Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 21-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Matt Wastell (Matt)
Look up, look good!

Looking forward to the Total Lunar Eclipse, 8th October 2014

Hello all
I am looking forward to the Lunar Eclipse in just over a month - I have probably just jinxed it now!
I plan to do some imaging - unfortunately my set up has to be the larger LX90 & Nikon - I would prefer to use the smaller 60mm Tak but my DMK31 is a the mono version and I will miss the colour! Any second hand DBK 31's out there?
Anyone else planning to view?
Old 21-08-2014, 09:23 PM
StephenM (Stephen)

Yes, I'll be out there Matt! I'm thinking of putting together a very wide angle series this time... Have been thinking about good locations for a few weeks now. Lets hope the weather cooperates like the last one!
Old 30-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Mark Johnston (Mark Johnston)

Lunar eclipse and DSLRs

I was quite happy with my Canon DSLR on the Meade for the last one. They work quite well for eclipses. Should be even better now I have the Canon software.

Mark
Old 30-08-2014, 02:33 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

+1 never imaged a total only partial.
Old 17-09-2014, 12:38 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

I will be certainly have my new Canon 700D out for this one & inviting a few folks to join me in Cairns for a viewing night :-)
Old 18-09-2014, 07:50 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaa_ian View Post
I will be certainly have my new Canon 700D out for this one & inviting a few folks to join me in Cairns for a viewing night :-)
Aah - an eclipse in Cairns. Brings back great memories.
Old 20-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Duniac (Chris Merritt)

This will be my second photographed lunar eclipse. I have the opportunity to use a Canon EF 500mm f4.0 on my Canon 7d, with the crop factor this will be the equivalent of 800mm. I don't think this will be a problem as I have a very solid tripod.

Should I also use a Canon 1.4x extender on this lens? This would produce an equivalent focal length of 1120mm, however I would loose an f-stop. So my question is, would this be a better setup to use the extender?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 29-09-2014, 10:57 AM
h0ughy (David)

Just over a week out now and looking a the weather predictions you wouldn’t believe it, brilliant weather leading up to it and after but the day of – not so pretty. I am hoping that things change for the better. One thing I didn’t take into account was daylight savings in NSW – it comes into effect this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (weather.jpg)
199.8 KB76 views
Old 29-09-2014, 12:40 PM
PeterEde (Peter)
Prince Planet

Think I'll set up down the river. Nice clear view to the Adelaide hills.
Must buy new batts.
Old 29-09-2014, 12:49 PM
PeterEde (Peter)
Prince Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duniac View Post
This will be my second photographed lunar eclipse. I have the opportunity to use a Canon EF 500mm f4.0 on my Canon 7d, with the crop factor this will be the equivalent of 800mm. I don't think this will be a problem as I have a very solid tripod.

Should I also use a Canon 1.4x extender on this lens? This would produce an equivalent focal length of 1120mm, however I would loose an f-stop. So my question is, would this be a better setup to use the extender?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
If you understand this already please ignore. Just seen a lot of people get caught in this myth.

Crop factor magnification is a furphy. It's an illusion. Nothing can increase the focal length of a lens.
What crop does is actually reduce the FOV of your lens compared with fullframe.
So you are actually getting less use of your EF lens.
It's what some less reputable camera people use to sell crop frame cameras.

example
http://digital-photography-school.co...rop-factor.jpg

RE the 1.4 tele. Go for it. Before getting my telescope I used my 100-400 + 1.4 tele on manfrotto tripod. Remember you'll want shutter up around 1/1000th or better. Which will mean ISO800 +
Is the lens IS?
Old 30-09-2014, 12:46 PM
DaveGee (Dave Gault)
Occultation Observer

Lunar Occultations during Lunar Eclipse

The umbral-limb will occult two bright(ish) stars (SAO109533 and SAO 109563) and both the disappearance and reappearance events for both stars may well be observable from your location - it is for Sydney. In fact the reappearance of the first star and the disappearance of the second star will be during totality from all locations.

Observation timings for any events are, and Australian observers should send their reports to me at
(d a v e g a u l t{remove the spaces}@bigpond.com) and New Zealanders should send their reports to Brian Loader (moonocc@gmail.com)

Happy Lunar-ticking...!
DaveGault

P.S. Dave Herald writes...
Uranus is located quite close to the moon during this eclipse. In fact, if you were located in eastern Russia, China, or northern Greenland, you could observe an occultation of Uranus during totality. For observers in Australia/New Zealand, Uranus will be located about 1.5 deg south of the moon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20141008_LunarOccultationOfUranus.png)
26.7 KB73 views
Old 30-09-2014, 02:28 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Thanks for the information Dave.
I will be doing a public night for the eclipse and will certainly be looking for Uranus, so close to the moon !
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post
In fact, if you were located in eastern Russia, China, or northern Greenland, you could observe an occultation of Uranus during totality. For observers in Australia/New Zealand, Uranus will be located about 1.5 deg south of the moon.
The Moon will also occult Uranus for parts of Hokkaido, Japan according to the map in your post. This would greatly increase the odds of someone taking some pretty neat pictures of a deep red Moon eclipsing a pale blue Uranus. How cool is that.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM
h0ughy (David)

