Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 01-04-2018, 04:49 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
The cube.

In an effort to build something very simple I came up with "the cube".
Just 6 sheets of form ply each 4 x 4 with a little framework.
The paint job is to make it less obvious from the street.
It will take a flat lid which I have yet to weather proof and hinge.
I intend to line it to help insulation qualities and install two solar exhaust fans.
The scope in the photo is an eight inch which fits in the position shown but would need a little more roof height if it sat in home position.
I have thought of a cardboard dome layered up in fibre glass but I have yet to design how it would fit with the door...but a cardboard dome would be very simple and I have the glass matt from boating days.
Everything can disassemble into 4 x4 sections to take bush one day.
I have not used it yet but I think it will work.

I will fit something to hold the lap top and maybe a bits and pieces box.

Here in Sydney it will be a big help given getting polar align is inhibited by the fact I cant see csp and now I can get it better without a new set up each night which really has not worked well at all.
However if you want a cheap observatory I think this approach could be managed by anyone as the sides come pre cut.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180401_161329-1.jpg)
179.2 KB203 views
Click for full-size image (20180401_161756-1.jpg)
178.9 KB182 views
Click for full-size image (20180401_161255-1.jpg)
181.7 KB163 views
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Lognic04's Avatar
Lognic04 (Logan)
Registered User

Lognic04 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 843
Wow great idea Alex!!! This would make AP a whole lot easier!! Would it be rain proof?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2018, 06:04 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
Wow great idea Alex!!! This would make AP a whole lot easier!! Would it be rain proof?
Thank you Logan.

When it is finished it will be absolutely weather proof.

It will probably float☺

For the present whilst I work out a roof I will throw a tarp over it all which one could do on a permanent basis really.

My goal is to make it remote and take it up North when I move up there again.

I will set it up about 400 meters from the house up there on a nice little hill top and control it from the house.

I have most of it worked out I just need a couple of windscreen wipper motors and some counter weights for the roof (lid).
I want to make it simple yet functional so others may make use of the idea.

But for now it allows me to set up and leave everything which will be a big step forward.

Because I am old and near cripple set up is a big deal for me so hopefully I will be able to devote my energy to captures rather than set up.
The 8 inch seems to fit for the sky I can see but if not the 80 mm or the future 100 mm will be perfect...
Thanks again.

Alex
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Lognic04's Avatar
Lognic04 (Logan)
Registered User

Lognic04 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thank you Logan.

When it is finished it will be absolutely weather proof.

It will probably float☺

For the present whilst I work out a roof I will throw a tarp over it all which one could do on a permanent basis really.

My goal is to make it remote and take it up North when I move up there again.

I will set it up about 400 meters from the house up there on a nice little hill top and control it from the house.

I have most of it worked out I just need a couple of windscreen wipper motors and some counter weights for the roof (lid).
I want to make it simple yet functional so others may make use of the idea.

But for now it allows me to set up and leave everything which will be a big step forward.

Because I am old and near cripple set up is a big deal for me so hopefully I will be able to devote my energy to captures rather than set up.
The 8 inch seems to fit for the sky I can see but if not the 80 mm or the future 100 mm will be perfect...
Thanks again.

Alex
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2018, 04:58 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
I have worked out the roof.
It will open like a book with a curtain at the rear to hide the street light.
The ridge cap is held together with fiber glass and with be attached to one "door" or "page".
The gap at the front (and back will be covered but double as a vent.
Two computer fans hooked to the solar panel hopefully will keep it cool on hot days.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180409_164703-1-1.jpg)
139.6 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (20180409_164651-1-1.jpg)
147.7 KB84 views
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2018, 10:23 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
Screwed down the hinges, I put them in place with contact cement to make sure as there were three a side that they lined up well.
Sanded the ridge cap and painted it so all going well.
As I said I will have a curtain at the back to shield the street light and a little from houses across the street. But as you can see its well treed here which shields a great deal of house light.
Next have to fit a counter weight arm so the "pages" can be openned with a motor.
Not sure what to use for motors yet.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180410_101220-1-1.jpg)
216.4 KB87 views
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2018, 11:27 AM
leon's Avatar
leon
Registered User

leon is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ballarat
Posts: 10,709
Well Alex that is different, but very workable i expect, good on ya mate, for a great effort.
Just one thing is it fixed at the floor level somehow so the wind wont catch it ?

Leon
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Baza (Barry)
Registered User

Baza is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Heathcote NSW
Posts: 82
Have you considered a small 4*4 winch, electric in & out, 12 volt?
under $150 on ebay and no need to counterweight the roof.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2018, 01:57 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Well Alex that is different, but very workable i expect, good on ya mate, for a great effort.
Just one thing is it fixed at the floor level somehow so the wind wont catch it ?

Leon
Not fixed Leon maybe later but I am in a little valley and its rare to get more than a breeze.

