Old 26-10-2018, 01:33 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Vixen SLV

After opinions on the SLV’s 12 10 9 6 and 5 mm. I’m after long ER for use in a TEC turret. Recently sold my UO Ortho collection and the SLV’s are likely replacements.

Targets are Planets and double stars.

If anyone has used the WO 1.6 OCS from binoviewers on the 9mm I’d like to know how that works, as it gives the equivalent of 7.5mm.

Once upon a time I owned the 9mm NLV which I thought was excellent...so if the others as good that’s a big plus for me.

Matt
Old 26-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Wavytone

I have SLV and SSW in my TEC turret. The SLV are a tad better than the LV (still have a few) and NLV series, I think the coatings are better, transmission is better and less ghosting etc on bright targets. The SSW are very very good too, with 82 degree field, but I actually prefer the smaller field of the SLV when looking at dim small objects.

Only thing to note is the SLV barrels are smooth polished and have no undercuts, and the screws in the turret aren't the most positive, so they can slip out.

My solution to this was to unscrew the barrels, and give them a satin finish with 900 wet & dry sandpaper (do this wet). This gave a much better grip and they wont slide out.
Old 26-10-2018, 04:41 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Thanks Nick,
Good to know about ghosting. I have a full set of Morpheus, which has a slightly annoying reflection from the retina in the shorter fl’s. This was a non issue with the Orthos. The Morpheus are too big to use in the turret.

Seems the SLV’s are a bit better than the predecessor NLV and LV.

Just wish there wasn’t a big gap from 9 to 6mm, the SSW’s aren’t cheap.
Old 26-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Wavytone

The other aspect is what sort of scope... the Vixen eyepieces suit refractors, whereas Televues all are intended for fast newtonians (dobs).
The reason is the field curvature of refractors is convex towards the eye, whereas for newtonians its concave.
In Japan smallish refractors dominate the market, while in the US its mostly big dobs or SCT's.
Old 26-10-2018, 08:10 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Scope is 6” f12 Refractor, often stopped down to 120mm f15.

Have seen the scope/eyepiece combination for myself and agree some suite refractors and some suite other scopes....only used Newtonian scopes.

Morpheus suite refractors, mine at least
Old 26-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Wavytone

Awesome combination !

I agree there are a few gaps in focal lengths - like 6 ... 9mm - regardless of which ones you look at.

What I found with my scope - mk91, f/13 - on the planets there’s a real sweet spot in the range 9-14mm depending on how bright it is, and hence I’ve now ended up with 7(SSW), 9 (SLV) 10(SSW) 12 (SLV), 14(SSW) and 15(SLV) so i can choose the optimum magnification. Field of view is pretty much irrelevant except for the 14SSW which is my favourite for galaxies.

This however depends on focal ratio... SCT owners have the same challenge in the range 7...10mm, and fast Newtonians 3...7mm

But looking at that lot I should have bought a 8-24 zoom.

Last edited by Wavytone; 26-10-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 27-10-2018, 09:08 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The Vixen zoom is surprisingly good in refractors.

I tried many TV eps in my refractors - didn’t like any. The NLVs, Tak LEs, Masuyamas and Parks GS all have a much sharper pinpoint image for the reasons Nick points out. The TV glass grenades I found particularly disappointing.
Old 28-10-2018, 05:58 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Zooms.....https://www.myastroshop.com.au/produ...sp?id=MAS-014J

Now considering this one. Only a few $ more than a single SLV which seem to go up in price every time I look, now at $185 each.

Have a good 2x Barlow too.
Old 28-10-2018, 06:47 AM
Wavytone

Yup that’s the one... they’re out of production now so congrats on finding one. The only better one is made by Leica and costs a lot more.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:53 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Zooms.....https://www.myastroshop.com.au/produ...sp?id=MAS-014J

Now considering this one.
I have one of these. My Lovely Wife bought it in Japan last time she was there. It is my favourite, clearest EP (though 3 certain Starguider EDs are good too )

I don't have enough experience in this game to act as an authorative reviewer sorry. I can say however, I'd happily buy the Vixen Zoom again.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:58 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The Vixen zooms I have had have all been better than any TV EP I have used.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:55 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Years ago I had the old Tele Vue 8-24mm which was made by Vixen, I believe. It was good but the image got soft at the 8mm setting. Hopefully they've improved since then because today's zooms seem to be pretty sharp at all focal lengths (at least all of mine are!)
Old 02-11-2018, 08:46 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Nick,
Have you tried the Pentax Zoom?
I find it very, very good. Used for solar observing.