Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 17-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Hate to say this but it seems to me you're determined to make life hard for yourself and waste your money in the process ... why not just buy a pair of cheap 70mm binoculars... they will work better and cost less than any of the options you're pursuing.
Where is the fun or the challenge in that
Old 17-10-2016, 10:27 AM
silv (Annette)

yes, where's the fun or challenge?
I own a nice enough cheap bino.
What I would like is to have exchangeable eyepieces and filter threads to battle the light pollution outside my window.

no answer yet re the diameter of the 60mm tubes.

But I found the adapter that would be working with my mirror lens to morph into a telescope
http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en...-part-14).html
I'm lucky to have a T2 lens, apparently. Because other bayonets have an even shorter focal path.
For those lenses like Canon EF and such there are "lens2scope"-adapters which don't fit 1.25" eyepieces but come with extra 10 and 20mm ones.

If it turns out that the 60mm scopes are also too wide I'll get that adapter and check whether there's anybody in my city who has a binoviewer and lets me test it in my lenscope.
Old 17-10-2016, 10:36 AM
silv (Annette)

and in the meantime I'll close my eyes and imagine Jupiter through a 79mm Mak bino.

Regarding the FoV I found a calculator which is very naughty because acc to this Jupiter will only be a whiteblue pinhead with a 6mm plossl.

Would you think I can fit a barlow somewhere in that adapter?

Ah, it doesn't have to be the planets, though. Any walk among the stars will be grand.
Old 17-10-2016, 10:42 AM
silv (Annette)

pink bunnies

did you know that pink bunnies do play golf?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PinkBunnyPlaysGolf clusterandneblula-darkoptimisedandlessstars - Version 2 (1).jpg)
183.2 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (PinkBunnyPlaysGolf clusterandneblula-darkoptimisedandlessstars - Version 2.jpg)
180.8 KB18 views
Old 17-10-2016, 10:54 AM
silv (Annette)

that's the Crap Nebula as captured by my crappy zoom lens at 150mm and cropped. 3x15 seconds on a broken, also crappy EQ5 and 3 darks.
Fun in 2012.
Old 17-10-2016, 04:37 PM
Wavytone

Well, I have messed with camera lenses before - at one point I had a 600mm f8 mirror lens mated to an Edmund RKE 28mm as a finder, and a Russian MTO 1000mm f10 similarly set up. Both had T rings to suit 42mm screw mounts.

The snag with both of these - and your camera lenses - is that the back focus distance is so short you'll find very few 1.25" eyepieces will reach focus by the time you have managed to get an eyepiece adapter on. With a star diagonal, very few eyepieces will fit.

The second problem is that old-school camera lenses are not diffraction-limited -not even close - the result being that at high magnification, looking at bright stars or planets is going to be rather disappointing.

Have fun...
Old 17-10-2016, 10:41 PM
silv (Annette)

but those are all mere assumptions, aren't they?

And in their intention simply demotivating.

So no factual knowledge plus demotivation.

hm.
Old 17-10-2016, 11:01 PM
silv (Annette)

The distance from lens end/T2-male-thread to getting focus at the end of a 20cm Plossl is roughly 8cm. With my lens.

And if it needed a longer light path there are focal correctors - by the way usually sold - or at least offered - with binoviewers, anyway. A bit like barlows.

If needed - I would probably be okay with 1.7.
That puts my "Mak" still in a very favourable fastness over "normal" Mak scopes.

No reply from Celestron-Germany yet.
Old 28-10-2016, 05:21 PM
silv (Annette)

never got a reply from Celestron-Germany. How odd... they're the same people as Baader here and Baader actually showed nice customer service in the past. Ah well. Who cares when Amazon has free returns on every order.

While I have by now figured out plan B to perfection (the binoviewer thingy with my existing 500/6.3 mirror lens),
today, I will receive two (used) 60mm Travelscopes to give plan A the last test.

I feel a little bit of joy, even. Pre-Joy or what do you call it? Anticipation.

The €90 I can totally justify. I estimate another ~€10 to get them securely fastened in an aligned position on the tripod.
Might even be sturdy enough to be transportable and not lose alignment.

If that works well I'll get a month supply of daily contact lenses for €20 to compensate for my eye's diopter difference.

