Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 13-01-2021, 08:54 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftclausen View Post
Thanks for confirming your success with the Bintel 6" newts and the images look amazing - good work! I will, most likely, put in an order for the Bintel (GSO) 6" F6 + Saxon HEQ5 tomorrow.

I do want to do mainly planetary imaging but, for my initial foray into imaging, I'll have to do non-planet things since they're below the horizon for now (and looking at the ZWO cameras you mentioned). I was thinking of mainly trying with clusters, double stars, the moon, orion nebula. I appreciate that without autoguiding it'll limit DSO options but I look forward to just practicing and take satisfaction from small incremental improvements.

Finally, immediately after getting the mount and OTA, I'll be just doing visual while learning the set-up.
Thanks Fred
One thing I failed to mention ( apologies) , the 6” f6 Bintel newt comes with a single speed focuser as standard. For imaging you will definitely need a dual speed focuser ( I had mine replaced from the start care of Don at Bintel )
If intend to image later this year , I would have Don order a dual speed focuser now and fit it later on ( I suspect they wouldn’t have a dual speed focuser in stock as it’s a special order for this size scope )
Martin
Old 13-01-2021, 09:08 PM
ftclausen (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Thanks Fred
One thing I failed to mention ( apologies) , the 6” f6 Bintel newt comes with a single speed focuser as standard. For imaging you will definitely need a dual speed focuser ( I had mine replaced from the start care of Don at Bintel )
If intend to image later this year , I would have Don order a dual speed focuser now and fit it later on ( I suspect they wouldn’t have a dual speed focuser in stock as it’s a special order for this size scope )
Martin
Ah, yes, I'll be sure to request one of those. I actually went there today and (I didn't have the sense to ask for a name) the person who helped mentioned the 6" F5/6 newts did have a dual speed focuser (or maybe one of them did). Anyway, I'll be sure to order that if not present already.
Old 18-01-2021, 09:55 AM
ftclausen (Fred)

To close the loop: I am now the proud owner of

- SkyWatcher HEQ5 Pro Dual: Bintel recommended the SW mount due to parts availability in Australia. Functionally similar to the Saxon EQ5 one; certainly for my needs anyway.
- Bintel 6 Inch f/5 OTA newt: Initially I had requested the f/6 OTA but this was not in stock anymore so went with f/5. From reading/discussions I think it'll make minimal difference for visual viewing (as compared to f/6) and will have a wider field of view. In any case, a vast improvement over what I have now.

This is for my 40th birthday on the weekend so I'm resisting unboxing until then - reading manuals and the guides Martin so kindly sent in the meantime

I'm sure I will have some follow-up questions before too long.
Old 18-01-2021, 02:20 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftclausen View Post
To close the loop: I am now the proud owner of

- SkyWatcher HEQ5 Pro Dual: Bintel recommended the SW mount due to parts availability in Australia. Functionally similar to the Saxon EQ5 one; certainly for my needs anyway.
- Bintel 6 Inch f/5 OTA newt: Initially I had requested the f/6 OTA but this was not in stock anymore so went with f/5. From reading/discussions I think it'll make minimal difference for visual viewing (as compared to f/6) and will have a wider field of view. In any case, a vast improvement over what I have now.

This is for my 40th birthday on the weekend so I'm resisting unboxing until then - reading manuals and the guides Martin so kindly sent in the meantime

I'm sure I will have some follow-up questions before too long.
Enjoy your new rig !!
Happy to help
Now for some clear nights !!
Martin
Old 18-01-2021, 05:42 PM
AdamJL

+ happy birthday!
Old 19-01-2021, 09:01 PM
sharpiel

The cloud gods will not be happy about this at all
Old 22-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Muzfox (Murray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Enjoy your new rig !!
Happy to help
Now for some clear nights !!
Martin
Martin, you seem to be the man to talk to regarding the 6" F6 GSO Newt. I notice Andrews are now advertising it with the dual focuser which is sweet. Do you need a coma corrector with it? I'm currently DLSR imaging at around 400mm and think this scope would be ideal of me to punch in to 900mm on my HEQ5. Just trying to work out what acessories I would need to at least get going with it (currently thinking scope + collimator).

Thanks in advance!

Murray
Old 23-01-2021, 11:14 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzfox View Post
Martin, you seem to be the man to talk to regarding the 6" F6 GSO Newt. I notice Andrews are now advertising it with the dual focuser which is sweet. Do you need a coma corrector with it? I'm currently DLSR imaging at around 400mm and think this scope would be ideal of me to punch in to 900mm on my HEQ5. Just trying to work out what acessories I would need to at least get going with it (currently thinking scope + collimator).

Thanks in advance!

Murray
Hi Murray
Yes my 6” f6 still suffered from coma in the edges so I took advice from many APers and bought a Baader MCCP Mk3 coma corrector, fixed the issue on my 6” f6 and 8” f5
These work down to f3.9
They cost a bit but are light weight , quality optics and screw straight into your Nikon or Canon t ring adapter. You can even screw filters on the end of it
I use a ZWO Duoband filter in my Baader CC for my ZWO2600MC cooled OSC camera
Cheers
Martin
Old 23-01-2021, 08:23 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

Did the baader help move the focus out? my 6" GSO really needs the focuser racked in right now for photos, and would love to move that back a little.
Old 23-01-2021, 08:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerouter View Post
Did the baader help move the focus out? my 6" GSO really needs the focuser racked in right now for photos, and would love to move that back a little.
Ryan
I had to move my primary mirror on my 6” f6 GSO Bintel newt closer to the focuser end by about 5 or 6mm using round cork spacers ( they are available from Bunnings ) on the primary mirror support
I removed the original Chinese spacers which were 2mm thick and used 2 Bunnings cork spacers which moved it out about 5mm or 6mm
This gave me plenty of in and out travel on the focuser for imaging
Old 23-01-2021, 09:01 PM
raymo

Just buy an SW Newt, and you won't have to mess about, they're all
suitable for visual or AP out of the box.
raymo
Old 23-01-2021, 09:24 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Just buy an SW Newt, and you won't have to mess about, they're all
suitable for visual or AP out of the box.
raymo
Raymo
I own and have used both both Skywatcher and GSO newts over the past 4 years
Skywatcher OTA’s especially the focusers are inferior in manufactured quality ( not optics ) IMHO to GSO , poorly machined thin walled adapters and grub screws have crappy threads
It is worth the “mess about” on the 6” GSO which takes 15 minutes to do
By the way my GSO 8” f5 newt reaches focus out of the box
I’m considering a 10” f5 newt for my new Obs late this year and it will definitely be a GSO
Cheers
Martin