Alex
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-04-2018, 02:03 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baza View Post
Have you considered a small 4*4 winch, electric in & out, 12 volt?
under $150 on ebay and no need to counterweight the roof.
Yes in fact I nearly went to Super Cheap Auto who had one at $150 last Sunday.
Its a little over kill but at least the motor is already geared and has controls...I will probably go that way...I had one for my roll away observatory years ago but lost it when my boat sank not that the observatory was on the boat but the winch was. ..

Working on the counter weight or lever set up now and have figured out a very simple set up which will take motors later.

Alex
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-04-2018, 06:29 AM
SimmoW's Avatar
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

SimmoW is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tamleugh, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,315
Nice different setup Alex, watching closely as I'm about to do mine soon. Good idea 're the winch!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-04-2018, 06:56 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
Thank you Simon.
A tip I meant to include earlier re fiber glass.
When you use fiber glass matt and resin you get a rippled surface which takes ages to sand if you require a smooth surface.
(I used fiber glass to join the two pieces of ply to make the ridge cap)
So what you do is lay your matt and resin and the cover with nice paper..I use the garden variety a4.
Gently press the paper onto the still uncured (wet) resin so it becomes impregnated with the resin...you end up with a nice flat finish ...make sure the paper is soaked...but once impregnated it aint paper no more☺
I make many things in cardboard and paper and then add resin to make them plastic...quik easy and efficient.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-04-2018, 07:27 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
A con for this approach is that you may not get objects close to the horizon.
That is of no concern here as I have limited sky but probably set up your gear and put up stakes and string to see how restricted it may be.
Also for me I find my reflector scopes prefer being close to vertical as balance is easier.
Although more complex a size of 5 x 5 x 4 may be a little better.
I can move ok in this cube but an extra foot would be handy.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17-04-2018, 04:01 PM
baileys2611's Avatar
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

baileys2611 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Murrumbateman
Posts: 337
I noticed you mentioned fans connected to a solar cell. I use a couple of these on my obs - they work day and night and need no maintenance from me

https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/s...b1737/dp/20342

You can also get them with solar cells separated from the extractor fan.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Regulus's Avatar
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Regulus is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Devonport, Tasmania
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I have worked out the roof.
It will open like a book with a curtain at the rear to hide the street light.
The ridge cap is held together with fiber glass and with be attached to one "door" or "page".
The gap at the front (and back will be covered but double as a vent.
Two computer fans hooked to the solar panel hopefully will keep it cool on hot days.
Alex
Cool idea Alex, and looks good.
Thinking if the roof folds back right with a 'flop out' support that rests on the side wall, you have you laptop table.
You could even mount a series of ep holders on the underside that makes them available when open to load you eps into.
Look forward to it's first light report.

Trev
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17-04-2018, 09:34 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileys2611 View Post
I noticed you mentioned fans connected to a solar cell. I use a couple of these on my obs - they work day and night and need no maintenance from me

https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/s...b1737/dp/20342

You can also get them with solar cells separated from the extractor fan.
Thanks for the link.
I probably will use some large computer fans cause they are cheap...and just run them off the battery which is charged by the solar panel as thr draw should let them run non stop but a shut off for night time would be good in the circuit...but my regulator stops things if too much draw.
I see other talking about dehumidifiers so maybe I should rethink this aspect and run one on a timer off mains seeing its in Sydney and I get fancy grid electricity.
In the bush it may not be more than computer fans.
Thanks again I may have a look at what you suggest at a boat shop.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17-04-2018, 09:35 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Cool idea Alex, and looks good.
Thinking if the roof folds back right with a 'flop out' support that rests on the side wall, you have you laptop table.
You could even mount a series of ep holders on the underside that makes them available when open to load you eps into.
Look forward to it's first light report.

Trev
Thanks Trev.
Your ideas are great I had not thought along those lines.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 18-04-2018, 07:39 AM
bojan's Avatar
bojan
amateur

bojan is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mt Waverley, VIC
Posts: 5,690
Very nice!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18-04-2018, 06:00 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Very nice!
Thanks Bojan.
This is what I was suggesting you try while getting your dome completed.
Bunnings had the 4 x 4 so that some square pine 50 mm approx and by using those self drilling hex bolts it went pretty quick.
The lid took a little time but that is because I made the pier a little to tall as the lid was going to be just one 4 x 4 sheet.
The door is simple enough as well.
Painting as always is a pain although the painted pre-assembled panels drew a favourable comment from my neighbour who said "I really like your art work"...I had to tell him it was just cammmo and panels for an observatory box however.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 24-04-2018, 08:23 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 11,974
I picked up two nice little fans yesterday and I am very happy to find the little solar panels I took from the fish pond runs it nicely.
It has me thinking I may hook the fan in the f5 eight inch which is set up in the cube into the circuit so it can lose a little heat during the day.
I pulled a peltie device from a cooler that was going to the tip and will test it to see if I can get any cooling using a small panel...it draws probably 40 watts but maybe can help with a much lesser current...its such a nice unit I have to work it in someplace☺
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180424_080705-1.jpg)
188.9 KB35 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 24-04-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement