Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Using HEQ5 Pro for Guiding...

OK, I'm really new to the idea of trying to guide while imaging, but I've read a fair amount on various forums. I'd like to guide using the following equipment (and not purchase something like the Orion Guider);

Toucam PVCV840K/00
PHD
HEQ5PRO
Guide scope: Trying to locate a AT65EQD (not easy to find) or use my SW100ED and image from the AT65EQD.

Called Bintel and they said I would need a GPUSB box and cable to create ST4 compatibility between the mount and computer.

PHD seems to recognize the Toucam...

Is there anything else I need in terms of drivers or software?

Thanks for any further tips/suggestions.

Last edited by PRejto; 07-02-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Peter,

I am trying to do the same but am baulking at a QHY5 with a guide scope. When I tried to use my 5" reflector mounted piggyback on the 8" reflector, the drive made some bad noises as the set up was too heavy for the gears at full horizontal extension (tube and counterweights horizontal) so I decided to ditch the guidescope idea and keep as light as possible on the HEQ5 pro.

I have successfully mounted my toucam onto the 50mm finder (dodgily) by removing the cross hair bit at the back and mounting the toucam to the back of the finder. (read double sided tape and elastic band) This is just proof of concept at the moment, I will mount this properly if I can get good guide star exposure and find them easily....

My plan is to run both the Canon 1000D and the toucam guiding via Maxim DL5 which can handle both cams and guide through the Eqmod pulse guiding interface, so there is no need to use a GPUSB to convert back to ST4 compatible instructions on the guide port.

I have yet to test this set up, but it is all assembled and waiting for a clear (and COOOL!) night for me to give it a burl.

Fingers crossed it works, I have tested the camera through the finder terrestrially to check focus so this seems to be fine, just need to do it in the dark.

Of course, if the toucam is an issue with the exposure etc, I am always keeping my eye out for a QHY5 on the IIS classifieds to use this as a finder guider...hoping I can use what I have got for now.

Also, why not check out a Long Perng 66 ED carbon fibre tube for guiding ($399 at Andrews) as I have my eye on this one if I need a dedicated guidescope later on... $399 is a bargain for a CF tube ED!!! Just need to wait for Pay day and see if I can slide it past the missus. Check it out here

Good luck

Cheers

Chris
Old 07-02-2011, 12:32 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Thanks Chris,

I'm sure my setup would not be as heavy as what you tried out! I've just got the 100ED refractor and eventually a 66mm guiding scope. Thanks for the link to Long Perng scopes. I didn't know about these, but I have to say I'm still more attracted to the AT65EDQ given the 4 lenses/flat imaging possibilities. I think there are good reasons why it's hard to get hold off.

I didn't know about EQmod. Sounds interesting but possibly rather complicated, though with my limited experience I'm not sure using GPUSB is any easier!

Last edited by PRejto; 07-02-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:00 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

If your going to guide with an heq5 you will have to use eqmod. It's about the only driver that will run the mount.

I use phd to guide with and a cheap Orion guide scope. Works great, but it took a long time to master it.

I use a Meade dsi ii as a guide cam but I have a toe cam as well and it works just fine as well.

With theses mounts you really need to make sure that you polar alignment is good or your guide will be eratic. I don't think you'll have any problems whith your set up, but really you don't need any thing fancy to guide with.

Good luck
Old 07-02-2011, 09:58 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
If your going to guide with an heq5 you will have to use eqmod. It's about the only driver that will run the mount.
Thanks for your reply!

Are you saying that GPUSB will not work and that I must use eqmod? This rather contradicts the advice I received from Bintel. Or, am I misunderstanding something? (Do I use both GPUSB and EQMOD?)
Old 07-02-2011, 11:41 PM
telemarker (Keith)

If using the GPUSB it will connect to the guide port on the mount. If using EQMOD, it will send the guide commands through the connection between the computer and the mount. Using eqmod with an HEQ5pro requires an eqmod connector and an appropriate cable to connect to a computer serial port or USB to serial adaptor or you can do what I do and use the serial to handbox cable but the handbox must be in "PC direct" mode. Eqmod is great for use with planetarium software for pc control and you don't need the gpusb. PHD works just fine with eqmod and multiple programs can use eqmod concurrently, very handy for using alignmaster and a planetarium program at the same time. Finder/guiders are really helpful for keeping the weight down and do a grand job with the ED100. Thoroughly recommend you use eqmod and forget about the gpusb.

Regards
Keith
Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Stigandi (Rob Stinson)

Hello all.. I've got a EQ5 Pro also. I also have a Shoestring Astronomy GPUSB. A couple years ago I used PHD on a PC to guide the mount through the GPUSB. No problems. I'm now trying to control the mount with PHD and Equinox 6 on a Mac. I have tried connecting the GPUSB to both the mount's guide port and the port on the hand controller and neither seems to connect. Do I need a different setup to control the mount from the mac software?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

You can use a GPUSB with the HEQ5Pro, but once you start using EQMOD its hard to go back because of the many conveniences and features (like wireless gamepad control). There is a marginal benefit over using the ST4 port in that you can have PEC and guiding running together happily, but that's something relatively few people play with at first anyway.