And thus will have Xx60 binoculars with exchangeable eyepieces, filter threads and diopter compensation for €120 instead of €800.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:40 PM
jeelan (Jeelan)

How about using the objectives from a 60 or 70mm travelscope to create your own Binoscope?

Provided you calculated the focal length correctly, a 45* fixed mirror and 2 star diagonals, or three star diagonal joined correctly would give you an adjustable IPD that is independent of the distance between the objective barrels...

Below is a drawing from Cloudynights - one of the members made a "binobox"....

cheers
Jeelan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (post-7901-1407389422735.jpg)
93.5 KB17 views
Old 03-11-2016, 07:17 PM
silv (Annette)

oh! thank you for your suggestion!
I am going to find the original thread and try to understand what a bino box does.

I am stuck regarding alignment and fastening of the 2x 60 Travelscopes.
Alignment and getting 2 congruent images forming 1 image in my brain DOES work. And it really DOES look awesome!
That's the good news.
A damper on these news: I was unable to manually hold the scopes in that position long enough to look for any flaws which might still pop up.

The bad news is that I need some form of clamp to hold them together with rings for 1 scope that work like in a finder scope: with these little bolts for alignment, you know?
Off the shelf there are NO finder scope rings with a max outer diameter of below 70mm, my IDP.
Let alone a clamp to hold them together.
Celestron's famous lack of QA also produced 2 scopes with slightly different locations for their mounting plate. ... go figure...
So at least 1 scope would have to get 100% support from the holding-mechansim.

Last edited by silv; 03-11-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 PM
silv (Annette)

Sounds like a project for 3D modelling and printing, right.
3D printing with ABS because that is probably hard enough.
The most dubious part here would be the adjustment screws or rather the holes in the brackets and their threads.
3D printing is not good for fine threads.
And they would degrade over time, anyway.
A nut would have to be placed into the holes to guarantee firm threading for off-the-shelf bolts.

But: if I don't print it myself - who is going to insert the nut immediately after printing when the ABS is still warm enough and will snug tightly around the inserted nut?

Also I don't find a plan on thingiverse for such a clamp.
So I'd have to make one myself- and that means I'd have to really invest time and energy to get to know a 3D modelling software package.
Not a small feat, either, even though I'm good with computer stuff.

I've sent a PM to Meru (member of the forum who started to 3D print and offer prints in the Sales section) about this but he's no longer an active member.

I found a site where you can post a "Looking for-ad " for a 3D plan and print you need. A willing designer with a printer then picks up the ad and works with you on the project to the finish line.

But you have to include a price in the text and I have no idea what that should cost. I don't want to be unfair in the payment - but I can't afford much, either.
€100 is out of the question. I'd bee too close to the binoviewer setup cost with my 500/6.3 mirror lens that the 60mm bino would no longer be an advantage over that. (Or so I think. But what do I know...)

Just yesterday I decided to throw away my yearning for the stars and seriously think up a whole different hobby that would give me satisfaction and fun.

And now I'll have to - just have to - read up on the bino box thingy...

Last edited by silv; 03-11-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:30 PM
silv (Annette)

Could be a hit in the bino community, though, if the clamp ever sees the light of day.
Don't you think?

Buy 2 Travelscopes for 90€, get a clamp printed for, I dunno, 50€, put it on your average camera tripod with maybe a fluid head - and off you go, traveling through the stars... with filter threads and adjustable magnification, too.
(And a packet of contact lenses if you have a diopter difference like I do.)

Last edited by silv; 03-11-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:42 PM
silv (Annette)

bino box - ah!
yes, I came across the concept in my months-long research.
I discarded it as unfeasible for my non-existent DIY skills and tools.

So that's ticked off, too, now. Good.

I can go and look for a different hobby, now. And send back the 60mm scopes to AMazon.
Thank god for free returns here in Germany!
Old 09-09-2018, 01:08 AM
petertinkerer (Peter)

3D printed parts to make 70mm f5.7 binoscopes

Rather a late reply to your original post, but I think this is what you had in mind. The Celestron travel scope 70 objectives work well, even up to 60X with 3X barlows and the 20mm included eye pieces.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1808.JPG)
184.2 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1812.JPG)
180.9 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (70mm Astronomical  Binoculars 1.jpg)
85.0 KB25 views