Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 31-12-2018, 05:18 PM
thercman (Greg)

Stellarvue SVQ100 or Sky-Watcher Esprit 100 for imaging?

Hey guys!

I ordered the Sky-Watcher EQ6 R Pro mount and need to find an imaging scope for it. I have been leaning towards the Stellarvue mostly for what appears to be superb optics (Strehl sheet for each scope) They also seem to have great customer service. On the other hand I have read great things about the Esprit line and their good customer service as well.

I have been checking the images on astrobin.com and both scopes can produce outstanding images. The focal length is slightly longer on the Stellarvue which is probably trivial. The Esprit is $500 less expensive which will allow me to use that cash for a finder scope & guide camera...

So does one have much better fit and finish over the other? Are the Stellarview optics better? I have never seen either of these scope in person and have to purchase sight unseen so I am hoping for some good feedback.
Old 31-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Wavytone

Another issue will be the focussed, and its rigidity
Old 31-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Marke (Mark)

Personally I would take the Esprit but I am a little bias as I have the 80mm
It comes with everything including dedicated FF, finderscope even a canon adaptor all in a nice carry case microtouch do a motor for it and you have local support through SW.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I’m a big fan of my Esprit 100...been imaging with it for 3.5 years and it always surprises me. I’ve used it with a full frame DSLR for a decently wide FOV and I even chase galaxies with it using a small pixel camera

The Stellarvue are rarer around these parts being from the USA whereas the Esprit are available and supported locally. From what I understand (i.e. take with a pinch of salt), Stellarvue use optics from the same source as William Optics, Teleskop-Service and others whereas the Esprit are made in-house by Sky-Watcher.

Astro mates have the 120 and 150 Esprit and get excellent images also, but the larger scopes are quite large
Old 01-01-2019, 12:42 PM
thercman (Greg)

Thanks for all the info guys! So what I am hearing is that I cannot go wrong with either one.

I am planning to move to Japan in late 2019 so the tube needs to fit in the carry-on luggage otherwise I might be tempted to get a longer focal length. :-)

It's interesting to hear that the optics are made in the same place as WO. Was very much considering their GT series scopes. But the flatener prices are crazy expensive.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:04 AM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

I have the SVQ100FT; the build quality is fantastic (I have other scopes to compare to inclusive of skywatcher)!

SV will ask what you are connecting to it and will either make or provide custom adaptors. I think you are paying for service, warranty and support.

Let me put it this way; I consider this to be a lifelong scope for me
Old 12-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I have the Esprit 120 triplet with Baader click lock diagonal amongst my scopes, whilst I can not comment on Stellarview, I challenge you to find a review that says anything other than excellent for this scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1050599.jpg)
45.6 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (h.jpg)
54.7 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (P1050532.jpg)
170.1 KB34 views
Old 12-01-2019, 09:20 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The TS 100Q or the Sharpstar 100Q can be bought quite a bit cheaper and are the SAME telescope as the SVQ100 (standard "chinese" focuser). Last time I checked, almost $1000 cheaper!

Sharpstar make the scopes, and you can buy directly from them. TS checks and rebadges them, and they are still cheaper than Stellarvue for the same telescope.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:16 AM
casstony

One point in favour of the SV is its lighter weight; the case is also much lighter.
Old 13-01-2019, 06:02 PM
thercman (Greg)

Hey Guys!!

Thanks for the replies. Well, last week I went ahead and ordered the Esprit 100 along with their guide scope and a ZWO ASI290MM...

Looking forward to putting it through its paces...
Old 13-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by thercman View Post
Hey Guys!!

Thanks for the replies. Well, last week I went ahead and ordered the Esprit 100 along with their guide scope and a ZWO ASI290MM...

Looking forward to putting it through its paces...
You will not regret it

I have the ASI178MM I use for solar imaging, nice camera