Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 25-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Liz

thank you for that great info Philip and Marie.
Old 27-03-2011, 07:48 PM
mr bruess
Stargazer who Posts

info

good to be kept informed
Old 06-04-2011, 08:14 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Would it be recommended to avoid staying in and around Port Douglass during the eclipse because of the marathon?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Ok I'm feeling a little better - I had left booking my accommodation until now and I was worried I wouldn't find anything.

I've had to pay a little more no doubt, but I'm booked in now so I'm happy.

Have booked at the Villas at Palm Cove for 3 nights, 13th, 14th and 15th. I'm taking the family so needed a 3 bedroom room, and it's costing us $290/night.

So I'll be there a day early to scope out the best locations to set up. Palm Cove seems to be in a good spot, halfway between Cairns and Port Douglas and pretty much right on the centre line.

Having a look on Google Street View, the Captain Cook Highway runs along the coast but there's very little area to pull over on the side of the road and walk down to the beach.

Perhaps there'll be a view from the Villas - the view to the East doesn't look too bad, but it will depend on trees etc as the Eclipse will be down low.

It looks like a really good spot down here on the Esplanade with parking and right on the beach, but I hope the Eclipse doesn't rise right behind that island, Double Island.
Does anyone know?

Now to figure out flights to get my family and my gear there, and organise car hire for when we're there.

Last edited by iceman; 06-04-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:32 AM
DJVege

Thanks for the article, iceman. I'm trying to get the whole family to make the trip.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJVege View Post
Thanks for the article, iceman. I'm trying to get the whole family to make the trip.
At least you don't have too far to go
Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 AM
DJVege

Yeah, was considering making the drive instead of flying... but we'll see. My parents and brother are in Bris-Vegas, so they can fly to Rocky and we could drive up together... but we're Indians and making a decision is always difficult. There always seems to be too many cooks in the kitchen.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Captain Charlie (Gareth)

Palm Cove questions questions questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
... It looks like a really good spot down here on the Esplanade with parking and right on the beach, but I hope the Eclipse doesn't rise right behind that island, Double Island.
Does anyone know? ...
Iceman, I live in Palm Cove. What are you trying to find out?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Charlie View Post
Iceman, I live in Palm Cove. What are you trying to find out?
Hi Charlie
I'm trying to understand whether, if I setup to view/photograph the eclipse down on the esplanade, where abouts the Sun will rise in relation to that island.

Cheers and thanks!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Big Dave (Dave)
Telescopes keep me poor

Nimrod Port Douglas Resort Apartments

I am staying at the Nimrod Port Douglas Resort Apartments, any IIS member wanting to catch up send me a PM.

Regards,
Big Dave
Old 08-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Captain Charlie (Gareth)

Palm Cove questions questions questions

Quote:
Hi Charlie
I'm trying to understand whether, if I setup to view/photograph the eclipse down on [Williams Esplanade at Palm Cove, not the Esplanade in Cairns city], where abouts the Sun will rise in relation to [Double] island.

Cheers and thanks!
Hey Iceman, that's a good question. Remember that, when you're located north of the Tropic of Capricorn, the sun actually reaches its highest position in the sky twice during the year: once on its way to the summer solstice, and then again on its way to the winter solstice ... which could explain why Queenslanders' support for introducing daylight saving is much less if you live and work to the north of the Tropic of Capricorn. But I digress.

In November when the eclipse is predicted, the sun will rise to the south of east, and Double Island is to the north of east when you're on Williams Esplanade, generally speaking. There's a motorised scanning webcam down at the beach on the surf lifesaving hut and you can actually see Double Island during its northerly sweep. Here's some links to that cam (when it's working):
http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/c...Name=Palm Cove
http://www.cairnsgreatbarrierreef.org.au/Webpages/default.aspx?id=31

A second webcam across the road on Williams Esplanade gives a fixed view to the east. This time of year the sun rises around 6.15am QLD time:
http://www.cairnscam.info/

There's also a jetty at the northern end of Williams Esplanade which is usually used 24/7 by local fishing enthusiasts. It could give you a good vantage point too (away from the beach), but I'm not sure I'd want to be out there with expensive camera gear and lots of jostling crowds looking skywards in twilight.

Just to the north of Palm Cove, to the east of the Captain Cook Highway, is a raised headland called Buchans Point. You might find a spot up there amongst the expensive homes.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:12 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

That's very helpful, thanks Charlie!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
gary

Google Earth as a Sun position resource

Quote:
I'm trying to understand whether, if I setup to view/photograph the eclipse down on the esplanade, where abouts the Sun will rise in relation to that island.

