still fine tuning this whole process, but a Firmware upgrade has significantly helped, as well as providing a beefier power source.

I managed a couple of hours of completely uninterrupted, failure-free viewing over the weekend. I definitely need to improve the levelling of the scope, and I haven't quite mastered finishing with an Up and a Right, but we are definitely getting there.

I also took your advice and used a 10mil for my alignments.
In fact, I left the 10 mil in the whole time. The slewing was still a bit off, but it does feel like progress.

Appreciate the advice ....