Old 08-12-2010, 08:14 PM
h0ughy (David)

hyperstar experiences

well my c11 and hyperstar3 is on its way. how many out there have a hyperstar and how did you go using it?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:25 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
well my c11 and hyperstar3 is on its way. how many out there have a hyperstar and how did you go using it?
Well, I'll put my hand up. I have one on my EdgeHD 1400. And tonight was really the first time that I've had an opportunity to actually fire off a few series of images - obviously I chose the cliche items because they are easy and I want to get some results. It's too late to start processing now. I'll have a crack tomorrow and post some images but the thing that strikes me most is the fabulous wide field of view and the amazing amount of data you can such down in 30-60 seconds.
I'm using a QHY8 (they are recommended by Starizona for use with their HyperStar despite the size and shape). I tried taking some twilight flats before starting tonight. They looked "odd" I must say but I'll suspend judgment until I process tomorrow. I haven't collimated my HyperStar yet and the preliminary look of these images suggests that I won't have to. I used feeler gauges to set a 30 thou gap all round and this seems to have put the thing darn near spot on. I hope I don't have to eat those words tomorrow.
Peter
Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 AM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

I use a C8 and QHY8 Pro. Get the Feathertouch focusser for the Hyperstar, makes life much easier. Comments similar to Peter's. The f2 data collection speed makes up for the limited 8" aperture quite well. Pity about the months of cloud we've had here in Brisbane, as I'm trying to do SMC and LMC widefield with both Hyperstar and ebay el cheapo Pentax 135 Takumar piggy backed. Yes, I've got an SMC Tak on the way, but this one's not bad for $30 or so. Recommend this setup for UWF. Finally got some M45/42 Pentax shots last night. Hyper was on 26 Nov.

Attached are M42 20x5 seconds Hyperstar and 20x30 secs P135 for comparison, both with simple Nebulosity DDP and no cropping. Also a couple of shots showing setup and my simple sheet plastic "lens cover" for hyperstar, as the normal one don't fit I also made a lens hood for when I use the Hyperstar, attaches to the Velcro ring. Stubby coolers make great lens hoods for finder scopes, too. Keeps dew away so far.

Summary: A very good asset. BTW, not liking the idea of eternally swapping Hyperstar and SCT modes, I finally bought a second used C8 OTA and keep one with Hyperstar and the other with f6.3 reducer and rear remote FCUSB electric focusser setup. The extra OTA cost was worth it for the quick swap out convenience.

Very little cable-induced diffraction spikes, I put the two QHY cables at right angles to try and imitate a Newt, but the spikes are very faint anyway. Can you see them on the CHQ jpg?

I use a matt whiteboard on the obs wall for taking twilight flats with the Hyperstar, a little easier than the T shirt when you have a camera there.

Next toy to get is a GSO 10" RC to replace the 8" SCT for the deeper stuff.

Enjoy your Hyperstar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (101208 M42 small 20x5s CHQ DDP proc.jpg)
28.3 KB219 views
Click for full-size image (101208 M42 small 20x30s P135 DDP proc.jpg)
59.7 KB170 views
Click for full-size image (101208 small QHY Hyper P135.JPG)
119.6 KB191 views
Click for full-size image (101208 small P135 Closeup.JPG)
106.0 KB146 views
Click for full-size image (101208 small Hyper P135 headon.JPG)
91.4 KB160 views
Click for full-size image (101208 small Obs flats white boardl.JPG)
70.5 KB131 views
Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Have had mine for a while. Haven't been using it as much as I would have liked because of work and weather mostly. I have a rigid flocked dewshield which is the length of the scope tube so it is contained within the tube with just holes to let the 3 cables through. That helps keeping the corrector dry too and stops all stray light. I shoot flats with an EL sheet and bias frames like any other scope (plug the top of the dewshield) and focus with a bathinov inside the dewshield as well.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Last night's 'first light' attempts

As promised, here are the results of last night's bit of clear sky. As I said, they are the cliche items but they tell me a lot. This is the first time I've imaged with the HyperStar (apart from a desperate 5 minutes between clouds last week) so I'm on a learning curve again!
The twilight flats I did were a dud. I think I shot them a bit early so I'll try again when I can. The result is that these images are with no flats, darks, bias etc and stacked in DSS then curves and levels in CS3.
There is a curious blue artifact in the Horse image that is missing in the others. I haven't tracked it down yet.
Overall, I'm pretty chuffed with these. They are mostly 60-second shots except for the sword which has a few shorter ones in the mix. Total time is about 10 mins each.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (horsesmall.jpg)
173.5 KB277 views
Click for full-size image (OrionsSwordsmall.jpg)
166.6 KB246 views
Click for full-size image (NGC2070and surrounds_small.jpg)
136.5 KB210 views
Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Pretty good for a first go, Peter!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 PM
h0ughy (David)

peter the blue artifact is also in the orion shot - but for the 10 min total - oh wow! the star halos are a bit of a worry, but i will have to learn to adapt and get used to it i suppose. 10 min and you have dust!!!!! bet you have no light pollution

Mike is the first shot a crop of the second image? Thanks for posting a image of your setup
Old 10-12-2010, 12:41 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

No, The first is C8+Hyperstar, the second is piggy-backed Pentax Takumar 135mm lens + QHY8 Pro as in the photos (that's why I included them).

My apologies, I thought the explanatory filenames would show in the pics, but they don't.

Neither shot is cropped and both from the same camera.

I guess I was just trying to illustrate the FOV of the Hyperstar vs a common widefield astro-style 135mm @~f4 lens.

Peter's M42 shot is via a C14, so longer FL than my C8. Don't know if he cropped.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM
h0ughy (David)

thanks Mike - very similar FOV to say ed80?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Yep, I might just pop the WO80 on tonight if it's clear, so I have a 3-way comparison. Can't beat the f2 performance of the Hyperstar though.

Your C11 will be an even better lightbucket. I reckon it's at the cost/performance sweetspot.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:47 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
Yep, I might just pop the WO80 on tonight if it's clear, so I have a 3-way comparison. Can't beat the f2 performance of the Hyperstar though.

Your C11 will be an even better lightbucket. I reckon it's at the cost/performance sweetspot.
i hope so.

be a good comparison
Old 10-12-2010, 01:51 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
i hope so.

be a good comparison
Here's a couple of uncropped shots that will give you an idea of the C11/HS3 FOV.

NGC6188 NGC7293 NGC2070
Old 10-12-2010, 04:48 PM
h0ughy (David)

oh i am so looking forward to this. package should be here 7-10 days