Old 28-10-2014, 11:06 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Just joined!

Hello Everyone,

Decided to join up and see the classifieds and see the discussions going on. I am looking forward to enjoying my telescope and binoculars when I get them soon. Have been interested in astronomy since I was a kid but only recently took up grabbing a telescope after spending the last couple of years chatting away with a friend who has been a member of an astronomy club. Looking to buy either a dobsonian or a Schmidt cassegrain (probably an 8" due to weight). Know a few things about astronomy over time but need to learn a lot (and willing to learn too )

Hope to meet people, get help and be able to contribute where I can.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 28-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Matt,

to Ice In Space

An 8" dob is a great place to start, so you are on the right track there.

Great bang for your buck and easy to help you learn what is up there with only a star chart, wheel or atlas to get you star hopping and finding some great targets to view.

Don't forget to ask heaps of questions and keep your eyes peeled for bargains on icetrade.

Cheers

Chris
Old 28-10-2014, 11:20 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Thanks for the welcome

I will certainly be looking at the Icetrade classifieds to see what I can find. Just not sure of what payment methods are normally accepted and not sure of how to check how legit a scope is (although I think there are a few posts on the classifieds relating to that).
Old 28-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hey Matt,

Bank transfer is usually the norm, especially if shipping the item. I haven't had a problem yet, with half a dozen purchases, just get details prior to transfer and preferably a phone number so you can chat prior to paying. Also, ask someone by Pm, like me if you are feeling unsure about the legitimacy of a seller, or the moderators who may be able to provide some background or advice.

Chris
Old 29-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Hi Matt, I reckon first order of business should be joining your friend's astronomy club. Observing with mates increases the joy of the hobby ten-fold (unless you end up being an imager – reclusive curmudgeons those... )

Once you get out under the stars with a bunch of likeminded people you will gain a much better perspective of sizes, views, weights, setup times, cost, etc. I wouldn't rush into any purchases before sampling a good variety of scopes. At those astro club gatherings (formal or informal) people will almost invariably be happy to share their scopes with eager newcomers (a big part of amateur astronomy is equipment pride), so don't be shy to ask.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:40 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriverone View Post
Hey Matt,

Bank transfer is usually the norm, especially if shipping the item. I haven't had a problem yet, with half a dozen purchases, just get details prior to transfer and preferably a phone number so you can chat prior to paying. Also, ask someone by Pm, like me if you are feeling unsure about the legitimacy of a seller, or the moderators who may be able to provide some background or advice.

Chris
Thanks for the advice Chris. I will keep that in mind. There have been a few good telescopes I have been considering. bank transfer is fine and yes I would wish to talk with the person beforehand given you usually shell out over $1000 for most items including telescopes.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:46 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
Hi Matt, I reckon first order of business should be joining your friend's astronomy club. Observing with mates increases the joy of the hobby ten-fold (unless you end up being an imager – reclusive curmudgeons those... )

Once you get out under the stars with a bunch of likeminded people you will gain a much better perspective of sizes, views, weights, setup times, cost, etc. I wouldn't rush into any purchases before sampling a good variety of scopes. At those astro club gatherings (formal or informal) people will almost invariably be happy to share their scopes with eager newcomers (a big part of amateur astronomy is equipment pride), so don't be shy to ask.

Cheers
Steffen.
Thanks Steffen. I have joined the club as a member, although waiting on my membership card for a few weeks now. I have attended two astronomy nights and have been lucky enough to quiz some of the telescope owners about their dobsonians (2 x 16" telescopes), Celestron and Meade Schmidt Cassegrains. I have been researching for a few months now and narrowed my field to there telescopes - Meade LX200 8" ACF, Celestron 9.25" CPC and the Orion Skyquest XX16g. Weighing up the options and have seen the Celestron and Meade varieties and spoken to Bintel about the Orion Skyquest XX16g. It is an interesting telescope from goto, disassembly options to weight considerations.

I plan to make sure I have checked things out and whether options will fit in my car and storage at my house!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM
NQAstro (Chris)
Awsome User

Welcome to the forums Matt, good sound advice from the other guys. enjoy your stay.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:24 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
Observing with mates increases the joy of the hobby ten-fold (unless you end up being an imager – reclusive curmudgeons those... )

Steffen.
I Resent that Steffen -

Welcome to the world of astro Matt
Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Just kiddin Steffen - was in a jokin mood
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Haha, no worries, so was I

Cheers