Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 29-04-2019, 09:30 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Recommended 4 port hub for Windows 10

I’ve been using an MBeat 7 port hub ( only use 2 ports ) for a while now which has never worked properly on my Windows 10 laptop
I have EQMOD through it operating my telescope without any issue at all
I also have my mouse running through it which has been painful , sometimes works ok sometimes doesn’t
So I decided to do a test in Device Manager and plug the hub in by itself with its power supply on. Device manager flashes up and down and obviously can’t find it
I checked the MBeat website and apparently you don’t need a driver for this device
Any suggestions on either a new hub that will work ( a 4 port will do the job )
or other on Windows 10
By the way my laptop has a total of 3 x USB3 ports all used ( 1 port for the hub , 1 port for BYEOS and 1 port for PHD2?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Got some advice off a friend
Purchased a Startech 4 port USB3 Superspeed powered Hub from Mwave , delivery early next week
Doesn’t need a driver and should connect to the laptop straight away
I away for 2 weeks so when I get back will try it out and report back , for those who might be interested
Cheers
Old 01-05-2019, 08:43 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

I run a 4 port on my mount, everything is connected to it and then to my laptop. Everything is so much tidier now.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:34 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Karl
What brand and model of hub ?
Is it USB2 or USB3 ?
Is it powered with a 12V charger or unpowered ( bus )
Martin
Old 03-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I’ve been using an MBeat 7 port hub ( only use 2 ports ) for a while now which has never worked properly on my Windows 10 laptop
I have EQMOD through it operating my telescope without any issue at all
I also have my mouse running through it which has been painful , sometimes works ok sometimes doesn’t
So I decided to do a test in Device Manager and plug the hub in by itself with its power supply on. Device manager flashes up and down and obviously can’t find it
I checked the MBeat website and apparently you don’t need a driver for this device
Any suggestions on either a new hub that will work ( a 4 port will do the job )
or other on Windows 10
By the way my laptop has a total of 3 x USB3 ports all used ( 1 port for the hub , 1 port for BYEOS and 1 port for PHD2?

Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Got some advice off a friend
Purchased a Startech 4 port USB3 Superspeed powered Hub from Mwave , delivery early next week
Doesn’t need a driver and should connect to the laptop straight away
I away for 2 weeks so when I get back will try it out and report back , for those who might be interested
Cheers
I'll be interested in this answer & how your hub goes... my HP only has 2 USB ports which is next to useless even for general day to day use!!
Old 05-05-2019, 07:58 AM
gregbradley

Belkin
Had trouble with ports until I got
Some Belkin ports. They are reliable.
Greg
Old 05-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

Mine is Belkin USB3 powered, I can use it powered of not and still be 7m away, I'll take a pic later when it gets dark and I have it going. I got mine from Jaycar pretty cheap.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Karl
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Always go for brand name usb hubs and cables. Don't save a few bucks getting something from local computer markets or ebay. Not many hubs supply the full 5V @ 1A many usb devices expect. It may share the juice amoung all the ports being used rather than supplying to full power to each port separately. Then there's the data transmission, every physical USB port gets a unique address so software knows where to find the device its trying to communicate with. Its not really "universal". The software and operating system will communicate in certain ways to the USB devices, in some cases "locking" that device to that exact port so swapping it around wont help. Usually a reboot will help clear locks though. Always disconnect USB devices from the task tray icon in windows for that purpose, never just rip the cable out.

Troubleshooting is as has been described, unplug everything, reboot back to the operating system from scratch, make sure everything runs fine there before plugging in a usb hub, ideally to the socket you want to devote to using it. the os should mount it and maybe request drivers, deal with that, next follow install instructions for your usb devices one by one. Some require you to install drivers to the operating system first before connecting the device. take note of things like that and follow the instructions!
Old 06-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Steve
Well received
Martin
Old 16-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve used my new Startech 4 port USB3 super speed powered hub over 3 nights now and all my apps are working ok including the mouse

Finally found one that works !!

I’ve ordered another one for my 8” scope down the coast