Old 07-07-2019, 09:32 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Electronic star finder ?

I found the StarAid which is an 'intelligent' auto guider, i like the concept, but IMHO it is still immature.
Commens here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s....php?p=1435575

But based on this idea and the idea of the EVF in modern mirrorless DSLRs and high-end compact cameras, why not an EVF in a telescope ?
There are so many non-goto telescopes like most Dobsons and many older but optically very good telescopes.

I imagine an eyepiece sized device with a small camera in it (like StarAid) which has some similar AI based software in it like plate solving, but rather than guiding a camera, it has an 'eyepiece' on it in which shows the actual part of the sky with a kind of HUD information which part of the sky it is, altitude, RA. declination, etc. The user can also use a connected smartphone / tablet screen. The display displays which part of the sky is shown and on a connected smartphone app one can fill in an object which you want to see. The app shows how you must move the telescope (like StarAid it can determine whether it is an AltAz or EQ mount) and in the eyepiece arrows are shown. WHen finished, you can pop a real eyepiece in it.
Or, even better, a small rotatable wheel (like the wheel on a high-end compact camera like a Sony RX100 or Canon Powershot) on top op the 'eyepiece' which allows the user to scroll through a list of objects while looking, which eliminates the need for looking at a smartphone screen.

This allows you using any telescope with 1.25" barrel with push-to finding an object.

This is just fantasy, but is it viable ?

Idea ?
Old 09-07-2019, 09:12 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
I found the StarAid which is an 'intelligent' auto guider, i like the concept, but IMHO it is still immature....
I imagine an eyepiece sized device with a small camera in it (like StarAid) which has some similar AI based software in it like plate solving, but rather than guiding a camera, it has an 'eyepiece' on it in which shows the actual part of the sky with a kind of HUD information which part of the sky it is, altitude, RA. declination, etc. The user can also use a connected smartphone / tablet screen. The display displays which part of the sky is shown and on a connected smartphone app one can fill in an object which you want to see. The app shows how you must move the telescope (like StarAid it can determine whether it is an AltAz or EQ mount) and in the eyepiece arrows are shown. WHen finished, you can pop a real eyepiece in it....

This is just fantasy, but is it viable ?

Idea ?

Very viable. Your idea presents as a typical AR (Augmented Reality) application. Precedents include MS Hololens, Google Glass/ARCore, RockwellCollins F35 Helmet, etc.

As always, our problem is selling enough for this niche hobby to bring sales up, and costs down to a tolerable level. Thanks to AR APIs, the first realisation of your excellent idea will probably take the form of an open source effort. This being delivered by a gifted individual, using a cannibalised mainstream AR solution (like the optical emitter and CPU of a google glass unit forced into a large EP.

I hope it happens. Needless to say, that gifted individual is not me.