Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:41 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
Great photos Mike.

I wish I'd been a bit healthier to enjoy it...

Al.
I also wish you'd been a bit healthier, I reckon I caught it from you!
Started coughing on the way to Coona on the Sunday, and haven't stopped yet!

Cheers
Chris
Old 03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
peterl

Thanks for the photos mike....

Certainly some great memories and new friendships from
this 2009 astrocamp.

Peter Langdown
Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp9au View Post
I also wish you'd been a bit healthier, I reckon I caught it from you!
Started coughing on the way to Coona on the Sunday, and haven't stopped yet!

Cheers
Chris
That's what I was afraid of. Sorry. I did my best to keep my distance. It's only the last couple of days that I'm finally almost cough and snivel free...

Al.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Great pics Mike - Im on the road to recovery and ready for IISAC2010

Cheers Petra d.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Kaarpy (Kathleen)

A Belated THANK YOU to Mike and Team

What a great camp! It was my first Star Party/Camp and I was bracing myself for 'super-blokiness' being one of the few female observers there and getting back into Astronomy after a long (decades) lull and with my first humble, but very nice 6" Newtonian Telescope.

But I was pleasantly surpised at how friendly, laid-back, unpretentious and un-patronising people were (blokes included ). I had some key help from the people camped next to me. My partner also enjoyed the beautiful environment, being with passionate 'astro-geeks' and sleeping happily while we all stayed up late. I had heard that other camps were not necessarily that friendly, especially for kids and beginner observers so I'm very glad I went to this one. It was great to see some parents with 'scopes engaging their kids or taking them to look through the large Dobsonians for the nightly sky-tours.

Thanks to Ted for helping me with polar alignment and general advice and Evan for lending me his laser-collimator and showing me a moon transit across Jupiter through his 16" Lightbridge (?) 'scope. (I am getting a collimator for Christmas!).

I had my telescope set up well for that fanstastic Friday night viewing where I went through my list of dark-sky targets until 4am!! I saw so many objects for the first time that were breathtaking even through a 6" telescope and Ted loaned me a H-alpha filter to see added contrast on nebulae - wow! I saw my first galaxy - Andromeda of course and found all objects just by star-hopping and using a very handy Telrad. I was having such a good time, I wasn't even tired until about 2-3am, helped along by hot chocolate and butterscotch schnapps alternately (Normally I'm cactus by 11pm and thanks to our neighbour for the schnapps top-up!)

Being a keen gardener, I was sad to have no room left in the car for the cow poo! Too much shopping and gifts for friends from an expedition to the hunter valley!

I've already put the dates in my diary for next year and hey, even if the weather is bad, the river is beautiful, the company fun and the surrounds relaxing.

Thanks so much to Mike and all volunteers in creating such a great gathering of nice people and educational events in a gorgeous environment.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Nice read there Kathleen Yes i just recently went to my first star party in October too at Snake Valley Ballarat. And like you i took along my baby 6inch Newt and i never seen so many things through that thing like i thought i would I had an absolute ball and i was the only girl there The guys were brilliant and very helpful i couldnt have asked for such great company for the whole weekend
Yep ive penciled in to go next year too