ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

A somehow failed experiment

Hi all,

This imaging season I have been trying to do a few things in a bit different way, and with mixed results. For example, I was quite pleased with my attempt at the Lagoon, but pure 100% narrowband Trifid was a bit of a let down.

While working on my first HaRGB image which is yet to be completed, I thought of making an attempt at revealing a tad more of the Helix. I already had 50 hours of Ha at f4.5 from last year, so I just added another 50, but this time at f6, also with my trusty 4" guidescope.

A link to astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/full/1qk9l2/0/

In spite of making a few attempts at putting the data together, somehow I cannot show more than what I already had last year, and I do not want to overstretch the data because IMO my overstretched Helix always looks plain ugly and flat. Perhaps the subs were too short and I should have gone for 30-minute subs or longer.

Anyway, on top of now accumulated 101 hours of Ha, I already have 30 hours of NII and 20 hours of OIII from last year, so may as well go all the way and try adding some SII to the mix and see what I will manage to cook up with all four

Thank you for looking
Suavi
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Helix_small.jpg)
175.1 KB125 views

Last edited by Slawomir; 09-09-2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Whilst you may feel that you have not made prof progress Suavi, there is still an incredible amount of detail in that Ha image. I admire your dedication to the task at hand.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I'm not sure that going with longer exposures will make much difference. Going longer will only help if you're not already read noise limited, there is a real chance that you're simply aperture limited at your guide scope just doesn't have the light gathering power to suck up any more faint photons.

At 100 hours of Ha, I think the result is what you're gonna be left with.... Which is EPIC!
Old 08-09-2019, 11:43 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

That's really nice. You're getting more than me. I've got 40hours on the Helix with OSC and duo filter and it's not bringing out the detail you have.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:01 AM
dave_galera (Dave)

I think what you have is enough as the outer shell is showing up very very well, which is something you don't often see
Old 09-09-2019, 07:11 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

That's the best set of outer chevrons we've ever seen. It's interesting to work out the photons per pixel per hour for some of those faintest details, which look quite grit-free in your image.

We agree that it's technically impossible with an 8 bit screen to show both the outer details and the "eye" without making it look flat. The fault is with the manufacturers of computer screens. We need 16 bit OLED screens.

Superb.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Whilst you may feel that you have not made prof progress Suavi, there is still an incredible amount of detail in that Ha image. I admire your dedication to the task at hand.
Thank you Rodney. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I'm not sure that going with longer exposures will make much difference. Going longer will only help if you're not already read noise limited, there is a real chance that you're simply aperture limited at your guide scope just doesn't have the light gathering power to suck up any more faint photons.

At 100 hours of Ha, I think the result is what you're gonna be left with.... Which is EPIC!
Thank you for your encouragement Colin. Yes, I may actually need a larger aperture. One day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
That's really nice. You're getting more than me. I've got 40hours on the Helix with OSC and duo filter and it's not bringing out the detail you have.
I thought your attempt at the Helix is fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_galera View Post
I think what you have is enough as the outer shell is showing up very very well, which is something you don't often see
Thank you Dave - I was dreaming of showing those shockwaves a bit more clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
That's the best set of outer chevrons we've ever seen. It's interesting to work out the photons per pixel per hour for some of those faintest details, which look quite grit-free in your image.

We agree that it's technically impossible with an 8 bit screen to show both the outer details and the "eye" without making it look flat. The fault is with the manufacturers of computer screens. We need 16 bit OLED screens.

Superb.
Thank you Mike and Trish. I use your Ha Helix as a benchmark, as your Helix shows everything so well - data and processing both are top notch.

I think I previously estimated that the outer shockwaves register only one photon per pixel per hour of exposure with my 4" guide scope-camera combo, but will check that estimate later.

Maybe I should chuck in another 50 hours of Ha with longer subs Just as a modification to the original experiment
Old 09-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

As mentioned elsewhere, that's an outstanding result Suavi, even deeper than my previous effort and the extra integration time has yielded some wonderful extra details.

Top stuff!

Anxiously awaiting lurid Suavification in colour
Old 09-09-2019, 10:41 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Failed. Yes Suavi, it's awful. Terrible. Waste of 100 hours. You should permanently delete all this data. Geez, I wouldn't even show this here at all. Embarrassing.

