Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-10-2017, 04:29 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Orion M42, my first image

Hi,

This is my first astrophotography DSO image i did this year, not good, and i didn't process it, someone else, and i am not sure if he processed only 1 frame/exposure or he stacked, and i am not doing processing because i don't know how to do regardless i have apps for that, but with whatever that is a big hope for me for better next time.

QHY163M, ST80[SW], Astrodon Ha 5nm 1.25", no good polar alignment and no guiding, can't remember the exposure time, maybe 30 seconds per exposure or 10 seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (post-239137-0-07888400-1505394086.jpg)
125.8 KB65 views
Old 28-10-2017, 04:32 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

And here are the raw files of this target i uploaded before.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4I...ew?usp=sharing
Old 28-10-2017, 09:34 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well its a start and as such a wonderful effort.
You need to work out how to process your images and although it may seem all too hard just give it a go. There are many utube vids that can help.
Also try to nail your polar align having a view of the North Star must help greatly.
Good luck and keep posting your images.

alex
Old 28-10-2017, 10:25 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Well its a start and as such a wonderful effort.
You need to work out how to process your images and although it may seem all too hard just give it a go. There are many utube vids that can help.
Also try to nail your polar align having a view of the North Star must help greatly.
Good luck and keep posting your images.

alex
Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for that!

Well, i was planning that i can't do them all at once, so this year i am more focusing on collecting gear to a point to out my foot on ground for sky, because if not good equipment then i will waste time trying to have good images so all getting exposures and processing are gonna be a waste.

so i try to have good enough gear now and i continue it later next year to less focus, so next year beginning or even maybe by next month or December i will start having more exposure with better gear syncing or working all together, then while i am relaxing next year in summer for example then i can start processing my current and recent images, so i am taking things step by step, i still have other things in life, processing sounds difficult for me because it is in another language and i am barely trying to understand good enough in English, so i will spend longer time than most here to follow instructions and tutorials from videos, who knows what i will plan to do next month, but i will try to process one target after all soon and see how it will go.

About polar alignment, i feel it is like cooking, you may have all ingredients and you set the fire but at the end the dish or the food isn't good enough at all, the more i read about people suffering to have precise or accurate polar alignment the more i feel i won't waste time on that or i should give up AP, but i already spent a lot and i am deep in the rabbit hole so i have to keep going, i bought a Polemaster for doing good polar alignment and somehow i feel it didn't save my PA time or didn't give me a correct or spot on polar alignment, actually if i pointed my scope directly to Polaris it will give me enough polar alignment maybe better than PoleMaster done, and i really don't like doing long methods such as drift alignment, i did read about it and watched a video and still i can't follow or understand it, and it wasn't short time doing process, so i will work hard again more with Polemaster or point to the north and see how good i can have with polar alignment.

Last thing, this image was taken when i wasn't good about polar alignment and before i can get the Polemaster, i did this target again later and sounds i have RAW exposures better but need to be processed, but sure i have to make everything done properly if i need results, some forums members helped me out, but sometimes the help is beyond my understanding or it lacks some basics i need or i have to read it more again to absorb it enough.

Thanks
Old 28-10-2017, 12:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The processing can be made relatively easy ...of course it can get very complex however I suggest you download Deep Sky Stacker, free, and try using it...if you have problems post them and we will help.
And I find Star Tools rather simple at entry level...you can get a free trial download if you would like to try it.

In any event it is good that you have a plan and I am sure that in time it will be you helping others with getting started.

alex
Old 28-10-2017, 03:44 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
The processing can be made relatively easy ...of course it can get very complex however I suggest you download Deep Sky Stacker, free, and try using it...if you have problems post them and we will help.
And I find Star Tools rather simple at entry level...you can get a free trial download if you would like to try it.

In any event it is good that you have a plan and I am sure that in time it will be you helping others with getting started.

alex
Thank you very much, Alex, i am doing my best!
Old 28-10-2017, 07:35 PM
_Jimmy (Loren James)

You have to start somewhere Tareq! Better than my first efforts for sure

Yeah there are a lot of steps to pull together in astrophotography. And processing is a whole other universe from just taking the image!

As Alex said, plenty of processing videos for various software. Go forth and plunder!

Keep this image, and in a year's time, do another and put up a comparison of your progress, you'll be amazed
Old 29-10-2017, 02:25 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jimmy View Post
You have to start somewhere Tareq! Better than my first efforts for sure

Yeah there are a lot of steps to pull together in astrophotography. And processing is a whole other universe from just taking the image!

As Alex said, plenty of processing videos for various software. Go forth and plunder!

Keep this image, and in a year's time, do another and put up a comparison of your progress, you'll be amazed
Thank you very much!

No need for a year, the image isn't processed properly or maybe didn't use stacking, and i did take another exposures later of that night which will give better results, and soon i am going to order LRGB filters for colors so i will have better results right away in less than 1 year, but i know in one year if i upgrade my gear and keep shooting i will definitely have better images than nowadays, how much improvement we will see.

In fact stacking is the thing i need to learn, i used DSS but it failed me, and just recently i ordered PixInsight license but never used it yet, i will worry about processing later once i can have polar aligned either guided or unguided exposures, but i have to understand stacking as it is the key in astrophotography after all.