Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Dunc78 (Duncan)

Meeting fellow astronomers

Hi all,
Been stalking these forums for a while but my first post. About a year ago i bought a basic 6 inch dob. I initially didn't want to spend to much on a scope until I decided if this was a hobby I would enjoy and stick with. Now I am beginning to think i would like to get something a bit better and one that can also do Some basic astrophotography. Before i do that I was thinking of checking out a couple of astronomy clubs/societies to meet a few people and check out their setups to help me sort out exactly what i want/need. I live out in the Sunshine/Keilor area and can't really find any easy to get to group/clubs. If i am going to make the trek out somewhere which group/location would people recommend. I have thought of making the trek to go to a mpas meeting but everythime i am free the weather is terrible.
Alternatively is there anyone in the area willing to show a relative newbie their set up and offer some advice.
Thanks!!
Old 23-06-2015, 08:56 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

If you are prepared for a trek, Mount Burnett in the dandenongs is a very friendly group.
Old 24-06-2015, 02:36 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

What about the ASV? They are re-starting their "New Astronomer's Group" shortly. See their home page: http://asv.org.au/

- Dean
Old 24-06-2015, 03:05 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

ASV is always worthwhile (I am an MBO member and ASV)

A lot of MBO members are both MBO and ASV. I mention MBO as they have weekly nights at the observatory even if my location means I only get there a couple of times a year myself. If the ASV new astronomers group is re starting they would be a good place too though I am not sure how often they typically met (I had been kicking around for a few years before I joined the ASV so I never became part of the new astronomers group)
Old 24-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Dunc78 (Duncan)

Thanks for that. The New Astronomers group sounds perfect. And good timing with the group about to start again. Have sent an email off already expressing an interest. Will also go to some general ASV meetings once i join later this months.
Thanks again!!
Old 24-06-2015, 08:55 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

And don't forget that here in Vic we are quite well served with Star Parties with the ASV running 3 per year, 2 at Snake Valley near Ballarat, VicSout9h near Nhill and Border Stargaze near Albury.
If interested in Snake Valley, let me know and I will put you on the email list.

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 24-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I run star parties every so often, I take out a couple of telescopes and give a tour of the night sky. Haven't done a lot recently due to horrible weather :/ Hopefully have another one organised in the not too distant future.

I usually run them around the Eltham area.
Old 25-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Dunc78 (Duncan)

Well just joined the asv so please put me down for the mailing list for the star party please Malcolm. That sounds great.
Thanks!!
Old 25-06-2015, 05:19 PM
zenith (Tim)

I am a member of the ASV and did the new astronomers group last year. It was an amazing mix of practical observing and information about physics, astronomy history, discovery and space exploration. Caters to newbies and also keeps the interest of people who are a little more well read in some areas. You get to look through binoculars, the 20" scope, the 8" dobs, you get to know the constellations and bright stars.
I am still in touch with several people from the group and meet up on club outings at the dark sky site.
Would highly recommend it, even for a shy person like myself.