Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 24-07-2015, 10:40 PM
trickybilly

How to use a 2 inch eyepiece holder?

Ok, I have a 2 inch eyepiece holder for my Skywatcher 200mm Flextube. How to use it? All my eyepieces are small, are there any bigger (wider) types of eyepieces than the Plossls? What's their advantage? I thought that the eyepiece holder was for a camera insertion, and the front part of the camera just fit in there. But now the front part of the camera is stuck in the 2 inch eyepiece holder :S How to remove it now? Advice me please
Old 24-07-2015, 11:24 PM
raymo

O.K. Billy. The tube that your eyepieces slide into is screwed into a flat plate. The plate is secured to the focuser by two chrome knobs on the side of the open end of the focuser. Loosen them and remove the flat plate and tube as one item. Put the large collar[2" eyepiece holder]
into where you removed the flat plate from. Bevelled end of the holder goes into the focuser. and tighten the two chrome screws. You can now slide a 2" diameter eyepiece into the open end of the holder, and nip up the small knob on the side of the holder to stop the eyepiece from falling out.
Fitting a DSLR camera requires a T-ring for your brand of camera. Remove lens from camera. Remove flat plate and tube as earlier
described. Unscrew the tube from the flat plate. Fit the T-ring to
the camera as you would a lens. Screw the flat plate onto the T- ring.
Insert the flat plate back into the focuser and nip up the two knobs.
The camera is now firmly attached to the scope.
Eyepieces commonly come in 1.25" diameter [your size] and 2" diam.
2" EPs have a wider field of view. It's difficult to help you remove the stuck camera without a close up pic or two.
The 2" EP holder is just that, nothing to do with cameras.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 24-07-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: more text
Old 25-07-2015, 03:56 AM
trickybilly

Thank you very much raymo. Your post was really helpful, I printed it out to have it among my manuals. I will purchase a T-ring and will try to make some moon or planetary videos. The front part of the camera is now out of the 2 inch holder too. Thank you
Old 25-07-2015, 10:58 AM
raymo

Glad to help. Planetary videos with a DSLR camera at prime focus are a waste of time as the planet will be tiny. You have to use one of several methods to magnify the planet. Lunar videos are fine done with a DSLR, but I prefer stills. I set the ISO to 1600 and use 1/3200 or 1/4000th sec
ISO and shutter speed depend on the phase of the moon. Most lunar
imagers use a webcam with or without a barlow lens as required.
raymo