ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2015, 09:03 PM
daik (Daniel)

Buying Maxim DL?

I have a question about buying Maxim DL. First off, I only want the download version I've got no need for a box
Anyway, I head over to http://www.cyanogen.com/maximdl_buy.php and add my version to the cart, and click checkout. Boom, now I'm on a new domain (http://ww7.aitsafe.com), I thought 'fair enough, they have outsourced their webstore'. So I fill in the details, I do note it is not an encrypted connection though. I continue on, and on the page where I have to enter my creditcard I'm on a third domain. Now far too many alarm bells are ringing for me, so I never completed the purchase. Has anyone bought Maxim from cyanogen directly and can confirm that this is all in order, or is there a better place to buy it?

-daniel
Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I did it some five years ago, cannot remember what the process was back then compared to now. Cyanogen is large enough that I would have assumed that they wouldn't have bothered outsourcing and just done it in-house.
As a company though they are legit and have been around for a LONG time. Very well respected.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 PM
daik (Daniel)

Yeah, this is what makes the alarm bells go off so loudly. I generally trust Cyanogen, since they are so well respected. This run around across a number of different domains just feels off to me. I'll see if I can get a response from them before I trust the site with my CC.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:30 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Daniel

Sounds dodgy to me. When I bought Maxim it was many years ago and can't recall the purchasing process. Perhaps join the Maxim Yahoo group and ask there. Doug is often on there answering tech questions. Alternatively email them but then if their site is compromised so may be their email.

Wayne
Old 04-08-2015, 11:32 PM
DJT (David)

Hi
I purchased at the beginning of the year. Had issues with the credit card process on line so let the card company know who I was buying from and called Cyanogen direct to finish the transaction. Not a smart setup.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:10 PM
daik (Daniel)

I contacted Cyanogen and asked them about it. They got back to me very promptly and assured me that everything was in order. So a heads up to anyone looking at this in the future that they serve up their shopping card via aitsafe.com and process your credit card via beanstream.com. This is a bit of an odd setup but it is legit.