Old 25-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Tripod Extension DIY

The new scope is somewhat longer than my other ones so the Takahashi EM400 tripod needed a little more height for the scope to clear the legs......

After an hour on the lathe, a half metre of solid 30mm Ø aluminium became 6 pieces at 70mm which were then bored through for 8mm cap screws.... then onto the spin polisher for a bit of bling

The tripod adapter was chucked on the lathe next and a 3mm flange became a pile of shiny shavings on the floor....

After a few minutes bolting it together the scope clears the tripod legs with room to spare

The OTA also received a new carbon fibre handle to make the thing more manageable
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MIS_7661.jpg)
107.0 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (MIS_7662.jpg)
121.3 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (MIS_7663.jpg)
108.9 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (MIS_7657.jpg)
127.8 KB35 views

Last edited by Rainmaker; 25-10-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 25-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Wilso

Nice one Matt
Pristine as always.

Can you do an offset spacer behind the saddle and mount in lieu of under the mount?
The reason I’m asking is I would like to do that to my Pm-1 mount to clear the fork to give greater clearance for the scope. Im only talking 20-25mm though. A small extra counter weight would be required also to offset.

Would this work?
Old 25-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
Nice one Matt
Pristine as always.

Can you do an offset spacer behind the saddle and mount in lieu of under the mount?
The reason I’m asking is I would like to do that to my Pm-1 mount to clear the fork to give greater clearance for the scope. Im only talking 20-25mm though. A small extra counter weight would be required also to offset.

Would this work?
That would certainly work, I actually moved the OTA out 25mm by placing riser blocks between the dovetail bar and rings but still needed more clearance so added these stilts....

You can just make out the polished ends of the risers in the pic with the handle...