Cheers and thanks!
Hi Mike,

Invoke Google Earth.

View->Sun

A sliding time tool bar will appear in the top left corner of the main image window.
Click on its 'Spanner' icon and adjust the date and time. Be aware of the American-style
mm/dd/yy format. Be sure to set an appropriate time zone to match your choice of time setting.

Zoom in on the image pane so your eye altitude is just above sea level.
With mouse over the image page, depress and keep depressed middle mouse button and drag
to change your "look at" direction so you are looking out to sea from your chosen vantage point.

Adjust the sliding time tool bar and watch where the Sun will rise from that location.

Best regards

Gary
Old 11-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Mike I will be just down the road from you as I'm staying with friends at Clifton beach with my partner.
I'm just grateful to have somewhere to stay at mates rates
I have not made any arrangements yet apart from yeah we are going up there but may book some flights soon!
I'm sure many people from here and the many astronomical societies will be up that way for the eclipse.
Old 30-04-2011, 02:52 PM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

P&O cruises

Hey All,

P&O have just released a cruise for the eclipse.

it will be between Yorkeys Knob and Port Douglas at the right time.

I booked already, there is heaps of rooms available

http://www.pocruises.com.au/findacru...ruiseCode=W240

If anyone is considering this, keep in touch cause it would be nice to be on the cruise with fellow IIS members

Last edited by steve000; 30-04-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 23-06-2011, 07:56 PM
RWhite (Roman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
2017 looks good too - continental United States, what a party that would be! Have eclipse-nutter friends in Oregon, not far from the eclipse path. Indonesia March 2016 is a possibility but probably monsoon affected.Cheers -
Sorry for continuing off-topic, but you didn't mention Africa in 2013. Gabon is an option with over 1 minute of totality, and Uganda is just around 25-30 seconds. Weather chances are not so fair, but far better than ones Indonesia has. Anyway I'll give it a try if fail to reach Queensland.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

well i have been thinking over and over about going to this event and then i decided bugger it if i miss this i will so be saying to myself "dam it i wish i went"
I have never been on a real holiday before let alone go on a plane so i thought bugger it what a better way to have my first holiday ever to top it of with a solar eclipse So yep its official im going woohooo
Paid my deposit and confirmed my booking today woohooo im soooo excited

Im even lashing out and have booked for 7 nights staying at Palm Cove Reef Retreat 50 meters from the beach in a 2 bedroom villa unit woohoooooooooooooooooooooooo
I so hope i get to meet many IIS members on this trip maybe we can pick a place where we can all meet for dinner the night before or lunch after the eclipse that would be so awsome SEE YOU ALL THERE

Is it NOVEMBER 2012 YET

Oh now i just have to tell the hubby we going on a holiday and he is paying
Old 13-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Big Dave (Dave)
Telescopes keep me poor

Catch you there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
well i have been thinking over and over about going to this event and then i decided bugger it if i miss this i will so be saying to myself "dam it i wish i went"
I have never been on a real holiday before let alone go on a plane so i thought bugger it what a better way to have my first holiday ever to top it of with a solar eclipse So yep its official im going woohooo
Paid my deposit and confirmed my booking today woohooo im soooo excited

Im even lashing out and have booked for 7 nights staying at Palm Cove Reef Retreat 50 meters from the beach in a 2 bedroom villa unit woohoooooooooooooooooooooooo
I so hope i get to meet many IIS members on this trip maybe we can pick a place where we can all meet for dinner the night before or lunch after the eclipse that would be so awsome SEE YOU ALL THERE

Is it NOVEMBER 2012 YET

Oh now i just have to tell the hubby we going on a holiday and he is paying
Old 13-08-2011, 07:41 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Awesome! I'm at Palm Cove too. See you there!
Old 13-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Paul Haese

We are staying with friends up there. I think at Cliffton Beach. There is an another friend up there too that we could stay with just in case the first one falls through.

I reckon shooting frames around the esplanade is not a great idea. The pennisula is your main problem when looking west to south west. The peak is pretty high and cloud will form near it. From memory when I lived there it always had cloud near it or on it during summer. I think if you travel a bit north to get nearer the center line you will have a clear unobstructed view from the beach, so long as cloud does not interfere. I have a feeling though that cloud will be present on the day though.