Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 04-02-2021, 04:46 PM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

Colour missing in RAW files processed with DSS

I have been stacking images using DSS with JPEG files
Now I am taking the next step in using the RAW file format
Finally got some clear skies and got some imaging done last night

However after trying some stacking I found almost all the colours were missing from my stacks. I am unsure if its due to my Camera settings or my stacker

Equipment
Pentax K3 DSLR & lenses
Deep Space Stacker
PS9 elements

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Peter
Old 04-02-2021, 04:53 PM
glend (Glen)

Just take those files to Photoshop, open them there as RAW files. On the image enhancement tab, push auto colour correction. You have the colour information there already. You can play around with the colour curves and levels is you wish.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:25 PM
RyanJones

Hi Peter,

Check to make sure the Bayer Matrix in TIFF/FITTs menu is set to suit your camera. If it isn’t on auto or set to your camera/bayer matrix it maybe interpreting the data as being Monochrome. If however there is some colour but it’s very feint then that can be normal for some data sets. There are other options in the advanced tab when you go to stack that improve colour in the final stack but in my experience, with good data, it doesn’t make a huge difference. You can enhance the colour in your processing software.

Hope that helps

Ryan
Old 04-02-2021, 09:08 PM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

Thanks Ryan
I will try that first

The problem with the earlier solution of recolourising in photoshop has a problem. My TIFF files come out as 32bit while photoshop (PS9 elements)
will only handle 16 bit files. I have had to process the master image on the GF's computer graphic programs first to even get in into a format that PS will handle. I am starting to think I should keep working with JPEGS
Old 05-02-2021, 08:28 AM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Vondel View Post
Thanks Ryan
I will try that first

The problem with the earlier solution of recolourising in photoshop has a problem. My TIFF files come out as 32bit while photoshop (PS9 elements)
will only handle 16 bit files. I have had to process the master image on the GF's computer graphic programs first to even get in into a format that PS will handle. I am starting to think I should keep working with JPEGS
That is easily solved Peter. There are two solutions. You can save the file in DSS as a 16bit file but I don’t do that. Secondly you should be able to open the 32bit file in Photoshop ( I know I can ) and then you select Image>mode>16bit. It will then bring up a sample and there is a selection box up the top that is set on HDR. Don’t be tempted to use this option. Open the box and there is Exposure & Gamma. Select that. You can then do your processing in 16bit and it won’t clip the blacks or whites. My suggestion is to do your initial processing while the image is still quite colorless and only do your saturation and vibrance towards the end otherwise you can run the risk not having enough headroom to stretch the dimmer parts of the image.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:34 AM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
That is easily solved Peter. There are two solutions. You can save the file in DSS as a 16bit file but I don’t do that. Secondly you should be able to open the 32bit file in Photoshop ( I know I can ) and then you select Image>mode>16bit. It will then bring up a sample and there is a selection box up the top that is set on HDR. Don’t be tempted to use this option. Open the box and there is Exposure & Gamma. Select that. You can then do your processing in 16bit and it won’t clip the blacks or whites. My suggestion is to do your initial processing while the image is still quite colorless and only do your saturation and vibrance towards the end otherwise you can run the risk not having enough headroom to stretch the dimmer parts of the image.
Maybe its because I only have the elements version that it won't do 32 bit TIFFs. I got the RAW image update from MS earlier. I couldn't even see any RAW files on the old WIN10. Thanks for your suggestions
Old 05-02-2021, 09:49 AM
glend (Glen)

Save them as 16bit, no one needs 32bit. Try that.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:23 PM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

I think it was the colour space setting on my camera
I tried to process JPEG back ups and my image can our
looking like the Green Lantern!
Unfortunately rain tonight so I will have to wait
Thanks to everyone with your help