Old 20-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Ausfitter (Troy)

Intro for myself 😊

Hi All,
I am very new to the astro game as I am more a landscape and portrait sort of photographer (with the exception ofthe usual milky way shots) but my neighbour was using his telescope a little while a go and I popped over to check the sky out and wow it was amazing, it instantly flicked a switch that has made me read so much about all sorts of astronomy related info and it just gets more and more exciting. Unfortunately I dont have any real telescope to get much from other than checking out the moon, but I was lucky enough to connect up my camera to my neighbours telescope and get some of Orion Nebula, and again it is amazing what you can see out there (I was going to post the photo, but after seeing so many amazing shots, I think I will wait until my skills are alot better) I am hoping to start simple in the new year and get myself a motorized mount and just use my camera for the short term and slowly progress from there.

I do apologise in advance if I ask silly questions or statements, but I will try my best not to lol

Thanks guys, I look forward to one day being able to contribute successfully to the forum 😊

Cheers
Troy
Old 20-12-2015, 03:34 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Hi Troy, welcoms to IIS. Don't be afraid to ask questions before you buy, there are a lot of less than ideal cheap telescopes and mounts out there, doing some homework and seeking advice before buying is the way to go.

As for mounts, a minimum for Astro photography through a telescope is an HEQ5 or EQ6 (Skywatcher make both models), they come up for sale second hand in the Icetrade area from time to time, if you want flexibility then the Az-Eq5 or 6 is a good place to start.

Given your statement
Quote:
I am hoping to start simple in the new year and get myself a motorized mount and just use my camera for the short term and slowly progress from there.
you might want to look at the Skywatcher Star Adventurer, around $600, from Bintel you'll also need a sturdy tripod. That will allow you to use your existing camera (preferably at least DSLR) and lenses. If you then graduate to a more sophisticated mount, the Star Adventurer is a good compact solution for travel so your money's not wasted.
Old 20-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Ausfitter (Troy)

Thanks acropolite :-) I have been looking at the Skywatcher Star Adventurers, as there is a place up here that has them at a really good price, and my current tripod is capable of providing a steady platform for it. I did notice that a member on here has a HEQ5 Pro for sale in Brisbane, and I am considering that but wanting to read up a little more before committing to a purchase. I do see this as being something more than just a once in a few months kind of thing, so I do want something decent in quality but I do need to try and keep the cost down as I have already frustrated my wife with my spendings on camera equipment lately
Old 20-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Welcome Troy there's plenty of IIS members, clubs and just helpful folk in the Brisbane area, lots of opportunities to get out somewhere darker when the weather cooperates.

What mount and scope that might suit largely depends on what your goals are...whether you want to dive in to imaging or start off with visual...or both

All you really need is a pair of eyes - even just one and for imaging it sounds like you already have a camera...
Old 20-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Ausfitter (Troy)

Thanks Camelopardalis :-) I am all good with the camera side of things without going into CCD (I think thats what they are called) As for what I am wanting to achieve, well astrophotography is my main goal, and I really just want to get something that will allow me to see some Nebulas like Orion, the Tarantula etc I know I am starting out, and can't expect everything to start with, but atlas this is a starting point.

Cheers Troy
Old 20-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

There's something for every focal length IMO Troy...

From the wide field Milky Way in Winter all the way through the larger objects with a telephoto lens. The sky is the limit
Old 20-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Ausfitter (Troy)

lol I forgot to mention, I do have a cheaper Skywatcher telescope (given to me cause my nephew didn't want it anymore lol), unsure of the model but it is a D70 F900mm refractor, so would this still be suitable for anything other than the moon that I have used it for already? As in, if it was on a motorised mount or Star Adventurer?
Old 21-12-2015, 08:32 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Nothing wrong with the 70/900 SW scope.
It will be an achromat and show some colour fringing on brighter objects but at f12 it's as good a start as any for visual viewing. Moon, planets, clusters, brighter nebula (M42 eg) will all show. It has a narrow feild of view and is not really suitable for astrophotography although video on moon and planets can be acheived.

Widefeild can be done with just a basic DSLR and an EQ5 mount or a Tracker as has been mentioned earlier. Or you could build a barn door tracker, depnds on your DIY skills and resources.

A minimum longer exposure setup would be an EQ5 and ED80 scope (Apochromat) plus adapters to fit the camera or if you intend to get serious an EQ6. Really serious requires guide cameras and other hardware, laptops etc.
Careful though or you'll slide down the slippery slope into this obse....hobby and your credit card will never recover ...

Like the rest of us ....
Old 24-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Ausfitter (Troy)

Thanks guys, I have started to get some quotes and go through the sales page on here, I am hoping that I can get something just after the new year permitting the Finance Minister (Wife) allows me to splurge a little :-)
Old 24-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah definitely get out with the 70 when weather permits, lists to see with any scope M42, Tarantula, Eta Carina, Jupiter all well within reach.
Old 24-12-2015, 06:47 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Hi Troy,
Welcome to IIS. Look forward to seeing your posts.
Robert
Old 08-01-2016, 11:40 PM
OwenS

Welcome!