Old 06-11-2016, 02:26 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Off axis guiding solution

I have had some issues with setting up off axis guiding. Main problem appears to be thatusing the Atik One camera along with the OAG kit, which includes an Atik GP camera for guiding, seems to cause issues with software not recognising which camera is which. The GP camera is operated via an integrated USB hub on the main camera.
It appears that when I try to do anything with either camera after connecting them, it leads to strange effects. The other day I tried switching the guide camera to 2x2 binning to try and increase it's sensitivity and get more guide star candidates, and then found that the cooling on the main camera had been switched off! So I am finding that if I want to tweak things I have to switch off both cameras, power them down and then reconnect and start again, which usually involves resetting cooling which is a PITA.
I have a couple of solutions in mind:
1) Replace the GP guide camera with my Orion SSAG pro (QHY5L II clone i believe). Thanks to Bo I have an adapter which should allow me to connect it to the OAG assembly. Prob I have is that I have to remove the front part of the camera which has the glass screen so I can get enough back focus (the GP camera has only 7mm)which removes the glass plate over the sensor. Not sure if that is an issue?
2) Re install all the ASCOM drivers for both cameras with the latest ones from the ATIK website. I installed originally from the disc that came with the camera.

Malcolm
Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 PM
billdan (Bill)

Unusual problem, keep your fingers crossed and hope that the latest ASCOM drivers are OK. Otherwise email Atik and tell them the issue.

It would be risky using the other camera with the glass cover removed, over time the CCD chip and PCB tracks will corrode and eventually stop working.

You could also try separate USB cables and ignore the onboard camera hub.

Cheers
Bill