ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-01-2017, 03:35 PM
nick351 (Nick)

10" vs 12" dob - eyepiece budget question

Hello all!

First post here, looking at purchasing my first scope whether it's new or 2nd hand.

My question is in regards to the perceived value obtained from going with a 10" collapsible dob (goto) with quality eyepieces (e.g 13mm nagler, 24mm panoptic) or a 12" collapsible don (goto) with its standard eyepieces.

I can understand that there is also many other factors to consider.

Apologies if this has been covered before...

Thanks!
Old 19-01-2017, 04:31 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

For a first scope the usually included Plössls or Superview eyepieces are perfectly adequate. There is no need to jump onto the expensive eyepiece bandwagon on day one.
Old 19-01-2017, 04:53 PM
fbk (Fraser)

Went through all of those questions myself recently. Get the telescope that will best meet your needs. Bigger is better but no point if it's too hard to store and transport. I went with a 12" and am very happy I did. For others, size might be prohibitive.

You can add better eyepieces later and if you sell/upgrade your telescope you'll have standard ones to go with it while you keep the expensive ones.
Old 19-01-2017, 08:56 PM
nick351 (Nick)

Thanks for the responses. Confirmed my suspicions.

Storage and transportation isn't much of an issue, was more concerned with getting the better bang for buck.
Old 20-01-2017, 12:43 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

I'd say get the bigger Dob with the stock eyepieces, but try not to underestimate storage and transportation issues – most people do.

It's not a big deal if you plan to attend half a dozen meets or star parties per year, but for something you'd like to use whenever the night is dark and clear the effort to wheel out big kit has proven a large enough deterrent for many people.
Old 20-01-2017, 07:43 AM
dimithri86 (Dimithri)

I am a fairly strong young guy yet I find it a pain dealing with my 10in dob. But that said I am motivated, and it never stops me, and if I had a 12in I would probably use it just as much.

Pending storage and transportation, I would go with the bigger aperture. I have a few premium eye pieces, but I only use 2 pieces on a regular basis. One is a 90$ GSO. So you can get the better aperture, and then get one or two good eyepieces if you arent satisfied with the stock ones.
Old 20-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Robair (Robert)
Seeing is Not Believing

Gday Nick

The larger the aperture the bigger the wow factor will be. However as mentioned be very aware of the increase in weight and portability especially with a goto dob. They are very heavy!!
Having said that if you install some lockable trolley wheels and don't have to lug the scope up or down stairs go nuts on the size.
Also be aware with goto's that you ideally need a quite unobstructed view of the sky, my backyard has significant tree obstructions to the north and south and has made alignment tricky until I learnt the location of some pretty obscure stars and planned my alignment time carefully to ensure suitable stars were in view.
In regards to eyepieces what you will get with the scope will be adequate however try out eyepieces at star parties, get a feel for what works for you and make your decisions based on that. There are frequently well cared for and competitively priced eyepieces on the IIS Classifieds. Make sure you have a good barlow too so you can double the utility of the eyepieces you have.

Cheers
Rob B

Last edited by Robair; 20-01-2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Rubbish typing
Old 20-01-2017, 04:35 PM
nick351 (Nick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robair View Post
Gday Nick

The larger the aperture the bigger the wow factor will be. However as mentioned be very aware of the increase in weight and portability especially with a goto dob. They are very heavy!!
Having said that if you install some lockable trolley wheels and don't have to lug the scope up or down stairs go nuts on the size.
Also be aware with goto's that you ideally need a quite unobstructed view of the sky, my backyard has significant tree obstructions to the north and south and has made alignment tricky until I learnt the location of some pretty obscure stars and planned my alignment time carefully to ensure suitable stars were in view.
In regards to eyepieces what you will get with the scope will be adequate however try out eyepieces at star parties, get a feel for what works for you and make your decisions based on that. There are frequently well cared for and competitively priced eyepieces on the IIS Classifieds. Make sure you have a good barlow too so you can double the utility of the eyepieces you have.

Cheers
Rob B

Thanks Rob, great tips there.

Majority of my viewing will be from my backyard in Sydney's Hills District, with hopefully some regular trips to darker skies/club meet. Storage of the scope would be in my garage and will be wheeled out into the backyard (flat surface). Transporting shouldn't be too bad we have a 4wd and hilux ute

The 12" collapsible goto is sounding a lot better!
Old 21-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Robair (Robert)
Seeing is Not Believing

Gday Nick

You will enjoy the 12" and it's photon guzzling abilities immensely.
Your choice will also pre-deal with aperture fever nicely so that scope should be a keeper for many many years.
One other quick thing to check is whether the scope will potentially handle a dslr attached for some imaging. This is a road you may want to go down in the future. Dobs are not great for imaging however it can be done.
Some brands do not have adequate focus travel to get the camera sensor at the correct point to image. From memory Orion scopes are no good, Skywatcher scopes are ok. I could be wrong here however if you do a forum search I recall IIS member Raymo has commented on this a zillion times. This is just another matter to potentially consider to more comprehensively future proof your investment.
Cheers
Rob B
Old 21-01-2017, 10:31 AM
nick351 (Nick)

At this stage I'm looking at the Skywatcher collapsible. Completely understand it's imaging limitations as I wanted to start with a decent visual observation scope to start with and then down the track go down the path of a proper imaging setup with another scope/mount combo.

I've already got a Sony A7 full-frame camera which I would be looking to attach for short exposures, but also looking into the capabilities of a ZWO camera or equivalent on a dobsonian.
Old 30-01-2017, 09:03 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

I think that 12" goto will be wonderful.

Be aware there are other forms of imaging than sticking a DSLR camera on the mount for long exposure. Video, webcam can provide great results and work fine on most GoTo mounts. Even eyepiece snap shots with your cell phone.

Astrophotography – Overview of Different types and what is needed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHyQbHJl5V0

BASIC ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY USING COMPACT CAMERAS AND SMART PHONES

Orion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz63FnLnswE

Beginner Astrophotography
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx0OGsuZTUY

WEBCAM ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY - PLANETS

Introductory astrophotography using a Webcam for planetary imaging -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeHj6qT5JSE
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?ann...id=CeHj6qT5JSE
http://www.universetoday.com/108692/...m-to-planetcam