Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-01-2019, 10:53 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Does low cost have to mean rubbish

Why is it that i have very little faith in anything Chinese.

Yet All the scopes I own are from there?

The latest (I have 2) mounts I bought, 1 for my Sky Tee 2 head and another for the soon to arrive Solar tracking scope from Skywatcher are both rusty.

Whilst I appreciate that they are only £110 each, that is not cheap for a few bits of metal.

The feet actually fell off one, OVL the importers said (can you not stick them back on)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1050815.jpg)
59.6 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (P1050816.jpg)
57.7 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (P1050817.jpg)
45.5 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (P1050818.jpg)
53.9 KB48 views
Old 16-01-2019, 10:59 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Also I paid £75 PLUS postage for a rusty drainpipe from Skywatcher (pier extension), that i wanted to cut and use for my EQ5 legs

The rust goes all the way inside
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (b.jpg)
77.6 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (dd.jpg)
69.7 KB37 views
Old 16-01-2019, 11:18 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

That's Woeful .....
Old 16-01-2019, 11:24 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The HEQ5 extension I had was not rusty, but it surprised me to see and feel it was a cast iron pipe - none too light either. I am sure it would have rusted very quickly.
Old 16-01-2019, 11:24 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Who's to say these weren't damaged or stored improperly by the vendor rather than the manufacturer? Maybe that pier extension was in a damp warehouse before it was sold?
Old 17-01-2019, 12:05 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

That seems like terrible customer service to me, at the very least the vendor should replace the rusty pier extension and supply the glue to re-attach the tripod feet. Either that or get your money back and purchase from another vendor.
I'm assuming that the UK has similar consumer laws to Aust. and you are entitled to receive your purchased goods in new condition or have them replaced if not in acceptable condition.
Old 17-01-2019, 12:54 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
That seems like terrible customer service to me, at the very least the vendor should replace the rusty pier extension and supply the glue to re-attach the tripod feet. Either that or get your money back and purchase from another vendor.
I'm assuming that the UK has similar consumer laws to Aust. and you are entitled to receive your purchased goods in new condition or have them replaced if not in acceptable condition.
We have, problem is the hassle, I didn't notice the rust till I had cut the pipe, it was 2" in from the ends

I bough a SkyTee mount, it gave way with my 120 triplet on, the cause, the thread went in the head, the scope swung down and hit the mount separating the tube from the focusser.

I got a replacement head in 24 hours but they only offered me a new dew shield at "cost", trouble is that "familiarity breeds contempt"

I am friend with the retail outlet and whilst i could have easily fought it under the consumer rights act, it was not worth the upset, now fully flocked
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dsc_0120 (2018_05_26 16_42_15 UTC).jpg)
163.6 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (Dsc_0123 (2018_08_09 17_45_36 UTC).jpg)
82.9 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (P1050851 (2018_06_15 14_49_06 utc).jpg)
183.6 KB36 views
Old 17-01-2019, 07:52 AM
Wavytone

Most of the Chinese astro gear has been manufactured to satisfy a mass market where most scopes will be used barely a dozen times, often less - after which the owner will conclude its "all too difficult" and either sell it or put it away and forget it for the next 10 years.

This means products reduced to the lowest possible production cost and unfortunately that means poor quality material, dumb engineering and no attempt to make it look good beyond a coat of paint.

Put it another way... you won't get what you didn't pay for (quality, reliability).

Last edited by Wavytone; 17-01-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 17-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I can understand your dilemma because of your friendship with the retailer and not seeing the rusty extension until after having cut it, which would void any warranty. The thread in the SkyTee mount looks terrible, like it's been eaten by an acid, not a good look at all. Is the mount steel or aluminium, either way it should have been painted or anodised for protection. Possibly just a badly machined thread that escaped quality control, I suppose it could happen.
I own or have owned several Chinese scopes and mounts and lots of bits and pieces, overall I think the quality is quite good and I come from an engineering background. Have not noticed any manufacturing defects worth noting. Sure there are better products out there but as has been said before the Chinese gear is made to a price first, before quality and defects can slip through but it is unusual to get major problems.
Old 17-01-2019, 11:17 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Why is it that i have very little faith in anything Chinese.

Yet All the scopes I own are from there?

The latest (I have 2) mounts I bought, 1 for my Sky Tee 2 head and another for the soon to arrive Solar tracking scope from Skywatcher are both rusty.

Whilst I appreciate that they are only £110 each, that is not cheap for a few bits of metal.

The feet actually fell off one, OVL the importers said (can you not stick them back on)
They should stick them on with the famous ' Synta Glue/Grease ' that will ensure they never ! fall off .

Brian.
Old 17-01-2019, 01:12 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I purchased a new Meade LXD55 scope from the local Adelaide supplier some years ago and the main OTA was rusted where the screws were to attach the front corrector. I told the supplier and he went bunta at me and suggested it was my fault. Yeah sure my fault it was a "brand new scope"!! Needless to say he did nothing about it and I have since never been back and have let everyone I know how bad I was treated.
Old 17-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
I can understand your dilemma because of your friendship with the retailer and not seeing the rusty extension until after having cut it, which would void any warranty. The thread in the SkyTee mount looks terrible, like it's been eaten by an acid, not a good look at all. Is the mount steel or aluminium, either way it should have been painted or anodised for protection. Possibly just a badly machined thread that escaped quality control, I suppose it could happen.
I own or have owned several Chinese scopes and mounts and lots of bits and pieces, overall I think the quality is quite good and I come from an engineering background. Have not noticed any manufacturing defects worth noting. Sure there are better products out there but as has been said before the Chinese gear is made to a price first, before quality and defects can slip through but it is unusual to get major problems.

Mild steel