Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 18-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Hoges (John)

Alt Az mount for 6" refractor

I recently picked up a 6" F8 refractor (thanks David) and needed a mount for it for visual use. I've got a HEQ5 but I find equatorials an absolute pia when using binocular viewers - particularly when the bino viewer is at right angles to the ground and part of the diagonal suddenly unscrews...fortunately, everything has stayed put so far when this has happened.

I already had a smaller version of this mount for my 4" ed F9 - the cradle fitted the six inch rings nicely and seemed to balance well with the scope on, but the box section was way too short only allowing for about a 45 degree view. I had some 1" thick laminated particle board sitting in my hayshed for several years so I figured this would be plenty heavy duty enough for it.

The pictures are of the scope on a small table I use if I'm going away, but the mount will sit on a pier in my observatory. The top of the pier has an alloy plate on it - I find teflon sliders are excellent on alloy with no 'stiction' (I think that's the word!). The end result has been better than expected with the scope only requiring a finger to move in altitude and it doesn't seem overly critical balance-wise when changing eyepieces. It's a bit stiffer in azimuth but still moves smoothly with no jerkiness.

I pilfered a JMI focuser from another scope and replaced the stock focuser with it - this saved enough inches so that with a 1 1/4" diagonal, the bino viewer will come to focus without needing to take the angle grinder to the tube. (or use barlows)

I've managed a couple of short sessions with the scope so far and was not expecting it to perform as well as it has - particularly on Saturn & Jupiter which were some of the best views I've seen (minus a bit of CA) and am looking forward to spending some serious time tracking down all my favorites.

Most scopes I've had seem to perform really well with these type of mounts - I had a 10" SCT sitting in a similar mount for a few years and have put a 10" reflector on one in the past. Even with the 6" refractor, vibes are minimal although it does feel the wind. On the occasion I bump it with my glasses, there's only a small oscillation for a second or so.

They're not difficult to make - probably the trickiest bit is cutting the circle for the altitude bearings - a router with a guide that's screwed to the center of the circle seems to give good results. The teflon sliders also work very well on any pebbly laminated surface too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Side view.jpg)
123.5 KB58 views
Click for full-size image (JMI.jpg)
96.4 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (Zenith.jpg)
121.2 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (Bearing.jpg)
108.1 KB49 views