wow looking at the forecasts i might have to entertain the idea of travelling again to get the whole event in. might be another travel tuesday to image wednesday job

intersting i didnt realise how close uranus is to the moon - but then isnt that what mooning is always about
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (weather2.jpg)
196.1 KB29 views
Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEde View Post
If you understand this already please ignore. Just seen a lot of people get caught in this myth.
Sorry, but I'm one of those who do not understand this. Could be because I'm not a reputable camera dealer cause I'm not a camera dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEde View Post
Crop factor magnification is a furphy. It's an illusion. Nothing can increase the focal length of a lens.
What crop does is actually reduce the FOV of your lens compared with fullframe.
So you are actually getting less use of your EF lens.
It's what some less reputable camera people use to sell crop frame cameras.
Looking at the magnification issue alone, isn't that a bit like saying "by using a 24mm eyepiece you are getting less use of your scope than with a 32mm EP"? I think when comparing full frame with smaller sensors, a change in magnification in the final image is anything but an illusion in the vast majority of cases. In fact, only when the number of pixels per area unit - the pixel density - on both sensors is exactly the same does the "illusion" argument apply. Good luck finding a FF camera with the 7d's pixel density. You'd be looking for a body pushing 30MP. Hardly a practical comparison.

APSC (or "crop") sensors tend to have smaller pixels than full frame sensors. Smaller pixels resolve finer detail (provided the lens used is sufficiently sharp, and that can be a real bottleneck). So if the optics are good AND there is sufficient light reaching the sensor, I'm not convinced that the 7d will not resolve finer detail than most FF cameras available to mortals today - at the same focal length. I call that higher magnification of a given feature because of the crop sensor. Not because crop sensors are smaller, but because they have a higher pixel density. For an eclipse specifically, it stands to reason a crop sensor is actually the better choice over full frame plus x1.4 extender using the same lens. The extender slows the lens down & introduces extra glass, the smaller sensor may introduce more image noise at the same ISO setting, but doesn't need the same setting because of the faster f ratio.

However, I do agree that saying the magnification factor of APSC sensors is at x1.6 is a bit misleading and only applies when looking at the photo as a whole, not the features in the photo. Most of the time, the factor is something other than 1.6. For instance comparing the 7d with, say, the 6d, it would be around x1.5 I expect. That's the ratio of the respective pixel sizes (6.54µm:4.3µm). I also agree that crop sensors aren't always desirable in the field due to higher image noise in low light and, yes, magnified lens aberrations.

Bottom line: Go for it Duniac, the 7d does magnify , it will not disappoint, and it's certainly no worse for this purpose than most full frame cameras.

Other thoughts appreciated.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:29 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

I too am getting really excited about this one. Using sparkocam and Oovoo i managed to live stream the moon yesterday in near HD to two friends in Brisbane...my two astro friends in england are super keen to see my stream now on eclipse night! Brisbane weather is looking clear too

RE crop sensor, an APS-C sensor is physically smaller than full frame. Hence you are only sampling a 40% fraction of the image circle produced by the lens, whereas a full frame sensor samples the entire image circle.

Hence you have an effective magnification of 1.6x a full frame sensor. The bulk magnification comes from the lens focal length eg 500mm = 50x.

A full frame sensor is 36x24mm.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:26 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkara4 View Post
RE crop sensor, an APS-C sensor is physically smaller than full frame. Hence you are only sampling a 40% fraction of the image circle produced by the lens, whereas a full frame sensor samples the entire image circle.

Hence you have an effective magnification of 1.6x a full frame sensor. The bulk magnification comes from the lens focal length eg 500mm = 50x.

A full frame sensor is 36x24mm.
The APS-C crop factor varies by brand. For Canon it's 1.6. For Nikon and Sony it's 1.5

I've got a couple of Sony APS-C bodies (a200 and a77) and a full-frame a7s. The only lens I have that is 100% full-frame compatible is a Sigma 150-500 and switching the a7s between APS-C and FF mode makes a dramatic difference to the FOV. Now comes the wait for a larger range of FF E-mount lenses.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:46 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
The APS-C crop factor varies by brand. For Canon it's 1.6. For Nikon and Sony it's 1.5

I've got a couple of Sony APS-C bodies (a200 and a77) and a full-frame a7s. The only lens I have that is 100% full-frame compatible is a Sigma 150-500 and switching the a7s between APS-C and FF mode makes a dramatic difference to the FOV. Now comes the wait for a larger range of FF E-mount lenses.
Yep sorry completely forgot to write that I assumed i was talking about Canon!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Article about this Wednesday's October 8 Lunar Eclipse

http://www.joe-cali.com/eclipses/PLA...008/index.html
Old 04-10-2014, 07:35 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Typical!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Capture.JPG)
32.0 KB37 views