Old 29-08-2008, 08:33 AM
keppar (Graham)

autoguiding

Hi am new to astrology and need to find out a bit about auto guiding. If I purchase an orion autoguider can this plug into a DSLR ( canon 40D) connected to a megrez90, then to a laptop. Do I still need a guide scope ?
Thanks
Old 29-08-2008, 08:47 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppar View Post
Hi am new to astrology and need to find out a bit about auto guiding. If I purchase an orion autoguider can this plug into a DSLR ( canon 40D) connected to a megrez90, then to a laptop. Do I still need a guide scope ?
Thanks
well if your new to astrology I bet you didnt predict this response........you need a guide scope. I have had not much luck with off axis guiders, as finding a guide star is near impossible sometimes - try the 80mm short tube orion from bintel and a extension piece to get focus when using a toucam or a dedicated imaging/guide camera like the orion one they also have. or doa search on the site for guide cameras - heap of info to wade through
Old 29-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Very funny Houghy! that got me! LOL
Hi Keppar, Like what Houghy says, you will need a guidescope to put your Orion autoguider on unless you want to use a off axis guider, but using a megrez90 this might be a real hassle. You would be better off with a guidescope and imaging scope in a side by side arrangement. Don`t forget your mount has to have a guide port also..
cheers
Old 29-08-2008, 01:33 PM
keppar (Graham)

Thanks fellas One more would a HEQ5 mount be big enough for Megrez90 + guide scope and DSLR camera or going to a HEQ6 pro be a better option
Old 29-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Ian Robinson

No.

You will need either an OAG or a guidescope.

An OAG is better.

If you are new to stargazing , best to start off simple as possible and do widefields (fixed and then unguided imaging with a fast 50mm diam lens , 50mm is ideal .... buy your astrofilters as 50mm versions or dropins ... $ saving tip ... can save lots of $ by prudent selection of filters and smart sizing ) initially , and as you get the hang of getting the images right (and processing) and build up the extras like LP and UHC and HA filters and the like , then move to manually guided imaging using a 100 mm perhaps a 200 or 300mm telephoto or zoom).

A good mount wont need much manual correction of it is properly balanced and polar aligned adequately and will be even better if it has PEC.

Then as you become more ambitious , move to prime focus guided imaging , where you will need excellent guiding either manual or auto and excellent tracking to avoid eggies or to track and image non-stellars like the fainter planets or comets.

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 29-08-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 29-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppar View Post
Thanks fellas One more would a HEQ5 mount be big enough for Megrez90 + guide scope and DSLR camera or going to a HEQ6 pro be a better option
The more capable HEQ6 would be the way to go. Not sure if you really need the Pro version at this stage , it can I believe be retrofitted relatively easily later.

Depends on how much pocket money you have.

Both are budget mounts and have budget performance.
Old 29-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Phil
Phil H

If you use the Orion auto guider you can put a E-Finder on it from Sbig.
this is what i us and have found it a great set-up. Then you just put the guide camera on top of your imaging scope with a small pair if guide rings. Make the hole set-up lighter to.
Phil
Old 29-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
If you use the Orion auto guider you can put a E-Finder on it from Sbig.
this is what i us and have found it a great set-up. Then you just put the guide camera on top of your imaging scope with a small pair if guide rings. Make the hole set-up lighter to.
Phil
http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/.../html/7315.htm

looks like a handy bit of astrokit .... once you know the micrometric setting for focusing for your scope and the terminal gear - camera or guider or eyepiece even, you can dial up the setting being darned close to perfect focus without having to eyeball it.