Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 14-11-2017, 09:54 AM
AaronZajonc

experienced landscape, total beginner deep field

Hi IIS members,

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before but haven't found the thread just yet.

I'm quite experienced with astro-landscape photography and i'm interested in taking the next step to connect a camera to a scope.

What are the essential pieces involved and what kind of price would I be looking at? (My friend has a Saxon 1021 EQ3 - 102mm)

Feel free to add links from other threads rather than re-writing.

Thanks in advance.

Images below for aesthetic purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Aaron Zajonc Composite.jpg)
203.5 KB124 views
Click for full-size image (Aaron_Zajonc_Lonely_Tree_Panorama_Monument_Valley.jpg)
113.0 KB103 views
Old 14-11-2017, 10:08 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

The lightest duty mount you'd need for AP is an HEQ5Pro, simply because none of the lighter mounts have the capacity to autoguide (Without modification). That Saxon eq3 mount will be wobbly at best for long exposures, not sure if it has a mount drive, some dont.
Old 14-11-2017, 10:22 AM
doppler (Rick)

A good tracking mount is mandatory, I agree with Tony that a HEQ5 pro ($700 s/h or $1200 new) is a good starting mount. You can use any mount that has a motor drive but lower end mounts are harder to work with. As for telescopes shorter focal length scopes are easier to set up and control without expensive add on accessories. Many would say a ED 80 refractor is the easiest starter scope. If you are more keen, a 8" f5 newtonian will be better for capturing more deep space objects.
Old 14-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Imme (Jon)

I may have a HEQPro-5 coming up for sale in the very near future...1 hour north of Melbourne.
.......could even throw in a 750/150 skywatcher reflector (6 inch F5) in if you're interested.....possibly even a nice little guidescope....wow....basically a whole rig ready to go! All you would need is a camera to image with (which you have), a cheap guidecam (ASI034 ZWO is what I used) and a few cables to hook it to a laptop......full guided imaging setup ready to go.

.....PM me if interested
Old 14-11-2017, 11:37 AM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

If you plan on wanting it to be portable the HEQ5 Pro fits the bill - depending upon your age and physical capabilities you could probably cope with an EQ6, but it is heavier than the HEQ5 Pro.

You'd also need a portable power supply to run the scope, dew heaters etc. Stay away from power packs like the Celestron or SkyWatcher ones, they won't last long term and usually won't last a full night running everything. There are quite a few good threads here on IIS that discuss alternatives.

Many of us have been running the HEQ5 and getting nice results from guided imaging with a portable setup.

Before jumping in and buying gear it would be well worth your while going to a Star Party on an Astro camp to have a good look at what gear others are using and what will suit you and your budget.

The next camp (that I know of) is this weekend at Snake Valley.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=160005

Good luck and welcome to IIS.

Paul

PS Nice images!
Old 23-11-2017, 11:07 AM
AaronZajonc

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's help!

It definitely clears things up a little bit. Will need to do a bit more research in the future!