Please, delete - for the sake of humanity - all the data. NOW!

Wasze biczowanie jest głęboko dramatyczne. Zdjęcie jest niesamowite.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:13 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

As Mike said, best rendition with the depth of the chevrons. One for the cool wall.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Amazing Ha. Curious what 20 hours of O3 looks like? I imagine this is just the central area with its radiating spikes but perhaps there’s more?
Old 09-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you Andy, Lewis, Marc and Ben.

@Ben - Yes, the OIII is most prominent around the central white dwarf and with some streamers/spikes streaming out.

@Marc - Thank you Marc for your kind feedback. Perhaps I was expecting too much of an improvement in the data with extra 50 hrs.

@Lewis - Nobody is doing any over here , but more seriously, I was really expecting a more noticeable improvement.

@Andy - we shall unleash the artist within with the coloured version then
Old 09-09-2019, 04:42 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Perhaps I was expecting too much of an improvement in the data with extra 50 hrs.
Well, seeing what you've got at the 100h mark I'm thinking there's bugger all chances to get much more with that rig by even doubling the time. Convinced me that you need a RASA or hyperstar setup to go any deeper and stay practical with integration time. I tried from home but was limited by skyglow after 25h and that was with 7nm. You hit it with 3nm. There's no hope for us all. Next time I try it I'll block 1 week somewhere very dark and keep at it.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:42 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post

Superb.
Thank you again Mike and Trish.

The faintest distinguishable bits in the long bows/shockwaves are just 1 ADU above the floor (this is an average for a number of pixels on those fainter parts of the long bows).

Since my camera's gain is 0.16e per ADU, therefore one registered photon makes an increase of 6 ADUs, unless I got it the wrong way around.

Since the image is a result of combining 15 and 20-minute subs, it seems that there is one photon per 1.5 to 2 hours of exposure that are being registered by this telescope-camera combo and that we can just notice in the total of 101 hours of integration.

Quite fascinating, given that we are taking amateurs having fun from their backyards. Or my maths is incorrect
Old 09-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Well, seeing what you've got at the 100h mark I'm thinking there's bugger all chances to get much more with that rig by even doubling the time. Convinced me that you need a RASA or hyperstar setup to go any deeper and stay practical with integration time. I tried from home but was limited by skyglow after 25h and that was with 7nm. You hit it with 3nm. There's no hope for us all. Next time I try it I'll block 1 week somewhere very dark and keep at it.
That's a very deep Helix Marc You are now tempting me - I keep dreaming of an F/3 10" quality Newtonian...
Old 09-09-2019, 04:47 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
That's a very deep Helix Marc You are now tempting me - I keep dreaming of an F/3 10" quality Newtonian...
Even an 8" F/4 would be faster than your refractor and still relatively easy to collimate.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Crikey, that is outstanding! You want more? Wow!
Old 09-09-2019, 05:47 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Hmmmm? I'm not quiiiiite sure how one would use the word fail in any sentence describing this image....

Errr?...ok..."This image failed to be just another Ha Helix shot" " or "This image failed to render me unconscious....I merely fainted"

Old 09-09-2019, 05:56 PM
gregbradley

A stunning image Suavi. Hard work to get there I know.

Not to rub it in but my CDK17 with a .66X reducer got similar detail in under 5 hours!

But its an interesting exercise to know what the effect of aperture is on overall exposure time.

Greg.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:17 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Even an 8" F/4 would be faster than your refractor and still relatively easy to collimate.
But who said I like it easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Crikey, that is outstanding! You want more? Wow!
Glad you like it Bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Hmmmm? I'm not quiiiiite sure how one would use the word fail in any sentence describing this image....

Errr?...ok..."This image failed to be just another Ha Helix shot" " or "This image failed to render me unconscious....I merely fainted"

Thank you Mike - perhaps I over-dramatized a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A stunning image Suavi. Hard work to get there I know.

Not to rub it in but my CDK17 with a .66X reducer got similar detail in under 5 hours!

But its an interesting exercise to know what the effect of aperture is on overall exposure time.

Greg.
Thank you Greg. Is this the image you are taking about? I can quite easily see much more faint detail in the image taken with my guide scope