Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-10-2014, 07:28 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Autoguiders ..

Trying to simplify my system, I'd rather be running just one PC than have a guide\control PC and an imaging PC. And getting guiding going each session has been an issue with camera connection, unstable software etc. So been looking at autoguider systems.

I've seen the Synguider, reports on it's efficiacy are not always positive. Orion Autoguider of course in both the mini and 80mm setups but that still needs a PC & Software.
My ZWO can guide but again uses a PC & Software besides which I have other plans for that in progress.

Then came across the LVI Smart Guider System V2. It is a bit dearer than the other systems but it also manages a DSLR camera for exposure and interval etc. And has a SONY connector option.
And focussing control for the guide scope is an option. Multimount capability.

It is touted as being an ideal solution for dark sites as it does not require the PC and therefore no battery power load. ( It uses it's own internal batteries or an small external battery (6-14v) @ 90-200 ma ). Small, it just hangs somewhere convenient on the scope

So just asking, is anyone using one of these or know of it's existence even and able to comment on it ?
Or any other suggestions on Autoguiding or other solutions ?

I'd love to be just able to turn something on, find a suitable star, calibrate and have it work 95% of the time. I'm having interminable problems with either the NexImage or the SPC900 and any software (PHD, PHD2 , Metaguide so far) with PC connections and 'can't find a camera' messages. Just for clarification, there are no USB ports between my PC's and the cameras, direct single high quality cables, longest is only 3 meters so hubs etc are not an issue.
My best result so far has been with the ZWO and Metaguide with a GPUSB > ST4 but even that has it's moments.
Old 15-10-2014, 08:46 AM
glend (Glen)

Brent when; was doing my research for my guiding system most of what I found suggested that a standalone autoguider system was a poor choice compared to a netbook screen for resolution etc. I too run a ZWO ASI guide camera, via Metagude but in my case I have ST4 port on the camera and just a simple USB2 cable from the netbook to the camera. It was the simplest most cost effective 'working' system I found and much more reliable and easy to use than PHD2. I believe you already have a good system compared to the alternatives you mentioned.
Old 15-10-2014, 10:05 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Cheers Glen, I confess to not having tried that combination but I want to use the ZWO for other (DSO) purposes so tends to rule that option out.
I could buy another ZWO I guess but this is a new product that gives some added capabilities for about the same price. The few reviews I have found from European forums mainly seem to give a pretty good rating.
Old 15-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Roger273 (Roger)

Hi Brent
I used the LVI smartguider 2 with an Orion short tube 80 for a while before I built my observatory, with reasonable success. I think the issues I had at the time were more to do with backlash than the LVI not doing it's job. I've still got it here, PM if interested in a second hand one.
Roger
Old 15-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

The NexImage is just too insensitive to be an effective guide camera. I tried it and gave up. I now use the ZWO ASI120MM, and have had zero issues.
Old 16-10-2014, 07:08 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
The NexImage is just too insensitive to be an effective guide camera. I tried it and gave up. I now use the ZWO ASI120MM, and have had zero issues.
That's about what I've figured. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy another one. Probably get the mono, then I can swap their roles and have a go at LRGB if the mood takes me. Piggy Bank is a bit short at present though.
And I'd need a filter wheel and filters .... $$$$

Never stops does it ?

Thanks ( anyone want to buy a NexImage SSI ? I need the $$$ )
Old 16-10-2014, 07:09 AM
SteveInNZ

I have the Orion Solitaire which is the Orion badged LVI. It's the same camera and guide controller as the LVI2 but doesn't have the extra camera control box. I just use a remote shutter release/intervalometer for that bit.

I used it with an ST80 too. It took a bit of messing around to get up and going with it (finding the focus point, framing, etc) but once you've got it going, it works OK. The main thing wrong with it is that it seems to attract clouds.

I'd offer to lend it to you but I need to put it and a few other things on Trademe. If it doesn't sell, you're welcome to borrow it. Of course, you can be in first if you want. Sorry about the timing. I just need to try and move a few things on.

Steve.
Old 16-10-2014, 08:56 AM
gbeal

Portable requirement or not?
If portable, I can't help you, and will see what you come up with as that's the way I would like to go, additionally.

If fixed (as in you are using an observatory, correct) then drive down SH1 sometime, come see what I do.
Simplicity in itself. I have a roll out pier, with desktop attached, and the scope(s) sort of permanently mounted. Guide-scope is a ZWO 60mm, and guide-camera is a Lodestar.

Slew to the object and hit guide (I use Maxim, but equally with PHD). I calibrated a while back, but since then I just start guiding straight off the bat. Maxim remembers the old calibrations.

Come take a look if you like, pick a good night, bring your camera.
Gary
Old 16-10-2014, 09:06 AM
glend (Glen)

Use a ASI130MM for guiding if your going to buy the mono ZWO, that's the one I use and it works very well - with Metaguide (). That way you can image with your colour ZWO.

The ZWO guidesope is also a good piece of gear bigger aperture than the Orion mini-guider, lighter weight, and it has a focuser.
Old 16-10-2014, 09:35 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Gary, not a portable requirement, just trying to simplify things without spending too much money. I really need some good guiding to make the Lunt work.
My grandkids are down Matamata way, might try and combine that into a trip down south. Cheers, I'll keep it in mind.

Glen, I'd be using my SW 80mm f5 as a guidescope and Metaguide. No intention to get the miniguider package. If I go that direction it would just be the Orion Guide Camera, about the same price as the ZWO. The 130 though doesn't have an ST4 output so I'd stick with the 120 mono and eliminate the GPUSB and another damn trailing cable

Just been reading reviews on the Synguider, another standalone option. Seems it needs getting used to but once you master the settings works quite well according to a number of users.
Any comments anyone.?
Old 16-10-2014, 11:45 AM
SteveInNZ

Synguider - Designed by someone that doesn't use a refractor or never points it at the zenith.
Old 16-10-2014, 01:29 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
Synguider - Designed by someone that doesn't use a refractor or never points it at the zenith.
Yeah, that was one complaint, that and a lack of warning when guiding was lost. But a diag fixes the first one, it can be made pretty rigid to minimise flexure. The second one I tend to stay in the OB anyway and check and scan the sky for meteors and use the binos. Open roof 'Man Cave' time so not a major.
Other than that do they work well ? Thats the real question.
One of those and an intervalometer for the SONY will get me where I want to be. Fingers Crossed.

The other choice may be to save the pennies a bit longer and get the ZWO ASI 120mm and filter set and holder. Direct from ZWO is not too bad a price although I need to figure exchange rate into it.
Old 16-10-2014, 01:39 PM
glend (Glen)

You can buy it through Alibaba Express, the Chinese ebay, they handle all that exchange stuff and ZWO has a store on that site. I have used them several times and no issues, delivery was pretty quick as well.
Old 16-10-2014, 07:02 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Yes, I got my 120mc direct from ZWO no problem. I'll have to see what I can flog off downstairs to get some $$$ together.
I have an alloy framed, carbon fibred fork racing bike I no longer use still in almost new condition. Prices are ****e for second hand bikes but it ain't going nowhere down there in the garage. time to get the camera out and get a piccie onto TradeMe.
I have another more robust bike I prefer to ride, handles street conditions better.