ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Mark6051 (Mark)

What next to upgrade

Hi all
I have finally decided to start upgrading my gear but can't decide what to get first on my limited budget.

I have narrowed it down to either
Moonlite Focuser or

Eyepieces, I am leaning towards the Hyperion range, but can't decide whether to get a fixed focus 24mm to start my collection or get more functionality and buy the Baader 8-24mm Mk III zoom.

I have a trusty c6r F8, 1200mm, 6" refractor
My budget runs to about $500 give or take a few dollars

Does anyone have any opinions, i heard the focuser improves the scope dramatically, but eyepieces also make a big difference

I currently just use the eyepieces from the Celestron kit i purchased originally and the scope sits on a cg5 mount

I'd dearly love to upgrade the mount, say to a cgx just because, but a new mount is not within reach right now.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:22 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

I can't comment on the focuser, but I can recommend the Baader zoom - great eyepiece and very handy if you're not a fan of constant EP changes.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Mark6051 (Mark)

Thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
I can't comment on the focuser, but I can recommend the Baader zoom - great eyepiece and very handy if you're not a fan of constant EP changes.
The changing of eyepieces doesnt really bother me...it just seems that I am getting more bang for buck with the zoom.

I have heard plenty good things about them as well.
I can only take the word of others being still so new and Baader seems to be a good solid brand so i cant go wrong either way i would think.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:24 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

The Baader zoom certainly has good reviews: but be aware that the lower the power, the narrower the field with a zoom (any zoom eyepiece). At the 24mm end it has an AFOV of 50 degrees (about the same as a standard plossl), while at the 8mm end it is 68 degrees. So if you want a wide-field, low power experience a zoom is not the way to go.
Regarding the focuser: it depends what you want to do. A focuser is not going to improve the view at all, but if you want to do photography it will make a difference.
Another area to think about is the diagonal. I experienced a dramatic improvement in the sharpness of the view when I upgraded from the stock 1 1/4" prism on my SCT to a 2" quartz diagonal (I bought the GSO, but there are a lot out there at the moment). So if you find your high power star views are a bit fuzzy, it may be worth checking the diagonal...
All the best with the upgrades!

- Dean
Old 09-11-2016, 09:11 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

I have a Celestron zoom, and it find very nice indeed. I expect the Baader will be better.

Having said that, I was interested in knowing if my stock diagonal was much good. So I tried looking at some stars without using it, just the eyepiece. By eye, it seemed to me that I was getting signifantly more light and a sharper view with just the eyepiece. Hard to judge mind you, but, I thought at least 10% brighter, probably more.

You may be able to try this as well.

So I have just bought a diaelectric mirror and it is brilliant, from the one short look I have had at stars so far. I went for a Williams Optics one.

My suggestion to you, if you have to choose between the zoom and diagonal, is get the diagonal to make the most of the eyepieces you currently have.

Have fun

Philip
Old 10-11-2016, 06:54 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I can recommend both the Hyperion range and the Baader zoom. In fact I sort of retired my hyperions and stuck with the zoom for its convenience and difference to my dodgy eyes in viewing. The hyperions are fantastic though. Very comfortable on the eye to use and crisp image. All round way better than any bundled eyepiece I've tried and they bring new life to a cheaper scope. I'd also be looking at the Baader Morpheus range which i think were meant to replace the hyperions but seem more high end so pricing would be the factor, though you might find bargain priced hyperions.

What is your main scope use? if visual go for eyepieces but if astrophotography the focuser will be a better buy.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:22 PM
CatznStars (Ed)

If you are interested in eyepieces then you might like to consider some of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18mm-Dual...-/191565303740 I've got a full set and am happy with them. The price is a little cheaper if you by more than one at a time.

I have no affiliation with the seller except as a happy customer.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Kunama

Were I in your shoes, I would put that money down as a deposit on the 10" Newt being sold on the classifieds in your area by davewaldo. That would be a very impressive setup! Feather touch focuser, Argo Navis and a 10" newt will give your very very nice views....
Old 12-11-2016, 07:55 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

I have a Celestron Zoom and it is my most used eyepiece. The Hyperian 8-24 zoom costs more but gets great reviews.