Old 23-03-2016, 04:28 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

What else do I need...?

Hi folks

I've got a second hand Orion ED80 on its way to me (one of these), should have it next week, and hoping to pick up an NEQ6 mount around the same time. Excited! I'm planning to put an entry-level Nikon DSLR on there and start my long, often frustrating, hopefully rewarding journey into AP.

The OTA comes with tube rings, dovetail and 1.25" diagonal. I have a Nikon T-ring; the only adapter I currently have is the Celestron 2x Barlow T-adapter.

Is it better to get a 2" T-adapter or 1.25"? I'm guessing 2" is preferable? In addition to the cheap APSC Nikon body I've got full-frames I'd like to try as well; do they work better with the different sizes?

I'm hoping I can just chuck the camera on there with a 2" adapter and have it work like a 400mm prime lens; is that correct, or will I need a flattener / reducer to make it work?

Any other suggestions on stuff I haven't even considered? I'm pretty much in the dark here so any/all advice welcome.
Old 23-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Assuming that the rings come with a dovetail bar , either vixen or losmandy style then you should be good to start. Everything else you buy is designed around improving your images, or allowing you to image under different circumstances. Guide scope, autoguider, flattener, dew heater, battery pack, lp filter, auto focus system and software are some things off the top of my head that you may want eventually. The thing is though, when you start imaging you will notice imperfections and issues that need to be fixed , this is what drives the extra spending.
Old 23-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Just to add to that, the only other thing is the spacing. These focusers have a very long travel so it is not as big an issue as it is with other designs but just make sure you can achieve focus with your gear. It is nothing that a short trip to bintel can't sort out though
Old 23-03-2016, 05:23 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Cool, thanks. Yeah I'm aware of what a slippery slope it can be... Being a professional musician and amateur photographer I'm already well-stocked with money pit hobbies, but surely just one more can't hurt...

So no major benefit to 2" vs 1.25" T-adapter, for either full frame or cropped sensor DSLRs?
Old 23-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegableguy View Post
Cool, thanks. Yeah I'm aware of what a slippery slope it can be... Being a professional musician and amateur photographer I'm already well-stocked with money pit hobbies, but surely just one more can't hurt...

So no major benefit to 2" vs 1.25" T-adapter, for either full frame or cropped sensor DSLRs?
Sorry, missed that one. For a full frame you would want a 2" nose piece, that will limit the vignetting you will get, not sure if you can get away with 1.25 for a crop but it is better to get the 2".
Old 23-03-2016, 05:41 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

You can start imaging with the scope as is but a focal reducer and field flattener (ideally these would be one and the same) will help. Not speaking from my experience but from having watched Bert (avandonk) progress with his ED80 imaging over the years. I'd trade the 1.25" for a 2" asap.

But just try and do the best with what you've got and it will be obvious what you need to upgrade.