Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2015, 07:59 PM
mikejenningz

Wink Intro from the UK

Hi guys,

I live in the north of the UK (Leeds), I am very envious of your Australian clear skies and southern hemisphere constellations, which I have never seen.

I've been into astronomy for as long as I can remember but only got a telescope, a second hand celestron C8 SCT, about 5 years ago. Since then I've now got a shed with a roll off roof and a pier mount. I've also got a ST80 guide scope both mounted on a celestron advance GT.

Astrophotography is my thing, and I rarely observe visually, but I'm learning very slowly how challenging astrophotography is.

I've got a QHY5 guide cam and a DSLR for deep sky images. But the QHY5 is great for planetary and lunar photography also. The moon particularly is easier to video if you don't have to worry about auto guiding.

It is sure a great interest astronomy, I dabble in everything, asteroid occultations, galaxies and nebula, planets, variable stars photography, and a bit of comet hunting.

You've got a great forum here, and I look forward to asking you some questions and sharing my experiences.

Mike.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:05 PM
RB (Andrew)

Welcome Mike !
Great to have you here.

RB
Old 08-10-2015, 11:36 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Mike and welcome mate , please post a few photos of your set up , we might have better skies and objects to observe , but at least you have an observatory and nice scope with good gear , so ,,,

again and enjoy , yes there are great people here , a lot like your 'Star Gazers Lounge' , which I am a member that I have really enjoyed contributing to over the years , it seems amateur astronomers are good people where ever they are from.

Brian.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:47 PM
gavcol (G)

Gday Mike

Welcome to IIS.

I am originally from West Yorkshire, but now live here in South Australia.
I came to Australia in 1990 as a teenager. I grew up in the Oxenhope, Haworth and Oakworth area. Not far from Keighley.

Yes the skies here can be wonderful. But, I also have fond memories of starting off my interest with the Yorkshire skies when I got my first telescope in 1986 with the great interest in Halleys Comet.

Never saw it though!

Well good to have you hear mate, looking forward to reading your future posts, seeing your equipment and perhaps some of your images.

Regards

Gavin