Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-11-2015, 06:15 PM
buddha1 (Alan)

Buddha 1

Hi Guys has anybody had anything to do with the Celestron CPC 8" GPS telescopes, as I am looking at going to Perth in December to buy a new scope
my choices are either the Celestron CPC 8" GPS or the 180mm Skywatcher Maksutov. looking forward to your comments as to what one you prefer.
I mainly want to do planetary observations but looking at trying astrophotography in the future
Old 25-11-2015, 07:43 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Try not to stray too far into the dual number F range (f10+) it gets difficult to get a decent field of view and guiding can be a pain.
I suppose a Focal Reducer will help but it's more momey and you end up with a bit of Vignetting.
I'd go for the refractor knowing what I know now - or an RC with a separate mount. Like an AZ EQ6
Old 25-11-2015, 11:02 PM
doppler (Rick)

I have a 180mm Skywatcher Maksutov, great for planetary and lunar viewing but at f15 not too flash for astrophotography. The CPC 8" is probably a better inbetween scope, great magnification for the moon and planets and with a focal reducer ok for a bit of photography. The fork mount will limit any photography to 20 to 30 second exposures, you really need an eq mount for that.
Old 26-11-2015, 11:33 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi and welcome , you don't mention a mount for the 180mm Mak ? these are real planet killers for sure a nice scope .

I have not used the CPC 8 but have had quite a bit of time using my old clubs CPC11 and it was a great scope , awesome optics and bullet proof electronics , ,,, read easy and foolproof , a nice bit of gear .

Personally I would take the CPC8 as its a complete unit , ready to go out of the box .

Brian.
Old 28-11-2015, 10:54 PM
buddha1 (Alan)

Smile buddha

Hi all

Thank you all for your comments they are appreciated as I am new to astronomy, I have been doing a lot of research on different types telescopes It appears that the Celestron CPC 8"telescope is the more versatile of them as you can attach focal reducers and add feather focusers to them, you can also attach a wedge for astrophotography