Old 02-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Widefield Astrophotography on EQ-2 Mount

Hi guys,

Wanted to get some opinions on how well you think you could do using a dslr with 18-200mm lenses on a motorised eq-2 mount?

Surely this would have to be more stable than a barn door tracker?

Would purchasing a clock drive built for the mount be best? or should I endeavour to attach my own stepper motor?

I'm currently using a barn door tracker attached to an old EQ-1 or 2 mount (This helps with getting the latitude due to the EQ head. I've locked the declination and ra axis on the mount. Just relying on the barn door for RA tracking. ) getting ok results with wide lenses (18-50mm) but would like to start pushing towards 200mm and get 1-2min subs. (currently getting 20-30sec subs but this could be more so due to my lack of accurate polar alignment. I use a compass and app on my phone to set direction and latitude.)

The EQ mount I'm looking to purchase has a built in polar scope which I imagine will be a big help in itself for polar alignment.

Do you think this would be more stable than my current setup? (I'm pretty certain it would be given my old mount is pretty shoddy).

Give me your thoughts on whether this would be worth the $100 bucks for a new mount.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:12 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I have a very old EQ3 with RA motor only. Tracks very well with good polar alignment for 135mm lens, even 4 and 8 min subs unguided. Haven't tried longer, but have no reason to believe there'd be an issue with your 200mm focal length, particularly if you're using shorter subs.

I also got a cheap EQ2 with RA drive, thinking it would be lighter for travel/camping etc as the EQ3 tripod and head can take up some room (not so much a weight issue). I don't think the EQ2 has the same range of movement, so haven't been using it.

So I guess my point is just check that your EQ2 with motor has enough range in RA for you. I would think it's fine for up to 200mm unguided. If not, EQ3 would smash it.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Thanks for that Troy.

I believe the mount is equivalent to an EQ3 with polar guide scope built in. (EQ2's don't come with that right?)

Not so concerned about the size or weight. There both relatively small anyway.

But 4min unguided subs at 135mm sounds like this mount will definitely serve my purposes.

And your just using a basic RA drive that you buy for any other EQ2 or 3 mount correct?
Old 02-06-2017, 03:18 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Yep, just the basic RA drive.