Old 14-12-2008, 08:19 PM
TrevorW

cAMERA LENS AS A GUIDE SCOPE

Mogg Adaptors sells an adapter for attaching a guide camera directly to a camera lens so you can use the lens as a guide scope. I've a 300mm zoom lens which I can use has anyone tried this

Cheers
Old 14-12-2008, 10:38 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

provided you can focus it, and you're sure the zoom wont "slip" backwards, then yes, you could use that for sure...

I've seen it done, but have never had the need to do it myself.

Cheers.
Alex.
Old 15-12-2008, 07:46 AM
gbeal

There was a thread on this sort of topic a few weeks ago. Same answer from me, try it. You may need to tape the focus and zoom so it doesn't slip/move as Alex pointed out.
I used a normal 8x50 finder-scope minus the eyepiece for a guide-scope, worked a treat. SBIG sold a similar system, called the "e-finder".
Gary
Old 15-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Craig_L
Craig

Tried this with the Canon 300 zoom and a Mog adaptor. Murder to focus. And even taping it didn't help all that much. I'm sure a good quality 300ml lens with a nice focus ring would work, but the cheap Canon that came with the 400D didn't. Everything moves. Never could get the guiding with PHD consistent until I bought a proper guide scope with nice focus.
Old 15-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Interesting plan, should work with a 80/120mm refractor. Personally, I have found focus on the guide scope not too important, so long as it doesnt shift. Thats important, make sure the mounting, focus and zoom ring are taped/bolted down hard, any movement or flexure at all will kill the idea stone dead.