Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 22-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

This one is a definite on the "to do" list. Got to give it a go with the 80mm scope now I have modified it... You image looks terrific Paul, can just see that blueish stuff around the star, any dew around during those exposures? Like the detail you have in the galaxies also... Would love to get a pic with the tidal tail one day...
Old 23-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I've been a bit busy with work and missed this one....

Aye currumba.... wish I'd taken it.... simply excellent
Thanks Pete, high praise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
This one is a definite on the "to do" list. Got to give it a go with the 80mm scope now I have modified it... You image looks terrific Paul, can just see that blueish stuff around the star, any dew around during those exposures? Like the detail you have in the galaxies also... Would love to get a pic with the tidal tail one day...
No dew Andrew. Graeme said he had the same problem when he imaged this too. I think next session I will just get more Lum data and see if I can get all the tidal tail, just to complete the data mix.
Old 23-04-2013, 11:55 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Do you think it needs more time to make that possible though Marcus? Or perhaps deeper subs?
I can't be sure, but I think the data might already be there - I haven't actually looked myself. In photoshop use the Equalize function to identify where the dim extents are and then use Jay Gabeny's LCS technique.

http://www.cosmotography.com/images/...stretching.pdf

Of course, as with most processing, extreme stretching of faint extents is a personal taste thing and will depend on how well you can mitigate noise and keep it looking "natural".

Make no mistake Paul, I reckon this is already a hum dinger of an image!

Cheers, Marcus
Old 23-04-2013, 02:06 PM
A23649 (Nathan)
I've told you once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
I can't be sure, but I think the data might already be there - I haven't actually looked myself. In photoshop use the Equalize function to identify where the dim extents are and then use Jay Gabeny's LCS technique.

Of course, as with most processing, extreme stretching of faint extents is a personal taste thing and will depend on how well you can mitigate noise and keep it looking "natural".

Cheers, Marcus
I did a quick extreme stretch of the JPEG and it is certainly there. I then did a bit more fiddling to keep Paul's original colours and (I hope) contrast.

Cheers,
Nathan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (leo ISS copy.jpg)
150.7 KB29 views
Old 23-04-2013, 05:14 PM
gregbradley

A remarkable image Paul. I was surprised to see it was taken with the TSA102. I assumed it must have been taken with your 12 inch RC.

Greg.
Old 23-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post

Cheers, Marcus
Interesting. I forgot I had read about this at some point in Sky and Telescope several months ago. Thanks for the reminder. I did some work and now the link had an image with this technique applied to it. I can see the tidal stream much easier now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A remarkable image Paul. I was surprised to see it was taken with the TSA102. I assumed it must have been taken with your 12 inch RC.

Greg.
Yeah the TSA can produce the goods. The 12" RC would produce a much bigger image, but I think the roof of my observatory cuts down the light considerably on the 12. I want to give M104 a go with the RC12 though. I am yet to produce an image of that target and the 12" would be perfect for the job.
Old 25-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Excellent shot Paul. Great colour. I agree with Marcus that there may be some more detail lurking there with a bit of a push.
Geoff
Note added: I gave it a bit of a stretch and there is a distinct star trail going down from the hamburger.
Old 25-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Carl

Leo triplet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I've been a bit busy with work and missed this one....

Aye currumba.... wish I'd taken it.... simply excellent
Great resolution of detail there paul. Another great shot

Carl
Old 26-04-2013, 10:46 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

An amazing image.
It will be interesting to see how much more you'll pull out of the back ground with more data.
Old 26-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Paul Haese

Thanks all for the comments.

JJJ I might just do another 4 hours on the lum and see what that gives me.
Old 26-04-2013, 06:29 PM
naskies (Dave)

Looks great, Paul! If I may ask... I noticed that your blue exposures are longer than the red/green exposures. Is that to compensate for atmospheric extinction given the low altitude of the target?
Old 26-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Paul Haese

Thanks Dave, Yes that is mostly the reason for the longer exposure. I have been doing this for a while with the blue being longer. At one point I was doing 20 minute subs in blue and 15 minutes in each of the green and red. I found I was loosing star colour at that length and dropped down to 10 and 5 minutes respectively. I am now thinging 15 and 10 are the go. When I have full automation going I will the software deal with the length of time.